See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 15 August 2016 via mobile

Quite minimal rooms and a bit pricey, compared to rest of Sicily during high season, but handy location, nice balconies, really friendly and helpful staff and delicious coffee and croissants for breakfast - best in Italy - in sunny bar in ground floor. Great vibe.

Date of stay: August 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family
HOTELPOPULUS, Proprietario at Hotel Populus, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2016

Reviewed 1 August 2016

After realizing that our airbnb reservation was cancelled we have managed to find a place in Populus. Very nice location quite close to the center. We were located on the first floor, room was quite spaciosus, bathroom clean, the only the from balcony there was no view, but for the price perfectly fine.
Breakfast was sweet, small and deliciosus.

Date of stay: May 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 December 2015

My room was on the top floor. The size was OK but felt claustrophobic due to the bizarre choice of paint colour which was the exact shade of Heinz tomato soup. Creaky bed with a sagging mattress. Small, poorly lit bathroom with one of the weakest showers I've encountered. Key kept getting stuck in the door. Appalling wifi coverage, I had to sit in a stairwell two flights lower.

Ancient air conditioning system situated above the only space to place luggage; I awoke to a waterfall of water that had completely soaked my backpack.

Admittedly chosen for low price as well as convenient location, I wish I had paid ten or so euros more per night for a better room on Ortygia. Budget accommodation needn't be so depressing.

Date of stay: May 2015
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 8 September 2015

There are basically two area of interest in Syracuse: the archaeological sites on the mainland and the island of Ortigia. I chose this place because it looked like a reasonable compromise between the two. In fact though, I found it was a 15 or 20 minute walk to either; I would probably have done better to stay on the island and take a bus to the inland sites. The hotel is in the middle of a very residential district: no restaurants within easy reach (you pretty much have to walk to Ortigia).

Staff were reasonably helpful but spoke very little English.

Also, note that the rooms on the upper floor seem to be basically cabins built on the surface of the terrace. I rather doubt much in the way of inspection or construction codes went on... they are also very dark (no window except in the door). I would suggest you avoid that floor!

Wifi did not work in the room, but was OK in the lobby.

Room tip: Avoid the top floor cabins.
Date of stay: August 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 2 November 2014

We really wanted to like this hotel because of its close proximity to Ortigia and other Siracusa sites, but in the end, we could only tolerate one night and left quickly. Not only was the shower stall tiny, but the hot water cycled between extremely hot and cold which made showering impossible. Our room faced a busy street corner where kids, cars, motorcycles raced around all hours of the night and even with the balcony door closed, the noise was unbearable. WiFi was nonexistent in the room. Breakfast was sad - one cup of juice, one cup of tea/coffee, and one croissant. The bed was comfortable, though.

Room tip: all rooms face the street so bring earplugs
Date of stay: October 2014