Lowest prices for your stay
USD 115
Free cancellation until 04/11/21
Reserve now, pay at stay
USD 101
Free cancellation until 05/11/21
FindHotel
USD 68
PricelineUSD 77
Hotels.comUSD 101
eDreamsUSD 115
1,272 results
All reviews winston churchill old quarry swimming pool the air conditioning half board croissants four nights sea ortigia euro taxis greek italians francesco bridge
Selected filters
Reviewed 14 March 2017

Maybe it was the time of the year, very early in the season - it feels like entering history in all aspects. Driving up the long way towards the hotel "triggers" a lot of pictures. The receptionstaff is very friendly and helpful. Unfortunately then when you come to the room - I had a room out to the back - a loud noise comes from some machinery that makes it impossible to open the window during the night. The hotel has seen many days and many visitors - this is clearly visible. I would assume, that 4* have more "shine". I was there with a group of people - all were a little disappointed, but as I said - maybe it is to early in the year. (middle March) Breakfast was minimal and I would expect on a island that has Oranges hanging in the trees everywhere, that fresh orange juice is served in the morning, but this is not so. Also here, the staff are very friendly and trying to be helpful. The Dinner from my perspective is to expensive for what you get. Eating in nearby restaurant - local people eat there - is more than have the price and double as good. Well - what should I say? Would I go there again? I don´t know.

Room tip: Rooms towards the front are beautiful
Date of stay: March 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Carmelo C, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Villa Politi, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2017

we wish you come back ... at least just to change your idea on the biggest and most historic hotels in Syracuse. These last days are of low season for us and we are going to complete the restyling of the building to introduce ourselves splendidly in all those ones will choose us like you. So we apologize for any noise that disturbed your sleep. You bought a stay in a double room with a rich and healthy breakfast where surely without extra charge you could ask a freshly squeezed orange juice, an espresso, a cappuccino ... and all the cuddles that we reserve for all our Guests also with very low costs, the same cost that you paid in this period of low season! All Guests appreciate our kitchen and at the moment we offer a 3-course menu with a menu cost that’s almost equivalent to the cost of a menu at McDonald. I'm really curious to know where you have found something better and at less cost. On the contrary, I’m not curious at all, our guests are free to choose and ourselves recommend restaurants to discover and to try ... but please you don’t compare us with what you could eat at the bar near our hotel ... we are something else:) and I hope I could prove it if you will give us a new opportunity. We Wait You.. Best regards

Reviewed 20 February 2017

Had a weeks break and opted for this hotel in Sicily. The weather was fine and we had a great time. We were B & B. The facilities, staff and location were perfect! The breakfast on offer was superb and my partner indulged herself with prosecco for breakfast!
Will very happily go back!

Date of stay: October 2016
2  Thank piers2017
Carmelo C, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Villa Politi, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2017

: ) we will look forward to the G H Villa Politi!

Reviewed 23 December 2016

The entrance driving through the main gates someone in a previous listing described as ‘ you feel like you are driving in to a picture post card.’ I have to agree. As estate agents say the kerb appeal is magnificent. We had two deluxe rooms and both were extremely well appointed in every respect they were large and furnished to a very high standard. The bathrooms were equally as large with beautiful fittings They were very clean and the bedding was of a very good quality and the bed a very large double was extremely comfortable and we enjoyed one of the best night’s sleep on our trip in Sicily. The entrance hall with the sweeping stair case is very palatial, comfortable and welcoming even on a wet night in December. The drinks at the bar are served efficient in the entrance hall. The staff are very efficient and friendly we were quickly booked in .
The breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice and as much as you liked. It matched the high standard of our evening meal in the restaurant which was very delicious and with the three courses all of our party thought it was without doubt the best meal we had had in Sicily. The staff in the restaurant were very attentive and pitched at the right level so as not to appear overly intrusive, they helped to make our last night in Sicily memorable. The meal was extremely good value for money and including drinks was a very reasonable price.
The hotel has a great deal of character and charm. It is clearly a well-run and a well-managed hotel. All our party wished we could have stayed longer, we so enjoyed our stay, so much that we intend to look at coming back in the summer.

Thank you for a memorable stay.

Date of stay: December 2016
2  Thank Rob-joanne
Carmelo C, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Villa Politi, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2016

Come back in the summer, we wait you: when we will switch off the big fireplace to let place to the fresh of the park and the beautiful pool ... when after a swim in the crystal waters of our beach you can lose yourself in the streets of the wonderful island of Ortigia ... knowing that a good dinner waits you at the hotel, with a fresh and comfortable room for a quiet night, a rich and genuine breakfast and ... lots of cuddles.
COME BACK AT THE GH VILLA POLITI… WE ARE HERE FOR YOU:)

Reviewed 15 December 2016

A hotel with so much potential. that fails to achieve the shine. There is a grand dual stairway entrance, but once inside it is dark and tired. Although the windows and doors are all replaced, the outside is sadly in need of redecoration.
The staff are welcoming and helpful, and the food was good for dinner. breakfast was uninspiring.
Our room was spacious with a basic balcony, and the bathroom well refurbished. But details like no tea and coffee facilities in the room were lacking.
We used the pool area, but were surprised that there are no lunch or drinks available during the day, unless you ask the reception staff, who then had to find a beer in the bar area. Not good enough in a 4* hotel.

Room tip: Ask for room with a sea view
Date of stay: October 2016
1  Thank Sonja C
Carmelo C, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Villa Politi, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2016

Sorry to have disappointed you but frankly I don’t understand what: a great room, a good breakfast, a tasty dinner, attentive and available staff. For the rest: the swimming pool is outdoor in the park, so in winter is closed, as the bar that makes shorter hours (but certainly not missed the beer, even asked to the reception and OFFER by management). The absence of tea and coffee in the room is a precise choice of direction, I consider it unhygienic and it isn’t part of the Italian hospitality. The suffused atmosphere with lighted chandeliers and large fireplace has been defined dark and tired by you, but it's a precise choice to GH Villa Politi, in a world where we don’t often distinguish the night and the day with artificial light... but just turn on the big appliques, the majestic chandeliers and all the lights of the big park to shine of own light the largest and most historic hotel in Sicily. Greetings and Merry Christmas!

Reviewed 8 December 2016

We dropped upon the Grand Hotel Villa Politi by accident. We had booked a good but basic B&B as we are currently trying to save a few pennies and discovered on arrival that the owner had to cancel. It was my fault in that I hadn't checked my emails in a couple of days, but it reminded me that this internet thing works both way; it's east for both purchaser and B&B owner to backword fairly easily.

Thus a quick decamp to a local bar and a visit to my accommodation website of choice and I discovered a billet for around £60 a night at the four star Grand Hotel about a mile down the hill. My aged bones and heavy rucksack made the decision for me. Within the hour we were at check-in.

The grand hotel is indeed grand and the 100 room hotel dates from 1862 and looks much like a grand home with a wide sweeping front to it. Perhaps even more impressive or bizarre is that much of the hotel is surrounded by a big 100 foot+ hole. It was built on the grounds of the limestone mines which date back to the Greeks. This means the hotel isn't necessarily the place of choice for these not liking heights our room (next to the Winston Churchill Suite - don't you find any reasonable quality Med hotel has one; he liked the freebie holiday in his old age; and why not?) had an almost vertical drop from the balcony down 100 foot or so. However, I'm sure if you explained then they would sort you into a less precipitous room.

The wonderful thing about the hole is that you have no neighbours. At home we live a couple of hundred metres down a dirt track and so traffic noise is minimal. I was delighted that in a busy town we had the same lack of nuisance noise.

Check in was polite and efficient and we passed through the reception rooms which really have a classic wow factor; lovely marble flooring and wood panelling and doors and nicely proportioned rooms. Along a long corridor to the equivalent of the easyJet departure gate (the cheap seats at the end) and we were very pleasantly surprised by the size and quality of our room. It had two single beds pushed next to each other and was a goodly size, quite traditional and a slight yellow theme going on.

We loved that we had a balcony, and even better, this balcony led onto a spur of land usually used in summer as an outdoor space but in winter it had restricted access. It meant that each afternoon we had our own private terrace space with about 50 seats on it. Unless you end up with room 130 in winter, then please don't expect similar, but we loved our time with Spotify Jack Garrett and a bottle of wine.

Others have commented that the hotel is a bit out of town and requires a car. Now, to my mind a quick 20 minute hike into the town centre down a gentle slope is little hardship and we were perfectly happy with the location. There is a simple and friendly bar (Drago) just down the road if you want drink and food and the weather is terrible, and of course the hotel has its own dining room if you wish to use it.

The shower was good and we liked the free toiletries too; no problems there either. Breakfast likewise was very good with fresh fruit, cereal, yoghurt, bread, cakes, cheese, jams, tea and coffee galore.

To sum up we really couldn't fault our experience at Grand Hotel Villa Politic. We stay at a range of hotels and have stayed in plenty of quality hotels in our time. While in terms of look the hotel has style and class rather than modern and shiny, we liked the personal attention to detail, and that this is obviously a well run quality hotel.

While in the first week of December we did get something of a bargain price, I would have been comfortable paying much more for the pleasant and relaxing stay we had.

Date of stay: December 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Carmelo C, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Villa Politi, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2016

Not always beautiful things have an exaggerated price! This is what happens at G H Villa Politi, especially during the low season: for those who want to enjoy a winter holiday in Siracusa, G H Villa Politi is your warm house with the big fireplaces, welcoming and with a staff always ready to cuddle you. A dinner in our great restaurant, a reinvigorating sleep, a rich and healthy breakfast… these our main ingredients. Everything else has to be discovered in the millennial city of Archimedes. Thanks for choosing us and for your kind words. Me and all my staff wish you a merry Christmas and a wonderful 2017, perhaps coming back again to G H Villa Politi. We will be waiting for you ;)