See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 11 August 2015

This was a great place to spend the night for very little in Palermo, and I agree with others that the lead up to the place is CRAZY, with the palatial courtyard, grand staircase and random signs leading you to the door of Orientale. I, unfortunately, had a rather harrowing experience checking in with the Nonna who takes care of the place during the day when the owner is out doing errands - suffice it to say that I found myself outside with no key, no passport, no bags, and no idea how I was going to get back in later! Everything worked out well in the end, and the owner cleared everything up with me,

The place has a cool, old world feel, which means that there are creaks and groans and noises, but I found it added to the charm. The shared bathrooms are at the end of a long hall of rooms, upstairs from the lobby. With a soft bed, closet for our bags, small table and chair for writing, we didn't need anything more, and we were within 5 minutes of the train station. It's nothing spectacular, but it served well for one night. Don't go looking for a 5-star establishment here. Lower your expectations - you, and your wallet, will thank me.

Date of stay: September 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank skyisblu
Reviewed 29 May 2015

We arrived late at night and were transported immediately into another world. The communal courtyard full of used and disused cars, cats and washing; then the red marble sweeping staircase that took us to the first floor where the hotel was situated. It was a bonkers place and we loved it. We had requested quiet rooms not overlooking the main road so forfeited a window with a view but it was very clean and perfectly comfortable if a little basic. Good value for money and although the breakfast was a little sparse with coffee best left alone, it was more than compensated by the original painted ceiling. Very well situated, close to the station and one of the best Palermo markets, Ballaro which was operating even on a Sunday. Within walking distance to some major historic sites and the harbour area in the other direction. Not for the faint hearted or luxury seekers as no lift and slightly haphazard service as somewhat understaffed, at least at the beginning of the season. Wifi worked in reception area best as in all old Palazzi the walls are too thick for signals to travel far.

Room tip: Via Maqueda is a busy road so best to ask for a room overlooking inner courtyard to minimise noise at night
Date of stay: May 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Ann W
Reviewed 26 November 2014

If you prefer your hotels with history and character rather than bland uniformity, this hotel is a great choice. An original palazzo, used over the years as a film and fashion shoot set, you can feel the atmosphere as soon as you walk into the courtyard. Our room overlooked the courtyard and had a private bathroom so I think it was one of the better rooms. We could get wifi on the balcony so were more than happy with our stay. The location was great and we found the owners to be wonderfully accommodating. The breakfast is basic (apart from the delicious coffee) but the breakfast room is so beautiful you will hardly notice). If you want to sit in your room all day and you expect mod cons and "beige" decor I suggest you stay at one of the many hotel chains; Although you'd be lucky to find one for the bargain price of this little gem.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank WendyMaguire
Reviewed 13 November 2014

This hotel is charming with a long history and close to the train station&bus terminal ,but on the very noisy ,even more at night, street.
There was some episodes in this hotel.
A very elderly grandmother in the front could not hear the door bell sound . So I could't enter the room for a 15 minutes. And unwashed fruits were in the breakfast. It was terrible!
If I go back to Palermo ,I will stay at another hotel.

Room tip: Some rooms have bathrooms outside of the room.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 13 October 2014 via mobile

We have just spent 3 nights in Room 4. We took notice of the concerns about street noise and as our room overlooked the courtyard we had no problems at all.
A little chaotic at check in, though we did arrive from the airport (a really easy bus ride away) at just gone midday. All was resolved quickly.
Room a useable size as was our shower and both were clean. TV could only receive RAI5 but we weren't there to watch it!
WiFi is free but really only useable in public spaces.
Breakfast was fairly basic but fine.
A family run business and friendly at that.
Excellent value and we'd definitely return.

Date of stay: October 2014
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank John L