Overall, the hotel is in need over a general overhaul. Service was honestly terrible - every time we had to ask for anything (including check-in) we just seemed to be annoying the hotel staff. While I understand we were in Sicily and English is not the first language, we stayed in other hotels where English was understood. However, in this one they either pretended or really didn't understand us.
In terms of looks, the hotel was probably quite lovely about 40 years ago - everything just seems run down. My sisters and I said it reminded us from the hotel in the ride "Tower of Terror" at Disney World. Obviously this was a top notch hotel once upon a time, but now it is very run down.
Our rooms - we had 3 for my family - were just ok. We paid extra for 2 rooms for an upgrade and they were comparable to American normal room sizes (for a standard room), but the one that we did not upgrade was very tiny. They seemed as if they had been renovated recently, but there were some weird black spots on the floor in the bathroom shower.
- Breakfast that was included was very comprehensive (fairly standard for European hotels I believe).
- Location is wonderful - we could walk to many parts of the city and there are some nice restaurants nearby
My family travels a lot and stays in top quality hotels, so I will end by saying we have high standards - however this hotel did not live up to them. I
If you can get a deal on this hotel, it may be worth it for location. However be warned there is a slightly creepy vibe and worn down facilities.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- LOCATED IN THE HISTORICAL CENTRE OF PALERMO, SICILYFounded in 1874 and renovated in 1907 by one of the great masters of the Art Nouveau Style, Ernesto Basile, the exquisite Grand Hotel Et Des Palmes hotel exudes historical charm. Grand decor of marble floors and antiques combine nicely with very latest technology to make your stay a memorable one. The recently restored restaurant, bar and banquet room can host all your personal and professional events in great style turning them into unforgettable moments. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia APAC, Odigeo, lastminute.com.au, Hotels.com, Wotif.com, TripOnline SA, Hooroo Pty Ltd, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Grand Hotel et Des Palmes reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hotel Palermo
- Grand Hotel Et Des Palmes Palermo, Sicily