“Ice cream - just stop and have a beer!”
Review of Gelateria Roxy

Gelateria Roxy
Ranked #37 of 85 Dessert in Catania
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Reviewed 28 August 2015

I'm not a great fan of ice cream so won't comment on that but this place is just great to just stop and have a beer. It overlooks the Castello Ursino and had the benefit of being just where I stayed in Catania. Very friendly and if you want icy cold draught beer they get it from their restaurant next door. Its hot in Catania in August so take a little refreshment - ice cream or beer.

Reviewed 31 July 2015

THE BEST gelatto I had ever eaten in Italy. I would eat it every day if i lived there. Also nice location with view on castle.

Reviewed 18 July 2015

It's been a heck of a hot time here in Catania--unbelievable heat. I was up this morning and out the door of my B&B before 7AM to get the jump on the heat so I could take pictures in the "cool" of the morning--where "cool" means you are still hot but not so much so that your shirt looks like you took a shower in it . . . because, in the mid-day and on till the very late afternoon, that's what you're in for if you're out and about on foot in this present heat.

So, this lovely little gelateria is a perfectly situated place next to my B&B and also has the advantage as well as being directly across from the historic castle that is a real treat with its museum inside. I'd expected the museum to be something along the order of the old harbor castle's museum in Naples--a disappointment--but took the chance--and won the lottery. After a lovely visit in the museum, this is a great little gelateria at which to stop for refreshments.

I've eaten panini here twice, had an artisanal bottled beer the first time--quite lovely--and draft beer the second time--always lovely . . . a Moretti.

If you don't speak Italian, point to things! You'll manage, except if you want to fine tune your order for your panini. That's one where you simply won't manage to communicate clearly with sign language and pointing. No one spoke English the two times I was here. Well . . . one nice fellow did, but at the "hello" "bye" level, in other words, just a few words.

What I also like quite well about this gelateria is its proximity to Angel's House B&B. From the gelateria to the entrance of the B&B it's maybe 50 feet. If you have a beer or two and its in the evening, you might feel better knowing your distance to your room is seconds away. That became of interest to me after I read a review of another nearby restaurant for which here is an extract of the review: "The evening had started badly: they had just attempted to rob us as the car was stopped at a traffic light, so by the time we got to the restaurant the ladies were pretty shaken." I'm not quite sure what to think about personal safety in Catania, but, the review that I read on the other restaurant's site made me a bit more cautious so being able to have a couple beers at Roxy's and knowing my B&B was right next to me allowed me to relax and not be on guard.

Reviewed 18 May 2015

We came here about 3 times as we were staying nearby. Granitas and brioche were excellent and each time there were 4 flavours on offer (more gelati flavours though). Limoncellos were cheap too

Reviewed 9 December 2014

I had breakfast every day here, when stayed in City-In Hostel. Nice place on a calm street (in the morning), the croissant was fresh and the cappuccino delicious.