“Disappointing”

Doubletree by Hilton Olbia
Ranked #5 of 40 Hotels in Olbia
Reviewed 22 July 2017

Stayed one night but would not stay again as it was very overpriced, especially considering the location. The ten minute walk into the old town took us closer to twenty minutes and the route was trafficated and unpleasant.

Breakfast was ok but not worth the extra we paid. Cold mushrooms from a can, strange overcooked scrambled eggs and lukewarm tomatoes. Nice bacon though and the rest of the selection was fairly nice. Coffee from a machine.

Hotel room was large and clean with good sized bathroom. Tiles were broken and shower seal was mouldy though so starting to look worn. The air conditioning was really loud.

Nice toiletries. Excellent service when we checked in and friendly, attentive cleaning staff and serving staff.

I noticed the price had come down by a third today, not sure why. We stayed midweek and today is a saturday. Maybe you can get a better deal if you are lucky. I would not pay 170 euros for a double room mid-week again, it was worth half that. The hotel was empty too.

Room Tip: Good views from higher floors
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank anon197
DoubletreeHiltonOlb, Direttore at Doubletree by Hilton Olbia, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2017

Dear guest,
thanks for the nice notes about our service and team members.
I'm sorry about your disappointment but please, find as follows are breakfast menu

Croissant semplice, al burro, marmellata, fagottino al cioccolato, danesine.
Croissant: plain, buttered, jam and chocolate

Muffin, Crostata di marmellata, selezione di torte di nostra produzione e biscotti.
Muffin, Danish pastry, homemade jam tartlets and cake and biscuits

Prosciutto cotto e formaggio
Cheese and ham

Bacon e wurstel
Bacon and sausages

Pomodori, patate, cipolla arrosto
Potatoes, onion and grill tomatoes

Uova strapazzate
Scrambledeggs

Uova sode, Uova al tegamino, Omelette(su ordinazione)
Hard boiled Eggs, Omelets and fried eggs (on demand)

Frutta sciroppata

Selezione di cereali
Corn flakes, Corn flakes whole meal, Crispy rice, Muesli

Miele, Marmellate e confetture
Jam, Marmelade and Honey

Burro naturale, salato e burro di arachidi.
Butter, Saltedbutter and Peanutbutter

Fette biscottate, toast bianco e integrale
White and brown toast

Pane al sesamo, bianco, al latte, di segale e integrale
White sesame bread, Milk bread, Rye bread, Whole-wheat bread

Acqua gassata e naturale
Mineral Water

Succo d’Ananas, Ace, Mela, Pomodoro
Pineapple, Tomato and Apple juice

Spremuta Arancia e Pompelmo
Orange juice and Grapefruitjuice

Latte fresco intero, latte di Soia e parzialmente scremato
Whole and skimmed milk, Soya milk

Espresso

Caffèd’orzo
Barley coffee

Spumante o prosecco
Sparkling wine

I'm happy you perceived the hotel as empty no matter we are fully booked since months with 248 people in house. It means the hotel still looks peaceful and quite.
We hope to see you back in our property and we wish you a nice summer ahead.

There are newer reviews for Doubletree by Hilton Olbia

Reviewed 20 July 2017 via mobile

We recently stayed one week at the hotel.
Let's start with the positive things:
- Close to the old town (15 min walk)
- Nice people working at the hotel. Welcoming and helpful.
- Clean, large room. We had a big balcony too.
- Fresh fruits (melon, grape, orange etc) at breakfast.

Now to the negative sides:
- I have never spent so much time waiting for an elevator! There were only two, sloooow, elevators on this big hotel.
- Breakfast was ok, but lacked many things. The food was not always warmed up properly. You should think Italians know how to prepare the best coffee, but noooo. It tasted water...always...
- The pool area was among the worst pool areas we ever experienced!
There was a pool bar, BUT the guy working there was never there. When Hej! Was there, don't expect to buy lots of drinks!! A soft drink (Coca cola, Fanta etc) costs 4 Euros, a small beer (33cl) 5 Euros (!!), a boring green salad 10 Euros. The most cheap was a small bottle of water for 2,50 Euros.
We got the feeling that they did not want any costumers by the pool. If they do, it's a really funny way of working then!!
- No minibar in the room (only coffee/tea or water for 2,50 Euros!!)

They say it's a 4-star hotel. I would rather say maybe a 3-star?

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Miranda v
DoubletreeHiltonOlb, Direttore at Doubletree by Hilton Olbia, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2017

Dear guest,
thank you for your review. I'm sorry for your disappointment about the pool area.

However, our pool area is well equipped, always very clean and tidy. Our pool team it's always on duty, from 10 am to 7 pm and we are more than happy to have a lot of guests around! That's why we enlarged the area, we put more chaise longs, we built a brand new pool bar.

And yes, we definitely are a 4 stars superior hotel madam.
Have a lovely summer ahead !

Reviewed 20 July 2017 via mobile

Stayed here for my last night.
Deluxe room with large balcony, what you would expect from a Hilton hotel.
Clean, good size room and bathroom. All amenities included. Water available in the fridge €2.50.
Hairdryer okay, but cuts out when hot, usual wall mounted.
Good shower plenty of hot water. Plenty to choose from at breakfast.
Welcoming friendly staff.
The pool is very nice and large, plenty of sunbeds and not at all crowded.
The location is outside of Olbia centre, but the walk is a level 10-15 minute easy walk. I had read the other reviews and yes it does seem like it's a mirage in the middle of nowhere! But this really isn't the case. There are nearby bus stops. We chose to get a taxi to Pittulongu beach 20€ nice long sandy beach, the sea is not as clear as other areas but still very nice, rented beds and umbrella reasonably priced approx 20€.
Good waves, if you enjoy wave jumping! But still calm at times, the day we visited it was quite windy.
Worth a visit if you want short journey. If you don't mind a longer journey I would recommend Golfo Aranci.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends

Thank you, thank and thank you :-) We are happy you stayed with us even though for 1 night! And we are happy to read you wrote about our location not being so "in the middle of nowhere" like someone wrote !

We hope next time you will decide to stay with us. And if so, please, do not hesitate to send us an e mail so we can send you a suitable offer for your needs.
Have a lovely summer ahead!

Reviewed 15 July 2017 via mobile

In July 2017 during the summer holiday spent by my wife, I had an unhappy experience in this hotel. From the safe in the room we have been sitting for 3 days as we miss a women's watch and the glasses.
Observing their disappearance, I saw the reception for the disappearance of these goods.
That same day he told us that the manager should be expected until morning.
From here, there is a totally inappropriate episode of the place and the pretensions we are in: the attitude of the mangeer from the very beginning was a very aggressive verbal, not telling us to finally explain what was happening. He refused to accept that we were missing something and went into intimidation like: do not allow me to accuse my employees for lack of my own stuff, call the police to complain and give you out of the hotel in second second. This was due to the full payment of the entire stay - 9 nights and the reservation made a year before.
I mention that on the arrival of the carabinieri d manager he was even more aggressive - considering that he knew them and was on his own home in the country of origin.
After a while of talking and with carabinieri we asked to calm down, in the idea that I could not leave the hotel because the wife is in the first months of pregnancy.
We did not disturb the theft of our own things as it shocked us the attitude that we had of the kind of manager who should still respect the clients. Even allowed it to make an irony about the value of the 150 E watch: "if it was a Rolex I understood the complaint" !!!
The outcome was a "happy one" - in that we managed to convince her not to take us out of the hotel, but to stay until the end of the paid period and the next day that they left our watch disappeared in the medicine kit.
After this negative experience, I realized that there were also "miracles" from the manager, this after a simple complaint of a missing object in the safe of a hotel chain!
If I were an American citizen or a British citizen, I was allowed to manage this whole circus?

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank costinrogojina
DoubletreeHiltonOlb, Direttore at Doubletree by Hilton Olbia, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2017

Dear guest,
after all what happened and after our kindness in letting you staying in our hotel no matter what, it is kind of weird to read this comment.
So I will reply saying what happened in details as I want anybody reading this to be acquainted of it.
Since your check in date, you were creating issues for no reason, complaining all the time for no reason, trying to get upgrades and other extras for free. But it’s a part of our daily routine to deal with this kind of situations.
What is not within our daily routine, is what happened on the 29th of June. You went down to the reception late on that evening, yelling that you were missing a Fossil watch from your safety box.
First question our front agent asked you was “ Did you find your safety opened or broken somehow ?” you replied “ no, it was closed with my code”.
Meaning that your safety was set up by you with a personal code that only you and your wife knew.
Meaning no one could open it besides you.
No matter this, you directly accused our personal to have stolen the watch. You started to loudly complain and asking to talk to the manager immediately.
On Friday morning, the 30th of June, I have checked out our software who manage all the room access.
Besides the housekeeping at 10.14 am, you and your wife were the only one accessing the room, back and forth. You were waiting for me and I greeted you immediately, asking you to come into my office and to explain to me what happened. I let you talk and I replied showing you all your room access during that day in order to see the evidence of it. At the same time I told you it was not possible to open the safety without knowing the code. So even in the remote case of such a situation, how could have been possible ?
I have also explained to you that according to the local law, we are not responsible of any in room, in room safety loss. It’s also clearly stated on a sticker in front of the safety box door. Besides that we were not responsible, I have offered to you our help in order to indicate you the local police office to do a declaration of loss. And also, because you did not speak English well (not even understand it well) I called one of our maids who is from Romania like you in order to translate every single word.
You replied to me with your smartphone in your hand, with an intimidating and aggressive attitude that you were registering the conversation and you said “ if you don’t find a way to compensate me, I will post a comment on TripAdvisor, on booking.com, on Facebook, everywhere. I will write that in your hotel guests are robbed”.
I replied to you that I was not going to allow you to threaten me or my team for things we were not responsible and I called the police as you were very intimidating talking to me. That’s why I have also told you that you had to check out, that we would have reimburse all the rest of your staying (you were supposed to stay until the 9th of July) as we did not want anybody in our hotel threating us, intimidating us and accusing us for no reason. You completely change your attitude as soon as the police man arrived in the hotel when he asked you a copy of your documents and when you saw that I was not joking when I said I would have called them.
We went together in the room, we checked the safety box, we took picture of it and there was no sign of break – in. The police man asked you to go to their office to do the declaration and you said you did not want to. Which is kind of weird. If someone really think that was robbed, why he doesn’t want to go to the police ? You begged to stay in the hotel, to forget everything, that it was a mistake and you were very sorry about that. But still, you did not want to make any declaration to the police. At the end, I decided to keep you in the hotel no matter it was clear to see you made up all the story just because you were trying to get a discount somehow. The police man insisted so many times you had to go the police office and again, you said you did not want to do any declaration. It’s also funny to read now that you found your Fossil watch the day after. Why you did not tell anything that you found it ? You had 8 days to come in our property but you did not say a word about it. It’s clear to see you made up a lot of lies in order to try to obtain something for free. And because you did not obtain it, you are trying to defame us. We will keep the right to legally proceed against you and I am sorry I did not that day.

Reviewed 9 July 2017

One thing I don't understand about other reviews is the amount of guests who say the location isn't good - it's perfect! It takes a maximum of 15 minutes to walk into the town - the pavements are good and well lit all the way.

The staff were very friendly and efficient on arrival - the warm cookie they give you on checking in is delicious :)

The rooms are good - we had room 604 and although slightly disappointed not to have a separate bath and shower as advertised on the website for a luxury room (the bath is quite high to step into) it was a very comfortable room.

Breakfast was excellent, everything you would want - although coffee machine not brilliant.

The pool is the best we've ever had on trips to Sardinia, poolside towels are supplied for guests

We caught the bus from the airport to the hotel (number 2) which cost 1 euro - on our return to the airport we booked a taxi from the hotel which cost 18 euro

The number 4 bus - 5 minutes walk up the road by the bar/mini market, takes you to the local beaches

A large supermarket is a 10-15 minute walk away from the hotel

A great hotel, great location and we're going back again next year

Room Tip: Room 604 didn't have the best view - to have a view over the pool you'd need to be on the ot...
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank Jacqueline E
DoubletreeHiltonOlb, Direttore at Doubletree by Hilton Olbia, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2017

Dear guest,
thanks a lot for your review!! We are so happy about your description of our location as we do think it's not bad too! We are on a strategic position as you perfectly explained.

Hopefully your comment will be of some help for the other guests :)
we looking forward to see you next year!!
Many many thanks :)

Also consider these accommodations in or near Olbia
2.7 km away
1.6 km away
Mercure Olbia
Mercure Olbia
#11 of 40 in Olbia

Been to Doubletree by Hilton Olbia? Share your experiences!