“Quick evening meal ”

Taverna dai Matti
Ranked #95 of 1,155 Restaurants in Cagliari
Price range: USD 15 - USD 91
Reviewed 30 September 2018 via mobile

We had a set menu that was really good value. Seafood was fresh and tasty. I had spaghetti Vongole and fritto misto which was abundant . The coffee and wine that accompanied the meal was also good.

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed 2 September 2018

This restaurant is located in the city center.

You can sit inside or outside.

There are only a few tables outside that is why we decided to sit inside. Here the design is modern and simple.

The offers are small and the wine list is offering wines from Sardegna.

What a pity that 2 offers of the day are written on the mirror with white colour and almost nobody is able to see this.

We ordered and shared the fish plateau Royal charged with 30 €.

It was containing half of a lobster (which seemed to us not to be fresh and full of fish eggs), 2 small oysters, 1 portion of Tuna Tartar, cold slices of fresh fish, 4 fresh prawns, 2 Scampi.

We also ordered a bottle of red wine, Rocca Rubia, 23,00 €.

Before we got some fresh bread rolls and depending on our wish some butter.

Coperti for 2 was charged with 3,00 €.

My subjective rating:

Service: 3 points

Ambiance: 3 points

Value for money: 3 points

Quality and preparation of meals: 3 points

Wine offers: 3 points

Credit cards are excepted. Wifi is not available.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed 6 August 2018 via mobile

Try the lobster, it was brilliant! Ricardo, our Italian/Croatian waiter couldn't have been more friendly and patient with us. This would have been impressive on any account, but even more so given the fact of Croatia's recent defeat by the fabulous French in the world cup. We felt we really shouldn't bring this up in conversation, particularly given that Italy didn't even qualify anyway, the lobster spoke for itself. Viva Taverna dai matti!!!

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 21 July 2018

As I stopped to read the menu, the waiter was so charming and enthusiastic, that I could not help but be drawn in. As so often happens in Sardegna, they use charm rather than "hard sell" and you cannot help but want to stop awhile. In this case, I was not disappointed. This is a fish restaurant, and boy do they do it well. The staff are utterly charming, but also display a knowledge of their dishes that helps you to make a choice. I wanted to try the Sardegnan ravioli, called culurgiones, but the waiter told me I could not have them, as they contain cheese - a big no-no with fish in Italy. This was excellent advice, from someone who knows, and I proceeded to try the antipasto degustazone (a seafood starter tasting plate) which was mind-blowingly wonderful. there was carpaccio of (raw) swordfish, some calamari rings with vinegar (really sensational) and perhaps the star of the show, a "flan" ( a savoury custard) of Sardinian Pecorino with a topping of Bottarga di Muggine (grated cured Mullet Roe). I just want to go back and have it all again. I followed this with the mixed seafood grill. Gorgeous, Calamari, huge prawns and tuna. And a half bottle of the house wine, which was glorious ( and good value).
Sardinia does food well, and this area has a lot of restaurants, but this fairly new contender, deserves a special journey. If you are visiting Cagliari, you won't be disappointed.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 2 July 2018

As with most Italian restaurants portions are small so you tend to have at least 4 courses but that can tend to be too much. The meal we had was very nice but as I only had starter and a main not quite enough. Looking on the good side it left room for more beer.

Date of visit: May 2018