“Excellent seafood, nice wine”

L'Osteria Gioia & Gusto
Ranked #25 of 1,144 Restaurants in Cagliari
Price range: USD 17 - USD 69
Reviewed 5 July 2018

We tried to enter the place a few times, the learning was that you need to book in advance. However it worth the effort, the food is good and is one of the few places where they can grill the squid right. The menu is short however you have everything on it what you need for a good lunch or for dinner. We ate only seafood and had three different starters and three different main courses, each met high expectations. The desserts were good too, the tiramisu was one of the best I ever had and the zuppa inglese was nice too. We have tasted the white wine of the house, it was outstanding.
The service is fine, some reviews point on some issues around it. It is clear that you shall speak at least a basic Italian (or use your translator) and need to make sure that your order is taken. Then just enjoy. Thank you Gioia and Gusto for running this good place.

Reviewed 30 June 2018 via mobile

Italian seafood dining at its absolute best. We hadn't made a booking but arrived right at opening time and were squeezed in before a reservation at 9. Very attentive and friendly staff, the owner came by several times to check if we were happy. The tonno con tonno is an absolute must-try, it's simply divine! I've never had tuna this fresh before. The insalatina sepia, fritto and gnocchi were also very tasty. Definitely the best dinner we've had in Sardinia and possibly the best value for money you'll get in Cagliari. The area is worlds away from the tourist hot spots and the 1940s buildings surrounding the osteria make for a lovely after dinner stroll. Highly recommended!

Reviewed 31 May 2018

In a three-weeks vacation in Sardinia, we were traveling around the island; certainly, we had to come for the third time before going to the airport in Cagliari. We met Gustavo, the chef, who kindly introduced us the meal for dinner and made some delicious suggestions. You have to make a reservation, I did it through their Facebook page in a private message. BTW, don't miss out their "business lunch"!

Reviewed 17 May 2018

As I was staying very close to the restaurant, my friends from Cagliari took me to this amazing restaurant. I would not have gone there unless if they have told me too. My friends heard about the restaurant through their friends and we decided to try. It is a small restaurant so recommend to book. We arrived at 22:00 and we waited for a bit but it was worth a wait. We shared a sharing seafood platter and a lobster homemade pasta. Yum! We also shared a bottle of good red wine and lemon sorbet (homemade according to my friends). All in all, EUR70. Vfm!

Reviewed 6 March 2018

L'Osteria Gioia & Gusto is a real find. It's in a lovely area far from the tourist part of Cagliari. They didn't have an English menu, but my translator app helped me figure out what to order. The fried calamari was tender and succulent. The presentation was unique and it came with some pieces of thinly fried vegetables which were equally delicious.

We then ordered two pasta dishes.. homemade pasta with duck ragu and gnocchi with octopus sauce. Both were fabulous. One word of caution... the portions of these two dishes were huge, and the only disappointment was that they don't have the capability to give you the leftovers. We were salivating over the prospect of leftovers for lunch, but alas, that wasn't possible.

Dinner with a half liter of red wine was around $50!! I'd suggest making a reservation because on a Monday night, the restaurant was fairly busy.