All reviews before check in time the owner other guests old town close to the train station convenient location comfortable beds bari vecchia hostel david olives balconies laundry map mare fridge euros
Reviewed 9 March 2018

Very good experience indeed!Early check in went very smoothly and our double bedroom was nice,large and clean.Good and plentiful breakfast,convenient location just less than 10 minutes walk from the Old Town(Bari Vecchia) plus,last but not least,amazing,super friendly and helpful staff.Many thanks once again David for being such a lovely host.Fabio and I will surely stay again at your hostel next time we will visit Bari..a presto

Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 January 2018 via mobile

Arrival : wait until 5 pm in a bar if you arrive in the afternoon. You can't check in or bring your bag before 5 pm.

Breakfast : absolutely no fruits.

Noise : all rooms are on the side of the street with simple glass...

Commons : close at 10.45 pm. No way to eat something after because the kitchen is locked ! The only option to chat or read is your dormitory room (at least 8 beds ! )

Departure the airport : employees (who are not italians and who seem to be all volunteers) don't facilitate your journey : the train to the airport leaves the station at 7.49 am, 8.04 am and then... after 9.00 am. But the kitchen is locked until 8 am even if the employee is there : forget about your breakfast and if you had things in the fridge that you want to take with you and need to leave early, that is really too bad...

One last thing : there is a very bad mood that comes from the employees (probably all volunteers) and that does not ease the contacts between the guests !

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 7 January 2018

I got to the hostel at 14:30h, leaving me stranded since there is a lockout till 17:00h. I only found out about it, standing there on the pavement. I went into the bar next door to wait because walking through town is not cool with all your luggage. Two other guests had the same problem that day. So, 2,5 hours wasted. The bar personnel say that they see many visitors with the same situation.

Upon checking in, I was second in line. Once it was my turn, the staff member was fumbling around and I thought I'd help by pointing out my name that I saw written on the books. The reaction was 'What, are you in a hurry..?' It felt uncalled for.

In the morning I told the owner about the unexpected lockout the day before. Rather than empathizing, the reaction was that 'he can't afford full time staff in low season'. He also said that 'it is your responsibility to know about our check-in time from 17:00h because it is stated clearly online'.
Be that as it may; 'çheck-in' and 'lock-out' are two different things in my book. It would have been enough to be able to drop off luggage before check-in time. But outside the reception hours you can forget about it.

Upon re-checking the hostel confirmation e-mail, there was no mention of the lockout-times. If I would have known, I would have booked a different bus to Bari.
Yes, I believe reception times may be mentioned somewhere online, but it was not explicitly brought to my attention.

I don't mean to sound too negative here; all in all the owner is a fine guy and I would stay again.

Furthermore about the dorms;
- noisy street
- glass in the doors; hallway light shines through. A curtain would help

Again; beware of reception times as it could get you locked out if you newly arrive.

Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 11 September 2017

The staff was very helpful. We couldn't do the tours, because the guide had a problem with his car, but the staff told us how to go to the places by ourselves and it was great.
I slept well, the beds are really small but comfortable enough. Only three bathrooms and two after 11.30pm, but we managed.
The breakfast is not extraordinary, but good and in a satisfying quantity.
The price of the night is quite good, and the location of the hostel is perfect.

Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

It was my first hostel stay and it was a very good experience. The staff is extremely nice and helpful. The rooms and bathrooms were clean. There was some complimentary wine in the fridge and the other guests were really nice too. It is really close to the train station.

Date of stay: July 2017