All reviews before check in time the owner other guests old town close to the train station convenient location comfortable beds bari vecchia hostel david olives balconies laundry map mare fridge euros
Reviewed 7 January 2018

I got to the hostel at 14:30h, leaving me stranded since there is a lockout till 17:00h. I only found out about it, standing there on the pavement. I went into the bar next door to wait because walking through town is not cool with all your luggage. Two other guests had the same problem that day. So, 2,5 hours wasted. The bar personnel say that they see many visitors with the same situation.

Upon checking in, I was second in line. Once it was my turn, the staff member was fumbling around and I thought I'd help by pointing out my name that I saw written on the books. The reaction was 'What, are you in a hurry..?' It felt uncalled for.

In the morning I told the owner about the unexpected lockout the day before. Rather than empathizing, the reaction was that 'he can't afford full time staff in low season'. He also said that 'it is your responsibility to know about our check-in time from 17:00h because it is stated clearly online'.
Be that as it may; 'çheck-in' and 'lock-out' are two different things in my book. It would have been enough to be able to drop off luggage before check-in time. But outside the reception hours you can forget about it.

Upon re-checking the hostel confirmation e-mail, there was no mention of the lockout-times. If I would have known, I would have booked a different bus to Bari.
Yes, I believe reception times may be mentioned somewhere online, but it was not explicitly brought to my attention.

I don't mean to sound too negative here; all in all the owner is a fine guy and I would stay again.

Furthermore about the dorms;
- noisy street
- glass in the doors; hallway light shines through. A curtain would help

Again; beware of reception times as it could get you locked out if you newly arrive.

Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 11 September 2017

The staff was very helpful. We couldn't do the tours, because the guide had a problem with his car, but the staff told us how to go to the places by ourselves and it was great.
I slept well, the beds are really small but comfortable enough. Only three bathrooms and two after 11.30pm, but we managed.
The breakfast is not extraordinary, but good and in a satisfying quantity.
The price of the night is quite good, and the location of the hostel is perfect.

Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

It was my first hostel stay and it was a very good experience. The staff is extremely nice and helpful. The rooms and bathrooms were clean. There was some complimentary wine in the fridge and the other guests were really nice too. It is really close to the train station.

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 3 July 2017

First of all, I cant judge the hostel experience as I had a private room there. But for this price I was still disappointed.

- You cannot find the hostel easily from outside. No proper sign etc.
- No elevator, you need to ring a bell there and wait five minutes until someone opens you
- Room was big, but absolutely noisy. I was able to hear all the noises outside, many times hostel guests tried to come into mine as they got mixed up with the rooms.
- Breakfast was not really a breakfast
- Worst part was: I wanted to drop my bag and they asked me to pay 3 Euros for the storage. First time this happened to me, especially since I paid 55 Euros for the hotel I found this absolutely a joke. Cant recommend that place at all!

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Travelled on business
DavidP52_13, Manager at Olive Tree, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2017

Dear valuable guest,
Thank you for the review. Our hostel has a big sign which has been strategically positioned outside the hostel's entrance which reads Olive Tree Hostel. For added convenience it is also positioned next to a big number 90. Number 90 is the street number in the hostel's address which can be found on all websites that we are listed on. We are situated on the first floor (which is also stated on the sign outside the building) and we have a working elevator. For the security and comfort of guests staying in the private room, we have a door key. This allows guests occupying the room to lock the door and prevents other people from being able to enter unauthorised. Our breakfast includes freshly baked bread rolls, jams, cream cheese, nutella, a choice of cereals, fresh Italian coffee, a selection of tea, and a choice of fresh fruit juices. Our bag storage service is free before check in and €3 after check out. This fee allows guests to stay in the hostel all day and use the facilities including Wi-FI, bathrooms, kitchen and common areas.
Kind regards,
Olive Tree Hostel

Reviewed 20 June 2017 via mobile

This was a cool hostel with lots of balconies and open space. The staff were friendly and pointed out good things to do, see, and eat in the city. They also took care of my laundry for a small charge and let me hang out in the hostel after check out to wait for my ferry to greece later in the evening. I was in a 10 person mixed dorm but it was comfortable and quiet, and the people were friendly. It's a bit of a walk from the major sights but overall a good location. I would return.

Date of stay: June 2017