All reviewsphilippe starckdesign hotelwelcome drinkgrand canalrestaurant staffquiet alleyjunior suitecooked breakfastgood sizeprivate terracehotel entrancerooms are smallprivate water taxiour honeymoonperfect hotelspent nightsbeautiful room
Reviewed 5 July 2010

The Palazzina Grassi was quite a disappointment to us. We were looking forward to staying in a new, hip hotel in Venice. We stayed for three nights. While the design is attractive, we had multiple problems with the hotel. We had to change rooms twice, because the lights were not functioning properly. We also found the staff to have surprisingly limited knowledge of the city, in terms of restaurants and tourist attractions. For example, they could not even tell us where a nearby ATM would be located.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank foodie0075
Reviewed 21 June 2010

great room, excellent staff. Very good restaurant. I have stayed at the Gritti, and the Danieli, and I liked this hotel the most! This is a small, fresh, and quiet luxury hotel.
You feel at home here with everyone attending to your needs. I would go back to The Pallazina Grassi in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 April 2010

Another perfect place for modern art lovers!!! The hotel was made by Philippe Starck and that is explaining A LOT! Not only the rooms, but also the bar on the first place is just great - even if You are not staying in the hotel, come there (to the bar) for the aperitive (really good cocktails! )

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2010

I can appreciate that good design can be something of an achievement in itself but I wonder if it's sufficient to rely on the aesthetics of a hotel to replace the management that it is in absolute dire need of having. If you picture a beautiful ship sailing the high seas in a storm with no one acting as its skipper at the helm nor its captain tending to the rudder you get the feeling of what the recently opened Palazzo Grassi Hotel in Venice is all about.
The hotel boasts that this is Philippe Stark's first hotel in Italy and for that they should be proud but the glamour and excitement quickly ends there when the foibles appear everywhere and when the boat quickly takes on water.
Our fun begins soon after check-in where we try to turn on the lights of the room. To the left of the door is a consol of light switches that after 6 days I did not seem to quite master but which apparently turn off and on the lights in a myriad of options. Find me a simple on-off switch or a dimmer switch and I'm a happy person - perhaps I'm old fashioned but hey it's designed by Stark. Then to add to the mystery while working in the room in the afternoon the lights suddenly come on and the room is fully lit in the mid afternoon sun with no one in the room having touched any of the many light switches. Five minutes later they all turn off again without any effort or intent on its guests, namely us.
We search for the safe but it is not working so we take out and reinsert its batteries hoping that it will now allow us to enter a new code so that we can put our valuables away and we continue to have a non-working safe so we make due.
When the sun falls we are eager to get to sleep having roamed around the beautiful and mystical streets of Venice. The sheets are quite hard seemingly made of linen and not soft cotton that is commonly associated with the high thread counts of better sheets. The sheet under our bodies is not a typical fitted sheet that hugs the bed mattress but instead a flat sheet that is folded by hand around the edges of the bed. Naturally, when one moves around at night this flat sheet moves with you forming creases and wrinkles that begin to feel uncomfortable under your body as you lay down trying to sleep. Why in the world did they go for two flat sheets as opposed to one fitted sheet and one flat sheet is beyond me - perhaps this is another suggestion by Stark.
Call me traditional but when it comes time to sleep I am looking for a dark room that is quiet so that I can relax - not here though; at this hotel the smoke detector is directly above the bed and blinks incessantly in the night as I try to shut my eyes and sleep. Add to this another smoke detector at the front door of the room and you soon have what appears to be a small discotech of pulsating lights in your private suite.
We are offered two types of pillows, one made of foam and the other made of what appears to be a combination of feathers and other materials both of which are very high and both of which essentially wrench my neck upwards so as to make a comfortable sleep difficult. I bring this to the attention of the staff who agree that it is an important issue and yet who do nothing to resolve the problem. The fun continues...
In the morning we are tripping over our clothing for the Stark design apparently called for a stark interior devoid of any usable shelving to make the simple task of putting ones clothes away to be a challenge. I suppose this is another design issue that the hotel was challenged with in having to accommodate Mr Starck's designs, however in practice I think that most guests would appreciate ample storage room to put their clothing away so as not to trip over them.
The temperature in the room is set at a minimum of 25C (77F) a tad too hot for me as I prefer a cooler temperature when it comes time to sleep. However, I am not permitted to reduce the temperature below 25C as the setting of the thermostat does not allow this. It seems that this is no place for customer preferences to prevail. Add to this the fact that the fan in the room does not work and that the air becomes stale and does not feel like it is circulating and you soon have a very uncomfortable room. Since my complaints about the pillows and flickering lights were ignored I lose hope that any other issues that I bring to the staff's attention will receive any serious attention.
We head downstairs in the morning for breakfast and we order what we like from the menu, which is a nice treat. We watch the stressed out restaurant staff endeavour to cope with the trickle of orders coming from a room that is not quite 25% full. My partner's scrambled eggs arrive and I get to watch her eat them as I wait another 15 minutes for my omelet to materialize. It seems that the staff here are either unaware or do not care that we eat together at the same time and this is not an isolated event for it happened almost every morning that we ate at the hotel. On one particular morning, again when the restaurant was almost empty, my omelet arrived with toast as ordered and there was no sign anywhere of my bacon. About 25 minutes later, when my omelet was long gone the waitress presented me with a small plate of bacon, which I requested to be returned. She looked at me with a puzzled gaze not quite understanding why I might no longer want it, another sign of a complete lack of training or experience on the part of the wait staff.
On one afternoon at approximately 2:30PM we return from our morning walk to find our room has still not been made despite the fact that we had been out of the room for hours. We are puzzled as there are not many quests in the hotel - what are these people doing we wonder. After a long day of touring we try to sleep again, the lights are flickering still, the pillows have cramped up our necks and now we hear our neighbours opening and closing their hotel room doors despite the fact that ours is firmly closed. What conclusions can we draw from these issues? It is clear that the hotel is crying out for an experienced manager to train and guide the eager staff who sincerely try hard but who are desperately lacking the skills and training necessary to offer five star service. We ask for the manager and we are told that he only spends 20% of his time there and 80% of his time elsewhere! We are aghast - we wonder how they can expect to survive with no hands-on dedicated manager and with a crew of inexperienced staff - we pay our substantially expensive bill and we depart reflecting upon the experiences we have had and the ultimate insult of having a staff member skip the queue and steal our water taxi on a night when we were certainly in a hurry to make a social engagement - we vow never to return!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
12  Thank JimboBerlin
Reviewed 29 November 2009

I love staying in brand new hotels, and was fortunate enough to be visiting Venice in time for the opening weekend of the Palazzina Grassi. It is conveniently located on the Grand Canal, just behind the Palazzo Grassi. To get there we took a water boat to the San Samuele stop and it's just a few minutes walk. It's also on a vaporetto stop (we used the 2 line to the train station when leaving).

The hotel is small (26 rooms) and gorgeous. The Phillipe Starck designed rooms and the Murano glass is beyond impressive. We stayed in a queen room on the first floor, and was more than enough room for us. The bathroom was gorgeous-- nice rain shower and I especially loved the infinity sink (mostly for the looks of it-- a bit of splash back when washing my face). The bed had the highest threat-count sheets I've ever slept in and was amazingly comfortable. Mirrors everywhere in the bedroom. Seriously. All four walls and on the wardrobe.

The staff was extremely pleasant and made sure our stay was enjoyable. There were tiny opening-weekend type hiccups (a missing lightbulb in the bedroom, credit card machine a bit flaky), but definitely did not detract from the experience.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple