Hotel a La Commedia
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Free Internet
2,233 results
All reviewsrooftop barrialto bridgegrand canalperfect locationlovely hotelwater taxist marks squareturn down serviceupgraded to a junior suitegondola rideshort walkour honeymoonpastriesstayed here for nightswould definitely stay here againwould highly recommend this hotellarge bathroom
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Stayed three nights at the A la Commedia at the end of my tour around Italy and have to say it was absolutely fantastic.

For the last part of my trip I was travelling on my own, and the staff here did everything they could to make me feel welcome, unlike some other hotels who shoved me into box rooms at the end of corridors/tiny tables by the restaurant doors etc!

The hotel has a luxurious feel to it from the moment you walk in, and the plush, deep pile carpeting in the corridors adds to that feeling. My room was very large and very well equipped-everything in it was electrically operated, including the curtains.

The breakfast was superb, a fantastic selection of fruit compotes, fresh ricotta, warm breads and pastries.

The hotel was a little tricky to find at first, but that's half the charm of Venice anyway!

I cannot wait to return.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 22 April 2012

This was our first stop on a two week trip to Italy, and it was a pleasant way to begin. We took the Alilaguna water taxi from the airport to the Rialto bridge stop and, from there, it was about a four minute walk to the hotel. We arrived at around 1pm and were greeted very warmly and showed to our room right away. The staff, without exception, were very nice, helpful and professional. The hotel and room were immaculate and the whole place was obviously very well cared for. The rooms are typical for Europe in size, but very opulent. We had a King bed with high quality linens and drapes, and ornate, polished decorations like Murano glass wall mounted chandeliers. The bathroom was huge and even more lavish than the room with, among other things, towel warmers and a 12" diameter shower head. I was surprised at the quality of the place because I booked it through an online tour company and it was an upgrade that cost only a little more per night (about $25) than the bargain rate place, located on Lido Island, suggested on the original itinerary. I should also mention that the package included the hotels buffet breakfast which was excellent; fresh food and plenty of variety.
I don't spend a lot of time in hotels when I travel, so all of the stuff I just mentioned was just a bonus to me. The location of the hotel was the best part of the experience for us. It is a perfect base point to make any destination on the island comfortably accessible by foot. My wife and I walked everywhere in Venice from that hotel and did this at quite a leisurly pace. It is minutes, literally steps, to the Rialto Bridge where you can cross the canal on foot, or jump on the water taxi. Minutes in the other direction and you will be in San Marco Square and everything that has to offer. On two evenings we walked from the hotel to the Cannaregio*** for dinner and the walk back was just right to help get the blood flowing again after a great Italian meal. If you don't wish to wander too far from La Commedia, there is shopping, dining and entertainment ( Teatro Goldoni) in the immediate vicinity. One evening we saw a bit of Vivaldi performed by a small string ensemble in a church around the corner from the hotel, which was very enjoyable.
If I return to Venice any time soon I would, without question, stay at La Commedia.

***I highly recommend the Cannaregio, by the way, if you want to get off the beaten track and venture where few tourists ever seem to go. Here you will find restaurants and cafes along the Fondamenta Misericordia and Rio di S.Girolamo that are the real deal and frequented by locals. If you go during the day and early evening, it's very peaceful. Later at night (after 9pm), some of the places get very busy, so plan accordingly.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank DLM212
Reviewed 20 April 2012

We booked through Citalia, flew with Jet2 from Manchester, and used the Alilaguna water bus from the airport to Rialto. The directions given on the hotel's website were very clear and it was easy to find - literally a two-minute walk with no bridges to cross.

The greeting could not have been warmer, with a very efficient reception. A member of staff took us up in the excellent lift to our room on the first floor. The room was an elegant gold and cream, very tasteful and restful. There was loads of space, with a desk, table and two easy chairs as well as the canopied bed. The bathroom was well appointed with plenty of space around the washbasin, a bath with both a hand shower and a fixed overhead one, and a bidet. There was good drawer and hanging space, certainly adequate for two people for a week. The cupboard contained a large electronic safe. There was also a well stocked mini-bar, with no restrictions on keeping your own water in it. The room was at the back of the hotel, with double-glazed windows overlooking a normally quiet lane. The room was cleaned and tidied each day, and bedding turned down in the evening, with a couple of sweets left on a card with the next day's weather forecast - a lovely touch.

The bar was friendly, warm and comfortable, with plenty of atmosphere. The price of drinks was not excessive when compared to the usual high cost of alcohol in Venice.

Breakfast was the usual continental mix of fresh fruit, yoghurt, cold meats and cheeses, with a variety of cereals, breads and crackers. There was also scrambled eggs and bacon - we didn't ask for anything extra, but I guess they would have cooked eggs to order. Tea or coffee was served at the table (the coffee, of course, was excellent)!

La Commedia is perfectly situated, being two minutes from Rialto and 10 minutes from St Mark's Square. There are plenty of restaurants and shops on the way to Piazza St Marco.

The staff were friendly and helpful at all times, and spoke excellent English. Checkout was smart and efficient, with no delay.

I have no hesitation in thoroughly recommending Hotel a la Commedia for any length of stay in Venice.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steve L
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Our travel agent, Beach Bum Lisa, picked the La Commedia for us as our last stop on our first anniversary trip thru Italy. We were very impressed. The hotel oozed luxury. The front desk staff was as expected, very nice and knowledgeable, and even helped us save a little money by arranging a group gondola ride with other guests at their hotel. La Commedia was very well kept and met all of our expectations, even exceeded them with the gold inlay in the bathroom floors. I don't know why, but that still sticks with me even after our entire trip through Italy. I guess it was just symbolic of just how much La Commedia personified luxury, even though we tried to travel on a budget. I would absolutely recommend staying here if you are travelling to Venice.

Room Tip: Let them know if you are traveling for a special occasion like a birthday or anniversary to get one of their best available rooms
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We stayed here for a our 31st Wedding Anniversary in April. The hotel staff were well informed about local attractions and restaurants and always courteous and helpful. They were willing to arrange local excursions and make table reservations for us. They arranged a shared Gondola trip for us that cut down on the cost considerably.
Our room on the 3rd floor was clean and very comfortable with every facilty that one could wish for. We did not experience any disruption from outside noise. The choice offered at breakfast was excellent. The hotel is in a central and convenient location for St Mark's Square and the Rialto and within comfortable walking distance of the Water Taxis and the Vaporetto. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple