See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 12 September 2015

This is probably the cheapest accomodation in the centre of Venice. I didn't mind a concept of a shared bathroom or a super basic equipment of the room. But come on, it was so disgustingly dirty everywhere that it was almost on a brink of being a health risk.

The only good thing there is its great location (near a vaporetto station and in a walking distance to every monument in Venice) and a good price.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Barbora B
Reviewed 2 September 2015

Everything is horrible, since you enter until you leave. Don't be mistaken with the images you see because they aren't updated in a while, believe me.
We booked for 3 nights, but because we changed our plans we needed to cancel just the last night. The day before we went there I called the hostel and told the owner about our situation, he told me there wouldn't be any problem since their policy is 24h cancellation, but we had to do directly in the site where we made the reservation, of course i tried it before but from the phone we only could cancel the whole reservation and not one night alone, so the owner told me to wait 'til we got there because he had computers where we could do it, and that's what we did.
So, when we got there we were surprised about the location of the hostel because it was really in the center of Venice, but our surprises started and ended there, because when you looked at the building it had nothing to do with what we've seen in the pictures, the building was really damaged. But the worst is yet to come...
We entered the hostel and it was even worse than the outside, there was dirt and dust everywhere, just see the pictures with your own eyes. But even with that we were giving the benefit of the doubt, so we walked to the reception to do check in.
When we got the reception there was another group making the check in so it was a bit confusing, because the owner is old (and senile). Before making the check in, he did us a tour around the hostel and everything got even worse. When we got the shared bathroom, the toilet had a paper saying "THE TOILET DOESN'T WORK, USED THE BUCKET", and I'm not kidding, you really had to use the bucket... The bathroom looked like it hasn't been clean for ages. When we were getting back to the reception, he introduced us to his "right arm" that told us "run from this place while you can, welcome to hell".
Even after this we still wanted to stay there because we hoped that the rooms were a bit better than everything else. So we started the check in, the owner doesn't even have a calculator, so he just makes the sum the old fashion way (which took him half an hour), we payed the two nights and then he remembered that we needed to cancel the last one (yes, because he doesn't know the reservations that he has), he told us to go the computer and cancel the last night, but the computers didn't work. And there it was, drama. The owner started arguing with us, screaming that if we couldn't cancel through the site we had to pay the night, he admitted that he signed a lot of policies with the site and he didn't knew half of them, he told us to call the platform or send an e-mail, I called 5 times and sent an e-mail and I'm still waiting for an answer and it's been over a week. After I told the owner that I wanted my money back and I was leaving, he said that he would "offer" that last night and would put us in a better room with private bathroom, we agreed and went to leave our bags in the room.
The room was disgusting like everything else there, the sheets had pink stains all over them and we almost puked when we saw the bathroom, but still we left our things there and went to see the city.
The bathroom was so bad that we bought a disinfectant to spread around it when we got back at night.
When nothing could get worse, one of my friends went to take a shower and that was when we discovered the there's no hot shower. Of course the ower forgot to tell us that the private bathrooms don't have hot water, only in the shared one. That was it for us. We gave up the money that we already spent, packed our things, and prefer to spend the night in front of station than staying there for 5 more minutes.
When we were in the common room looking for other hostels, the owner passed by and laughing in our faces just said "Oh, I see, you just don't like the dirt" and then started singing opera around the hostel, joking about us. Yes, this is an owner of an hostel.
It was the worst place I've ever stayed and it should be closed because it has a lot of health care problems. If you want to stay in Venice, run from this place.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends
2  Thank InesVFernandes
Reviewed 22 November 2014

I stayed in Archie's House for one night, just because I missed the last train to Milan and needed an emergency accomodation on a very tight budget.
I paid 21 euro for a place in a 4 bed dorm, with a private bathroom without heating (Venice in november is very cold and humid) and hot water. The only hot shower as in the communal bathroom (1 shower for the whole hostel). The bed linen was clean enough, but everything else was filthy and very poorly mantained. The dorm was so chilly had to sleep with my clothes on, including my coat and wool hat, and wrapped in two rather smelly blankets. My dorm was on the second floor and the street below is very noisy, because there are late night bars and cafes. As a woman travelling alone I didn't dare to sleep outside, but I would recommend saving their 21 euros to groups and tough individuals: a bench in a Venice square is not much worse and much more scenic.
Only positive sides: excellent location and friendly staff

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Valentina72
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Bar none the worst hostel I have ever stayed in. Everything was extremely dirty - I didn't even want to shower because the bathrooms were so unclean - and the mattresses were INFESTED WITH BED BUGS. I woke up with bites all over me every night, literally was eaten alive and am still scratching days later. There is no heating so nights are freezing cold and the outlets don't work unless the bedside lights are turned on so we had to sleep with the lights on all night (so our cameras/phones would be charged by morning). The location is really great, but even so it was NOT worth the horrid experience I had staying there. Unless you literally have nowhere else to go, AVOID THIS HOSTEL AT ALL COSTS. I think I'd sooner sleep in the airport than go back to Archie's House for another night.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I don't usually make a habit of writing negative reviews but I think the general public need to bed warned about this accommodation.
We stayed four days and the one bathroom that is shared between the WHOLE fully booked hostel wasn't cleaned once. I informed a member of staff that there had been blood in the bottom of the toilet for three days, they did nothing about it, they went back to bed. (It was 10am).
I never saw the staff do any form of cleaning the whole trip. The only time I saw the staff at all was if somebody was checking in. If you needed something you had to disturb them while they were in their own rooms.
There were clumps of dirty build up all over the bathroom floor.

The "kitchen" was a fridge and a toaster there were no spoons, knives or forks.

If you get bad asthma or allergies the place is covered in dust.
The rooms were full of Mosquitos regardless to whether you had your windows closed at night. (The rooms were like saunas).

Te positives were:
We didn't have bed bugs
Yes ari (Archie's son) was very nice and helpful if you could catch him (no one was ever sitting in the office if you needed them).
The location was perfect!!!

I would pay a little extra and stay somewhere lovely and give yourself somewhere decent to relax, as Venice is beautiful

Honestly, I believe this place is a health risk.

• Stayed: July 2014