“Nice hotel in quiet Dorsoduro neighbourhood.”

Hotel Messner Palace
Ranked #304 of 386 Hotels in Venice
Vancouver, Canada
“Nice hotel in quiet Dorsoduro neighbourhood.”
Reviewed 30 November 2011

Hotel Messner is a nice hotel in a very nice and quiet Dorsoduro area of Venice.
This relaxing and artsy neighhourhood makes a nice escape from the many tourists in San Marco without being very far from the action. The hotel is located a short walk from the Salute Vaporetto stop as well as close to the Traghetto stop that will take you across the Canal Grande. We had a room in the Annex that was average size and was clean. Breakfast was included and had a good selection of food including cereal, yogurt, meat and cheese. We had dinner at the hotel on one evening that was very good. I had sausage and polenta and my wife had spinach and ricotta cannelloni. Price for the room was also very reasonable, especially for Venice.
The best part of being in Venice is getting lost while walking through the many neighbourhoods. We would stay at Hotel Messner again, especially because we enjoyed being in a neighbourhood away from the tourist scene.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MarkStef

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Milano
Reviewed 18 November 2011

We found this hotel in our search for a last-minute room in Venice.
The hotel is conveniently located five minutes walking from La Salute church, where there is also the boat stop. We arrived directly from the train station (line 1).
We realized that there is a three stars hotel in the main building, while the cheaper rooms are located in a near structure. Room was ok, overlooking a garden. It was silent and extremely clean. Heating was ok as well. Bathroom was tiny, but water was hot and good towels were provided. We couldn't make the TV work though.
Breakfast is served in the restaurant in the main building. There was a good selection of pastries, fruit, jogurt, teas etc..
The staff was kind and extremely helpful, we had an enjoable stay at Messner.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank love78
New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 October 2011

I stayed at Hotel Messner for 4 night in early October 2011. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised with the room, which was on the 1st floor of their main buildings. The room overlooked the canal and had 3 windows with shutters and a small balcony facing the canal. The room was clean, neat, and well kept. The bathroom was small, but had everything in it. The restaurant was o.k., but sometimes when it was busy service was rather slow. The people at the reception were as helpful as they could be considering their limited English. The only thing I am not happy about is the inadequate response to my inquiries regarding items I accidently left in a drawer in the room. I inquired twice by phone and on the receptionist's suggestion send the hotel one inquiry by e-mail. However, a week after my initial inquiry, I still have not been able to find out whether my property was found.

Room Tip: Reserve early and ask for a room in their main building. I have read many negative reviews about the...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Wilhelmina87
Lancaster, Ohio
Reviewed 8 October 2011

Just stayed at the Hotel Messner for 10 days and found it delightful. I had a beautiful corner room overlooking the Rio Fornace and looked forward to 'coming home' at night. The staff was very accomodating, helpful, kind, and friendly--they never turned down any of my requests for assistance, and in fact, went out of their way to be of service. The location is great, just behind Salute and across the Grand Canal from San Marco. I would happily send any of my friends there.

Room Tip: Rooms 9, 10, and 11 in the main building were nice.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank OverworkedMom48
Haifa, Israel
Reviewed 19 September 2011

Stayed there during the mask carnival. Room was specious and clean, so the bathroom. Breakfast was OK, they have also good restaurant. The Location is pretty good - close to the canal - and one boat stop from S. Marco. Although the hotel was rated as 2 star - in my opinion it was better than most of 3 star hotels that I visited in Europe. They have one more building, I stayed at the one with the reception and the restaurant, so, I can’t tell about the other.

Room Tip: Book several months in advance. See my note about the two buildings.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled solo