1,509 results
All reviewscharming hotelcourtyard gardentucked awayfamily suitemark's squaresan marcoquiet alleyantique furniturela fenicesingle roompastriesbreakfast roomrooms are smallperfect locationold worldbreakfast was deliciouseach morning
Reviewed 9 January 2013

We stayed for 2 nights from 1-3 January 2013, arriving in Venice very early in the morning on a train from Milan (which left at 06:35 on New Year's day!!), feeling tired and pretty miserable. We walked into the hotel just after 10:00 exactly as the previous night's guests were checking out, having breakfast and there was a general hectic vibe in the lobby (the hotel was full the previous night). Despite this, the gentleman at the front desk welcomed us with open arms, as if we were long-lost friends who had returned! He immediately arranged to safely store our luggage until our room was available for check-in, arranged for some cappuccino’s to be served to us in the lovely courtyard garden (on the house!), showed us to the restroom to freshen up etc. We felt extremely welcome!

Location of the hotel is absolutely perfect, around the corner from a water bus at St. Marco. Make sure you download directions from the hotel's website before you travel - they are very clear and if you follow them correctly, you won't have any problems finding the hotel at all.

Don't expect a modern hotel: it is quirky and slightly dated, but truly unique. Our room was on the ground floor (number 37), through the courtyard, not very big but more than adequate and very clean. The bathroom was a suitable size and didn't present any problems. I found the mattress a little soft and sloping to one side, and the furnishings a little "antique"-looking for my taste (though the advertised pics on their website are accurate). But, all in all we were so tired from walking around this wonderful city, these are small matters when all one wants to do is collapse in a heap!!

Breakfast was good, in a cozy (and, again, quant!) breakfast room. Pleasant waiters in attendance, very talkative and fun.

We would definitely stay here again, but won't recommend it if you're looking for a modern hotel. It is just not that. It's a lovely, warm, family-owned establishment that gives you a true piece of Venice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with view of the lovely courtyard
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank dbruwer
Reviewed 2 January 2013

It's a charming, quirky hotel. Perfectly comfortable and clean, excellent help/advice from the concierge and best of all is its location. The hotel would make a mistake though if it got any more expensive.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank J2O186338
Reviewed 2 January 2013

We stayed at the this hotel for 3 nights. The location of the hotel is excellent as it's a 5 minute walk from St Mark's square and the San Marco Zaccharia waterbus stop. Be aware that the hotel access is on Calle XXII Marzo between two stores and you have to carefully look for the hotel sign, which depending on your direction of travel and time of day, can be blocked by store canopies.

The included breakfast was good and the light dinner (reservations required) was also tasty and nice for sore feet. The staff were very helpful and the service was great.

Our hotel room (#19) was the smallest double room I've ever had. It was only big enough for the bed and two night tables and was very clausterphobic. It is also next to the elevator so you get noise from that. The bathroom was the smallest I've ever had to use. I could touch all the walls without even extending my arms all the way (I estimate it is a little less than 4' x 5') and the shower was very difficult to use.

We asked for a bigger room but unfortunately the hotel was fully booked. I think if we had been able to get a bigger room further away from the elevator, I would have been more positive about our stay. For Europeans used to cramped spaces, the hotel room would probably have been fine, but for us Americans we're just used to more space. I have travelled extensively all over the world so I'm not evaluating the hotel based solely on US comparisons.

The price doubling on the weekend was also not great. I'd therefore recommend this hotel at non-peak times when you can get a bigger room for a reasonable (by Venice standards) price.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Mostly_business1
hotelflora, Proprietario at Hotel Flora, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2013

Dear Guests,
I read your review with interst and I apologize if we couldn't change you in a different room. We always try to satisfy our guests'needs but unfortunately the hotel was complitely fully booked on those days. In case of a future visit we would invite you to check all the different types of rooms except the moderate ones, so that you could have a different taste of all our other rooms. We are very glad that you appreciated our service, our Staff and our breakfast and we sincerely hope that this may remain part of your nice memories.
I remain at your complete disposal .
Yours sincerely,
Gioele Romanelli

Reviewed 31 December 2012

We traveled to Venice during the floods in November 2012, so the rates we got at Hotel Flora were really an amazing value. I am basing my review on those rates (less than 90 euros/night). Keep that in mind if you're considering booking at a much higher rate.

The location is perfect. You are a few minutes from St. Mark's Square in one direction and a few minutes from Accademia Bridge the other direction. The hotel itself is such a little retreat - the vines, the courtyard, the tucked away building. It's very charming.

We booked two rooms and upon arrival were shown the first room (#2), which was huge and had tall ceilings and a great bath and shower. The second room was a disappointment (#5) - barely any room to move around, low low ceilings and a bathroom that even I (5 foot 1, petite frame) had trouble moving around in. Teeny tiny. We asked to be moved and were put in a room on the third floor that was much bigger than #5 but nowhere near the #2 size.

I am not sure if it was because we asked to be moved, but for the rest of our stay we definitely had a little "attitude" from one of the front desk staff members. He was very cold and not welcoming at all.

The breakfast in the morning was great. We loved our friendly waiter and there was a lot of good food to choose from (coffee, also, was great). As others have said, they have free wifi.

Even with the flooding, we had an amazing time in Venice at Hotel Flora. For the rate we paid, we were very satisfied with the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window out into the courtyard. Those rooms had higher ceilings and were more spacious.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank smarin3
Reviewed 23 December 2012

Free Wi-Fi and super close to the main square. Most things were within walking distance. There was a light dinner option at the time we went you could select and it was delicious. The staff was extremely friendly on assisting us with directions and overall accommodation. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple