“Masks & Costumes Fit for Carnival”
Review of Atelier Marega

Atelier Marega
Ranked #13 of 319 Shopping in Venice
More attraction details
Owner description: In the heart of Venice, Atelier Marega means a wide range of masks: from the typical Venetian ones, the most fanciful and colored ones, to huge creations used also for smart fittings and furnishings. Mask are made of "paper-mache" according to the ancient traditions dated back to the beginning of the XIVth century. Morever, you can rent or buy theatrical and historical costumes, accessories, three-cornered hats, mantels, wigs, shoes and tuxedos. We are open every day from 10 AM to 7.30 PM. We have four shops in Venice: -Calle Larga San Polo 2940/b, Venezia (vicino alla chiesa dei Frari) -Fondamenta dell'Osmarin 4976/a
Reviewed 2 March 2017

It was a most special experience to rent costumes and buy masks at Atelier Marega in Venice as part of our 2017 Carnival experience. They worked enthusiastically and patiently for over two hours as two of us were fitted for our Carnival costumes, our friend Shing danced a little jig to celebrate & then they hosted a most successful Cazanova Grand Ball in Ca Zen on February 25th. Thanks to Atelier Marega, the ball was a most enchanted evening.

Steve, Judy, Shing & Yvonne

Reviewed 1 March 2017

Even under the intense siege of cheap made-in-China plastic masks, authentic artisans like the ones in Atelier Marega continue to stand their ground in preserving the Venetian arts despite of the disadvantages.

Atelier Marega is one of the few shops that continue to handcraft the traditional carnivals that give Venezia her famous identiy. Like typical artisan shops, the masks are relatively pricey with the cheapest ones being more than €20, and that stopped me from purchasing the first time I was in. However, after comparing to few including the most famous Ca' Macana, this shop definitely has the most beautiful masks around, and I actually went back to buy one!

I like Marega's masks the best because they continued to preserve the traditional look but also add a little pazazz such as the music sheets to give a Phantom of Opera vibe. I think this shop's creativity of stepping a little in the modernity while maintaining the tradition allows their masks to stand out from both fellow artisan masks and cheap plastic masks.

Also, at the same price level, Atelier Marega's masks are actually much more ornate than their competitors!

Anyway, support the Venetian artisans! Venezia is not only a sinking city but also a dying one as locals are getting pushed out by cheap imports killing local business and high housing cost making living expensive. With so many beautiful unique masks to choose, Atelier Marega makes supporting this noble cause easy!

---
tl;dr version:
1) One of the few remaining authentic Venetian mask makers
2) More beautiful and unique masks I've seen than elsewhere
3) Recommended for your Venetian mask purchase

Reviewed 22 February 2017

This is a thriving shop with unique, beautiful, authentic Venetian costumes and accessories. You will find lots of things made in China and finished in Venice....But not at this shop....it is all made in Venice and is all beautiful. Will return for Carnival next year!

Reviewed 17 February 2017

It was amazing. I am not a normally proportioned person and fitting me is usually a challenge. They were able to fit me into an attention grabbing authentic costume that made my Venice experience unforgettable! I felt like a celebrity with tourists taking pictures of me in my costume.

1  Thank Edgar T
Reviewed 14 November 2016 via mobile

Must see in Venice, eye catching store.You can buy beautiful souvenirs from this shop and staffs are great.