“The best place to buy masks in Venice”
Review of Atelier Marega

Atelier Marega
Ranked #6 of 335 Shopping in Venice
More attraction details
Owner description: In the heart of Venice, Atelier Marega means a wide range of masks: from the typical Venetian ones, the most fanciful and colored ones, to huge creations used also for smart fittings and furnishings. Mask are made of "paper-mache" according to the ancient traditions dated back to the beginning of the XIVth century. Morever, you can rent or buy theatrical and historical costumes, accessories, three-cornered hats, mantels, wigs, shoes and tuxedos. We are open every day from 10 AM to 7.30 PM. We have four shops in Venice: -Calle Larga San Polo 2940/b, Venezia (vicino alla chiesa dei Frari) -Fondamenta dell'Osmarin 4976/a
Reviewed 27 May 2016

Loooooved this place! I was looking for beautiful, high quality pieces of art to take home and my hubby found this place for me. Felt transported in time. Wonderful masks, real masterpieces, some very simple and classic, other very elaborated and unique. I have two of them home now but I will definetely order some more as I love venetian masks. This is an expensive place. The masks I bought were around 400 euros each

All reviews
"tourists"
"euros"
"opera"

Reviewed 20 May 2016 via mobile

Just go here if you want to buy beautiful, hand painted, wonderfully crafted masks. We loved the owner (he has two shops) and whilst we visited many shops this was the one we returned to and purchased from. He was so lovely he even shut his shop and took us to a nearby restaurant he recommended so that we didn't get lost!

Reviewed 20 May 2016

While visiting Venice, I made it a priority that I wanted to procure an authentic Venetian mask before leaving. After looking up several reviews, Atelier Marega was the one store that consistently appeared to receive high marks accolades. They were well deserved. The store was beautiful and exquisite, and the staff were very helpful and attentive. The mask I wanted was on display, and they wrapped it up for me in no time. If you have an urge to get yourself a mask while visiting the City of Canals, look no further than Atelier Marega!!!

Reviewed 7 April 2016 via mobile

A beautiful store, packed with carnival masks and costumes made by hand, plus a workshop at the back so you get a glimpse into the process.
Nicest shop we have found on our visit.

See more reviews
Reviewed 3 April 2016

There are so many shops selling masks in Venice. Some are just ordinary souvenir shops (and they sell cheap masks) and some are speciality shops. Atelier Marega belongs to the latter category.

The shops is pretty big. There are a lot of masks for you to choose from. The owner's very helpful in telling us which one we should get after we described what our friend liked.

You could tell that the owner puts a lot of effort in making the masks just by looking at the details.

The masks are not cheap but it's definitely worth it.

Go have a look and get a mask from the shop when you have time in Venice. You won't be disappointed.

(PS: As it's not allowed to take photos, I don't have any photos to post here.)