“A wonderful location. My second stay at this hotel in two years.”
Review of Albergo San Marco

Albergo San Marco
Ranked #207 of 384 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 22 December 2011

I have just come back from my fourth stay in Venice in a few years. It was my second stay at Albergo San Marco. The previous was in November 2009 for 4 nights with two friends ( rooms 208 and 406). This time I was with my daughter and we stayed for 3 nights in a superior room (114) on the first floor, overlooking the canal. I am always surprised when I read bad reviews of places I have enjoyed, and this hotel seems to have a few of those. However my experience is not at all negative. The personnel of the hotel were always very courteous. They speak different foreign languages quite fluently, but enjoy your trying to greet them at least in Italian, which I always do. I was able to print my travel documents ( free of charge ) on the printer attached to the computer in the lobby, and the receptionist helped me when one sheet of paper stuck in the printer at one point. Breakfast is good, plenty of choice: hot croissants, eggs, ham and cheese, different sorts of bread, cereals...etc....I have never been to Venice in the high season so I cannot say what it would be like then, in the frenzy of summertime; best avoided, probably. The room was large, very clean, furnished with period furniture, a good bed, and good heating. The bathroom was well equipped and spotless. Impeccable linen changed daily. I can imagine that it could be noisy. Despite our double glazing windows, we heard the workers in the street one morning. But when in Venice one wants to be up and about, visiting, not staying in bed all morning, so it did not disturb us.
In conclusion, this second stay has convinced me that this hotel is a good choice; its location is superb, next to San Marco square, it has reasonable prices for Venice, and I would definitely stay there again on my next visit. I have stayed at two other hotels in Venice -Marconi on the Rialto - and Al Sole in San Polo- both were ok, but this one is equally good, in my opinion.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Frenchgirl60
There are newer reviews for Albergo San Marco

Reviewed 20 December 2011

Overall a very good hotel , nice service , good breakfast. The rooms are Ok in size , nice , Free Internet connection. The hotel is old fashion but well maintained .

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 December 2011

The Location was very good and convenient to reach. It's right on San Marco square. We were there for 3 nights. We had a triple room which had a double bed in one room and a single bed in one and was quite good in size.
I only wish that the bathroom was well planned .The size was fine but it really needed a shower cubicle. The shower had a curtain and the water would all flow out if you were not very very careful while having a shower.
The rest of our stay was really good. No complaints.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 November 2011

After disembarking a cruise ship,we stayed 3nights here. The first room we were given was so noisy,tiny,and the shower flooded the whole room because there was a 2inch gap at the bottom of the shower cubicle. Not good.
The wifi is awkward to log out of,so you end up using up your 20hour allowance too quickly.
The decor is shoddy. Needs updating. I'm all for authentic,but chipped furniture and blankets on the bed are not my idea of comfort.
Some of the staff on the front desk were friendly. Some were down-right rude!!
Plus points,cheap(for Venice),excellent location. Would not stay here again though.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Cru22
Reviewed 20 November 2011

This hotel has seen better times. It is independently owned and operated. It needs major renovations. Is a small hotel, but that has nothing to do with clean and good appereance. The best parts are the location (just a few yards from Pza. San Marco) and the Wi-Fi (which only is for 20 hours). The desk PC in the lobby is not so easy to use with a different keyboard. Reception staff are not friendly nor helpful. A Continental breakfast is included. It is more than coffee/tea, juice and toasts. There is yogurt, scrambled eggs, fruits, cold cuts, cheeses and dry cereal. But quality of food is mediocre. The dining room is understaffed. There is small fridge stocked with water and sodas in the room. Upon request you can get an electric kettle with instant coffee and tea, plus the staples that go with these. But we only got it once and after requesting it twice we gave up. The chamber maid was the only friendly and cooperative person in the hotel. She looked Asian to us.
We had a two bedrooms room. We have the luggage in the next door room, since the room with king size bed is not that roomy. The other room seems like it had a double bed, but now there is a twin bed in there. There are no double pane windows so we could hear all the street noise. Early check out was not an option, even though we are leaving the hotel at 4:30AM. The old grouchy man told us it will only take a minute to do the check out. He was not the one there in the morning. It was actually a young Jesus Christ looking fellow, wearing no uniform and not very friendly either. Not even “have a nice trip”. We were not very impressed with them, hotel or the service. It’s listed as a 3 star hotel. I wonder how much you need to pay for decent service in this town?
Maybe we got this lousy deal becasue we requested an AARP discount. They gave us the worst of their rooms.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple