“Amazing quality of food but value for money could be improved”

Ristorante Da Mario Alla Fava
Reserve with
Ristorante Da Mario Alla Fava is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #268 of 1,518 Restaurants in Venice
Price range: USD 52 - USD 91
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: San Marco
Description: In the heart of Venice, close to Rialto Bridge and ten minutes from S. Marco Square you will find the restaurant Da Mario alla Fava opened since 1960. The menu is based on recipes from traditional Venetian cuisine, reworked for today's preferred tastes with a creative touch. The restaurant offers fresh seafood dishes as well as a tasty vegan menu. Fine desserts are home made, created with special attention at the moment. In summer the restaurant has a beautiful terrace beside a typical Venice Canal, ideal for a candle light dinner. One wall of the restaurant is lined with hundreds of photographs of famous celebrities who have enjoyed Da Mario alla Fava. Recalling Mario alla Fava motto: "If you are sad and bored with life, you will rediscover joy at Da Mario alla Fava".
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We dropped in by chance, but the impression was really good from the first moment: nice and warm welcoming staff, quick service, very nice environment.
The dinner was very good, accurately presented and timely delivered. Wine chart was rich and the waiters were supportive.
Only remark is food is served in very small quantites: an increase in quantities will not for sure harm the bottom line of the restaurant but could leave a better taste in the customer once paying the bill.

1  Thank Ettorillo
MarioallaFava, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Ristorante Da Mario Alla Fava, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Dear Ettorillo, thank you for reviewing our restaurant and for your advise.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,140)

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

We were a bit rushed making a reservation last minute. This was recommended by our hotel . Having read the some of the reviews I was not expecting much. First the atmosphere is charming. We were seated at a nice but cozy table by Giorgio. We got our menus and my daughter and I noticed there were no prices on our menu. Only on my husband's. I told Giorgio this went out in 1950s in USA. And that sometimes the women pay. I was worried he would be offended but he actually joked with us about it later offering me the check and brought us menus with prices. I usually don't make a stink as about this kind of thing but I think it's important to set an example for my daughter.
Giorgio was charming giving us a tutorial about the olive oil and the Etna Sicily wine. Ok so he offered to sell us a bottle of olive oil. I actually would have bought one as it was really tasty but we were just beginning our travels in Italy and didn't want to lug it.
The wine from Sicily was reasonably priced and tasty.
The food was good. I had a baked artichoke which was really great and shared the risotto with my husband. Do make room for dessert. The tiramisu was good and beautifully plated.
The place is not cheap but it was a very good day meal and the service very gracious.

1  Thank hjona
MarioallaFava, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Ristorante Da Mario Alla Fava, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2018

Dear Hjona,
thank you so much for reviewing our restaurant, we wish you a nice stay in Italy.

Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

Very disappointed with this restaurant having seen so many good reviews and being recommended it by the hotel. Just spent over €100 on two courses and my dinner has left a nasty taste in my mouth and still hungry!

We booked a table for 8.45. Didn’t mind waiting a few minutes for another couple to vacate and the table be cleared. Once we sat down and were handed the menus we were completely ignored for 30 minutes even though we had signalled to a waiter we were ready a few times.

My husband ate the all black pasta that he said was okay, followed by the veal liver.
I’m vegetarian so was excited to see a vegan menu. However, I was disappointed with every dish I chose. My starter was artichoke in a “cream” sauce with lemon and saffron. On paper, sounded delicious. In reality three tiny, tough hearts with an unpalatable sauce. Then I had the pasta with porcini mushrooms and red currants. The sauce was quite watery, with very few mushrooms. I believe there was supposed to be mushroom in each pasta ring but they were all empty except for a splattering of sauce. When you are paying a minimum €17 for a vegetarian starter I expect much better.

As you can imagine, we didn’t wait for dessert!

1  Thank KatieKateW
MarioallaFava, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Ristorante Da Mario Alla Fava, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2018

Dear Katie,

thank you for reviewing our restaurant. We are sorry you did not enjoy your dinner and service, about time of waiting we apologize but sometimes it can happen when there are many customers. We will be happy to welcome you in your next trip if you will like to visit us again.

Reviewed 7 March 2018 via mobile

We visited Mario's twice during our stay in Venice - the second time because we enjoyed the first night so much. The service is great and catering for gluten free (sensi glutine) was no problem - in fact they seemed to enjoy the challenge producing beautiful meals. The benefit of having food cooked fresh rather than par-cooked as in so many other places which can't then cope with alterations to the menu! Sommelier advice was knowledgeable and spot on. The added theatre of the desert chef preparing plates in the restaurant makes for a great night.

Highly recommended.

MarioallaFava, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Ristorante Da Mario Alla Fava, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2018

Dear Kvweel, thank you so much for reviewing us. We are so glad to know that our efforts to offer gluten free options have been appreciated!

Reviewed 27 February 2018

Mario alla Fava had a dedicated vegan menu with four or five options for each course. I had papa al pomodoro, which was a mouthwatering tomato pie topped with crispy red onions; it was light, perfectly seasoned and had the most divine rich flavour from the freshly roasted tomatoes and herbs.

Dessert was incredible; apple tarte tatin topped with cherry ice cream (made with rice milk) decorated with beautiful rose petals. It was tangy, sweet and packed with flavour.

A definite 5* restaurant for vegan options in my opinion.

MarioallaFava, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Ristorante Da Mario Alla Fava, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2018

Dear AVeganVisit, thank you so much for reviewing our restaurant and appreciate our vegan menu!