“Great place in Venice”

Ranked #248 of 386 Hotels in Venice
Chicago, Illinois
“Great place in Venice”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

The staff was very helpful and friendly, the room was big and clean, the location was great! We would stay here again!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Beijing, China
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Enjoy staying in this hotel, though it's a pity, there is no lift here.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Hotel is very conveniently located abt 5 minutes walk from the square where you are entering Venice either by bus or car. However you need to be aware that on the way to the hotel you have to cross two bridges with stairs (all bridges we crossed in Venice have stairs) and there are no ramps/slipways for trolleys. Rooms in the hotel are in average condition, but keep in mind that the hotel is XV century building. No restaurant for dinner - many others in close vicinity, and the reception staff advised us some good ones. Breakfast continental, but with addition of ham and spread cheese. Perfect view on Canal Grande from some rooms, but the view itself not very picturesque.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank MOR59
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 25 March 2012

I and my mum have stayed at Hotel Canal for 4 nighs.

This city trip was a present from me to my mum and I put a lot of effort to prepare a trip that was perfect for her. My mum is 70 years old and I was worried because before booking I had been reading some of the negative comments and I was a bit worried and now I can say that most of the negative comments were too unfair.

- Bad comments about mosquitoes, we didn't have any mosquitoes.

- Bad comments about smell, we didn't notice any bad smell. We had a double room with views to the Grand Canal and the smell was amazing, you smell the fresh air of the sea, it is very very nice, the smell is like when you are in a seaport, I don't know if it smells bad other moments during the year but in our case the weather and the feeling of breathing fresh air was very nice.

- Bad comments about the cleaners not changing the towels, also very unfair, hotel instructions indicate that if you need clean towels you just leave the used ones on the floor in the morning and they put clean ones in place.

- Bad comments about the creepy looking of the hotel, also unfair, you can find 5 star hotels in Venice with a front entrance or a building that also looks creepy, this is the way Venice is, it is not just this hotel, 95% of the buildings are like this in Venice. Inside the hotel the walls are made of tapestry and it is very beautiful, it has the Murano stuff everywhere, even our room had a beautiful and expensive Murano lamp hanging from the ceiling.

- Bad comments about the staff not being friendly: this wasn't true at least in our case, the 2 girls were lovely, very friendly and caring at all times.

Great Hotel, great location, great value for money, our city trip was a present to my mum and this hotel helped me to make the perfect trip because this Hotel is not very expensive and that allowed us to go to the Opera and pay the entry in many places of interest. We also ate in great places and the whole trip was not very expensive at the end.

I would definitely return to Hotel Canal the next time and I recommend it.

Room Tip: The rooms with views to the Canal are great. Every morning my mum woke up and opened the windows com...