“Giglio Gondolas are Garbage”

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Paid an exorbitant amount for a 20 minute trip that was mostly in side canals with nothing to see but some poorly maintained buildings with laundry draped from the windows. It was supposed to be the “serenade” ride but we were in one of 4 gondolas going single file with the singer in the last gondola...could not hear anything.Everyone from the guy in charge to our gondolier was rude and apparently only there for our money.
Save your money or find some else...this operation is a total rip-off.

2  Thank VoDo50

Reviewed 11 November 2017

Tourist rip-off. Not romantic at all. 4 passengers on gondola; 2 get the double seat; the other 2 are squished on either side on a miniature, uncomfortable seat (trying to not knock knees or other sensitive body parts while moving). Ride seemed short; gondolier had no personal skills at all. He did not say anything to us other than tell us where to sit. Supposed to be quiet and romantic atmosphere; the gondoliers were shouting to each other; seemed like they were arguing. I think they forget that for us tourists this is a once-in-a-lifetime experience that we have paid an extraordinary amount for. Not special at all; I would spend my time in Venice doing something else.

2  Thank laneybelle
Reviewed 30 October 2017

My first trip to Venice, I had to do a gondola ride. I was offered by a cruise ship excursion, a romantic gondola ride for $149 USD/person at night. Now that's a rip off.

We found the Giglio Gondola Station on our own. We arrived just before the price hike for night rides even though it was dark already. (October) Our Gondolier said he was a 5th generation gondolier. We asked about singing and his response was, "This is not the movies, I don't sing." "You can hire another gondolier who is a professional singer for 100 Euro, plus the gondola price" We elected to forgo the additional expense. We got a wonderful 40 minute gondola ride at night. Our gondolier pointed out many interesting building and sites. We thought it was well worth the 80 Euro price. During part of our romantic ride, we got to hear a couple other singing gondolier's echoing through the canals. How can you come to Venice and not take a night time gondola ride with your love.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

This caused me to think Venice is the most over-rated city in the world. The gondola rides are unreasonably expensive and you have to haggle a lot to get a half decent price.

2  Thank Sean_kti
See more reviews
Reviewed 5 September 2017 via mobile

Of all the 100's of Gondola services in Venice I'd never recommend this one. My daughter and I were so looking forward to this our whole trip and was so disappointed. We paid extra to have a "serenade gondala ride" and arrived at 6.00pm for our 6.30pm reservation. Showed them our ticket and were told we were to early. We then lined up again as people with 7,00pm bookings were going in before us. We were then put on a boat with 7.30pm bookings (it was 6.40pm by this time) that got the best seats while I was stuck on a bench up the front facing backwards and my 6 foot daughter was place on the side on a small child size chair (and couldn't move her legs). We sat rocking on the grande canal waiting for water buses to go past for 15mins then went for a short ride up small canals fir another 10mins that was it. As for the "serenading" apparently someone was singing but as he was about 5 gondolas behind us we couldn't hear it. When we arrived back and I said to the fellow collecting tickets I was very disappointed he said "that's gondolas" and literally moved me out the way and continued collecting tickets. what should have been a wonderful memory was such a let down and really a waste of precious time.

2  Thank dfly66