“Had a blast here !”

Ranked #156 of 215 Speciality Lodging in Venice
Singapore, Singapore
“Had a blast here !”
Reviewed 30 November 2011

One of the best hostels i have stayed at ! Its not the biggest or the most modern, but a great place to meet people and socialise. The free pasta dinner (which is pretty darn good) around the big table in the dining hall with the other backpackers is a great time to chat with people before heading out to cheap bars around town to drink the local liquor called "spritze". Rooms and bathrooms were neat clean. Everybody i met there had a great time at the Fish !

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Polish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2011

Maybe if enough people mention the bed bugs it will get them to sort their act out? This was indeed a very social and friendly place to be with books and games and great folk hanging around to talk to. Cool to have a free pasta meal every evening too. BUT my bed (in the smaller dorm through a much larger dorm) was, I discovered too late, infested with bed bugs. I got a ridiculous number of bites which itched and scarred for weeks. I got a refund becuse I was so incensed and because I knew that cream from the pharmacist would cost a fortume. So, this is a shabby chic and very friendly place, but one with questionable hygiene. Shame. The young UK staff admitted that the owners were well aware of the bugs and that staff weren't really allowed to give refunds! I had photographic evidence too which helped my case and i wasn't leaving without a refund.

Room Tip: Check all around the bed, mattress and walls for bed bugs or signs of them.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Venice hotels

Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2011

I've just got back from 4 nights at A Venice Fish. I was travelling alone and found the hostel to be a great place to meet people. The evening meal (delicious pasta dishes!) followed by the very cheap bar every night was the best time to get chatting to people. The staff were all really friendly too taking people out to bars on an evening. They were great about making sure people got back to the hostel ok too.

The rooms are fairly basic but clean. After reading the reviews I was a little concerned but in the four nights I was there I didn't see (or feel) a single bed bug, and i'm the sort of person who usually gets bitten by anything there is! There were only two bathrooms but they were kept very clean and I didn't have to wait long for a shower. There aren't any lockers but the staff offered to lock away any valuables if I needed it.

The hostel is in a great location about 15 mins from the train station, really easy to find. Nearby is a supermarket, lots of places to eat, drink & shop.

If I go back to Venice I'll definately stay at Fish again, I had an amazing time!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2011

Our trip was looking bleak until we found the fish - which was pretty damn incredible.

The rooms were clean and tidy, the staff were helpful and sociable, the food was free and everyone staying there seemed to have a great time.

all in all a very social and well run hostel - what more can you ask for?

What a peach - thanks Fishes.

Room Tip: Choose life. Choose the Fish.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 11 October 2011

I stayed here recently with a group of friends. When we got to the hostel everything seemed fine. Staff was friendly, dinner was being served, the place was in a decent location and rooms looked clean.

The next morning, though, I noticed a little reddish looking bug on my towel. I immediately thought of bed bugs. I checked my bed and sure enough, all over the sheets and the walls there were bed bugs of various stages (from young bug to adult). My friends checked their beds only to find that there were bed bugs in their beds too.

When I brought it up to the staff, they offered to freeze my sheets, but had the audacity to claim that perhaps I had brought them from somewhere, because they had just repainted the room. (I should also mention, that the night before we were out with some of the staff and friends in Venice and they mentioned that the room had been "debugged"). Anyway, it turned out I ended up sleeping on the floor to try to avoid as many bed bugs as possible. In the morning I had 2 bites. A friend, who continued to sleep in the bed, now has over 20 bites all over her body.

Never did we get an apology. Never did we get offered a discount or a refund. Never did we get offered an alternative sleeping solution. Awful.

I tried to attach a picture I got of the bed bug on the wall, but I think it's too big to be added on the site. I will try to get it smaller and add it at a later time.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends