“Sometimes all those reviews can't be wrong”

Pizzeria Ristorante Al Carmine
Ranked #75 of 1,116 Restaurants in Padua
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 10 October 2017

I was directed to this joint by looking at what Tripadvisor had to say about gluten-free dining in Padua. Ristorante Al Carmine got plenty of good write-ups so I was eager to try it for myself. And it didn't disappoint.

It was slightly tricky to find, away from the bustling city centre, down a side street and in a zone seemingly dominated by high-rise and student accommodation, a few minutes' walk from the Ferrovia station and also from the Cappella della Scrovegni. But this didn't stop its being very busy at lunchtime with lots of walk-ins, me included, presumably because it's well known locally as a good place to eat and hungry people converge on it from all directions. I certainly formed the impression that several tables were occupied by office-workers who'd come out together and were doing business over lunch.

The restaurant staff were friendly and helpful and there was an English as well as an Italian version of the menu. But the star of the show was the gluten-free offer, all very clearly indicated on the menu in a way that's still not so common in Italy. In particular there was no doubting from this that they effectively had managed to provide an alternative version of most things, including pizza, and since a decent gluten-free pizza isn't often encountered over here I thought I'd give it a go. What I got, after some nice gluten-free pseudo-bread nibbles which I'd not seen before and were a pleasant bonus, was a Siciliana which turned out to be a pretty good simulacrum of the real thing: a crisp base topped with tomoato sauce, mozzarella, capers, anchovy and pepperoni. All in all, it was better than many I've had and worth the walk to find it.

Since it was lunchtime and I'm not keen on going overboard in the middle of the day, especially when it's warm, I exercised some restraint in what I consumed. But this shouldn't stop me mentioning that the menu not only listed several tempting-looking dessert variations which would cater to the coeliac guest (if I could have managed it I'd have gone for the pancake flled with Nutella) but also the widest range of gluten-free beers I've seen anywhere in Italy (roughly a dozen, I think).

In short, Ristorante Al Carmine really pushes the boat out in its attempt to cater to this problematic dietary requirement and embrace those who suffer from coeliac disease and it really does deserve top marks for its efforts.

And, yes, I'd definitely go back if I were in Padua again.

Reviewed 8 October 2017

I was recommended this restaurant by my hotel concierge and was very pleased with his advice. A table for one one a Saturday night is always going to be difficult but they swept me in without hesitation. A varied and appealing menu, I chose the Spaghetti Vongole and Scallopini Fungi. The only downside was the dizzying speed of service which left me with a touch of indigestion. I'll definitely be going back again.

Reviewed 21 July 2017 via mobile

It is indeed nice to walk out of the restaurant and feel satisfied. This was felt at Al Carmine.

My partner chose this restaurant due to the fantastic vegan options on the menu. The pizza was good and the service was friendly cheerful and pleasant.

I have no hesitation in recommending this restaurant for an enjoyable and easy meal.

Reviewed 23 May 2017

Al Carmine can be just the right place for you if you are looking for a good pizza in a casual and non pretentious place. A lot of local clientele. Good prices. They have gluten-free options. Many varieties of pizza. Unlike other reviews, I found the staff really friendly and fast. Good prices. Nice terrace outside.

Reviewed 18 October 2016

My daughter had been searching for gluten free pizza and pasta and then we found this place! Delightful staff, funny and helpful, wonderful selection of gluten free pasta and pizza and the staff were so helpful. One of the staff kept us laughing the whole time, he was great. This place is highly recommended!!!