1,018 results
All reviews chef de village ski school ski instructor mini buses great holiday oysters reception manager seafood night travel agent mountain restaurant evening entertainment bad smell skiing experience ski hire off piste great snow turin airport
Reviewed 28 March 2010

I got back on 28th March 2010 and went with my wife. I visited Club Med Roi Soleil (St Moritz) 8 weeks ago. So I will do a comparison at the end of this review. We paid about £850 each and spent very little else. This was probably the best value skiing holiday we have ever had, although I said that about St Moritz (I guess its Club Med that is good value). The hotel manager was always visible and did everything from greet you in the morning to the entertainment in the evening.

Unlike St Moritz we choose not to enter ski school as although included we wanted a relaxing holiday and didn’t want to be held down to specific times. This was probably a bad move as two days into the holiday there was a massive dumping of snow and we were reduced to skiing like beginners as it was also poor visibility. You had to get the club med coach to the slopes in the morning but it was only a few minutes and we never had to wait as they had 5 mini buses. It takes two gondolas and a cable car to get over to Zermatt. I personally preferred the skiing in Cervinia as Zermatt had more compact snow on the runs. There is an amazing 26Km run going over to Valtournenche which I would highly recommend, someone said it was the longest pisted run in the world but when I googled it I couldn’t find any information on that.

This place is not for advanced skiers as the reds are not very steep compared to other resorts like St Moritz or Chamonix and most of the black runs were closed. If you are looking for steep runs stay at Zermatt as they have yellow runs which are beyond black. Unfortunately due to the weather we didn’t get to ski any yellows but they are basically un-pisted marked runs which you aren’t insured on and aren’t patrolled. Someone told us to not bother as they aren’t in good condition but it would have been nice to say we had skied one.

Now for a summary:

Good points:
• Hotel and room very good
• Excellent food
• Drinks (International brand i.e. Gordons Gin, Smirnoff vodka)
• Excellent bathroom with bath and shower
• Friendly staff and manager
• Clean room, cleaning staff excellent
• General cleanliness of hotel
• Short mini bus to the slopes but 5 minibuses laid on so never had to wait
• Separate smoking room so you didn’t have to go outside
• English speaking night, good to meet people
• Mountain restaurant excellent, good food
• Lockable ski lockers
• Location of hotel, you can ski back to hotel if your good enough to ski a red run
• Big bedrooms with plenty of space
• Swimming pool but you need a shower cap or pay 2.5 Euros for one

Bad points:
• Hard beds
• Boot warmer in locker didn’t work. Swapped lockers but still didn’t work
• Internet charge of 35 Euros for a week but they do have a 4.5 Meg un-contended Internet connection (Managed to download a 700 Meg file in 60 mins and still browse quickly)
• Lots of stairs. You have to climb stairs to get anywhere as the lifts only start on the first floor
• Rubbish choice of TV channels, hence the downloading large files ;-)
• Very expensive shop
• Too many kids (Some might call this child friendly and have it as a good point but not me)

Conclusion

I would recommend this resort and hotel to everyone and would like to go back in the future. Club med rocks and I will find it hard to book a skiing holiday outside of club med from now on due to value for money and ease of holiday. If you are thinking about going to this hotel, BOOK IT NOW!

Comparison against St Moritz

At St Moritiz you got a better night’s sleep and better skiing for advanced skiers (capable of black runs). The food in Cervinia was slightly better and the room was nicer. The hotel in Cervinia was generally slightly better but as a holiday I think that St Moritiz had something that Cervinia couldn’t match. My wife or I couldn’t put our finger on it but it I think it was probably due to it being a better resort for us. Cervinia just couldn’t match St Moritz beauty although the Matterhorn was pretty special.

Happy skiing!

Del (Derrickmoore22@hotmail.com)
Feel free to ask questions but it may take me a while to reply as I have a busy job

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank derrickmoore22
Reviewed 24 March 2010

I stayed here for feb half term with 15 yr old and 12 yr old.
We had a three person room which was really nice and modern,roomy for a ski room.
It was a long walk to the reception/ dining room etc but probably good when you are on ski holiday .
The food was absolutely excellent,The staff and service fantastic,I went on the second day to say the shower was not working well and before I got back to my room it was being fixed.
You have to catch a bus to the lift but club med are really well organised so it no problem.
Also have to catch a bus into town but again no problem but you dont need to go to town
Club med is lovely ,you can relax in the lounge ,coffee/chocolate /etc all on hand.
I used the spa and the massages were really good.
The big complaint from the guests was the cost to use the sauna 8 euros a day
which after the cost of a club med holiday was a bit insulting,You could use free with treatments but on that day you dont really have time.
The swimming pool was freezing and hence not used.
Skiing in Cervinia can be difficult as its very windy so even though we had lots of snow
lifts get closed easily.
You can also ski Zermatt but you then hav eto pay for lunch as no club med arrangement
in Switzerland.
would recommend as kids had great time,lots of english kids during half term.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank LondonHighgate
Reviewed 11 March 2010

I have just returned from a week at the Club Med hotel in Cervinia with four friends (male and female, all in our 30s), and we had the most wonderful time. We booked this after we found a special offer online and are so pleased that we found it, as we wouldn't have known that a Club Med holiday could be such a great success. I wasn't sure about the all-inclusive aspect, but aside from the boot and ski hire (which we knew about up front), there really were no hidden extras and definitely no nasty surprises.

All our rooms (en suite, with two sharing and one single but in a double room with a supplement) were spacious and spotless, with beautiful views of the mountains surrounding the hotel. The beds were made every day and fresh towels and extra bottles of water are left whenever you ask for or need them. The food was what I was most nervous about but we were all so impressed by the variety, the quantity and the quality. There were always basics such as pizza, pasta and burgers on offer for the more fussy eaters, but the amount of choices on offer never failed to amaze us, including foie gras on two occasions and lobster on the last night. The wine (red, white and rose is on offer) wasn't the most exciting I've ever tasted, but fine and there is a list of other bottles to buy if necessary. We had delicious fresh bread at breakfast time (and various 'speciality' breads with cheese at dinner) as well as cooked options, pancakes, cereal, fruit and freshly squeezed juice. Lunches at Tuktu, the mountain restaurant, were a real perk, as all the ski school groups headed there at varying times to enjoy a hearty meal of tasty pasta, salad and puddings. It wasn't open on our last day (it's only open Monday to Friday) but there are various other options around the place, although we'd eaten so much by then that we just had a few snacks from our bag and skiied through the day. Having spoken to friends who've been on Mark Warner holidays, it seems the quality of food is better on a Club Med all-inclusive holiday and the combination of a French company in Italy was certainly a winning culinary combination as far as we were concerned.

I was very impressed by the whole atmosphere of the hotel, no doubt helped by the fact that all the staff were very friendly and helpful. They are led by Gianni, the 'Chef de Village', who was there smiling every morning to wish us a good day on the slopes as well as being up at Tuktu to check everything was ok at lunchtime. There is a real mix of ages and nationalities (although mostly French families) which made for a very interesting and fun group of people in our ski school classes. The fact that ski lessons are included is a real bonus, as even the advanced skiiers in our group went to all five days of classes and got to try off-piste skiing and go over into Switzerland (the ski pass covers a huge area). We loved our patient and helpful instructor (Walter), although my only real complaint would be that the organisation of the classes was a little sketchy, so a couple of us ended up in a larger group than we'd hoped for with some real slow coaches. We were happy to go off on our own for a few hours at a time though, and really benefitted from this opportunity to go off and practice what we'd been taught. It was only my second time skiing, but I never felt scared going off on my own.

The village of Cervinia is small and pretty and we discovered a lovely bar called Metzelet where we sampled local wine, meats and cheeses for a bit of a change. There was never any need to venture from the hotel as tea is served in the bar area when most people are returning from the slopes, with 'aperitivo' pre-dinner snacks a bit later on, but we fancied a look around. The shuttles to the slopes are very short (about 4 minutes) and the pick-ups from town (if you don't want to go down the red run back to the hotel) are very frequent - we never waited more than 5 minutes. The ski area is enormous, with three different areas just on the Italian side not to mention everything in Zermatt. Because the resort is pretty high, when the high winds picked up it did get very chilly but by keeping moving and wearing decent gear, we were fine. It was disappointing when the higher lifts and the ones going over to Switzerland were closed because of the weather, but there really is plenty to do for beginner and intermediate skiiers even on those days plus plenty of good off-piste areas for the advanced members of our group. None of us had any problems with altitude sickness, although we didn't sleep as soundly as we were expecting; this was nothing to do with noise or discomfort, but perhaps because of the thinner air...? Certainly not a big issue though.

This has become a bit of an essay but we really were all so taken by Cervinia and the Club Med that I thought it best to leave a detailed review. As we got a good reduction thanks to a special offer it proved to be amazingly good value, but even at full price I would say it's worth it for the quality of the holiday. We are definitely considering going back, or trying another of the Club Med ski resorts. Try it for yourself!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
6  Thank TeamCervinia
Reviewed 4 March 2010

We just spent 2 weeks at this Club Med and could not have had a better experience. It was our first time at Club Med and we found it to be a fantastic way to travel with children (can't believe we haven't done it before). The hotel is nice, not extravagant but very nice, with modern boutique hotel (think W) decor, spotlessly clean, rooms are large, bathroom is gigantic although the shower was quiet small. Our room was a bit of a walk from the lobby/lounge but it was extremely quiet so worth the extra few steps. The view from our window of Mont Cervino was amazing.
We are expert skiers and were concerned about all of the comments about this being Intermediate only skiing, the runs are insanely long and beautiful, and will challenge anyone's leg fitness. Challenging runs can be found. We had a wide variation of weather, several blue bird perfect days, some slightly cloudy days as well as several very snowy days. Our final day was extremely windy but it didn't prevent us from skiing.
The food was excellent at every meal, I was expecting buffet only and was pleasantly surprised to see most everything was cooked in front of you. The Tuktu restaurant on the mountain was a great option rather then coming back to the hotel for lunch. The shuttle service to and from the lift and town centre was very efficient (we never waited more then 5 minutes) and we opted to do the ski-in back to the hotel most days.
The staff are very friendly and helpful and certainly go the extra mile to be of assistance. We are already planning a return to this Club Med and loved Cervinia.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Saba61
Reviewed 31 August 2009

If you are looking for nice ski-holidays, don't go there!
The hotel is old, not maintained, rooms are small and damaged! It's always the same snacks when you come back at 4pm! Besides the fact that you need to take a shuttle for 10min to take the lift, the ski resort is not very nice (nothing to do with the swiss side/Zermatt).
I am sorry to say that the staff is french and not very nice and pleasant. It's a big holiday factory....but when you go for a 4 tridents, you expect more, than that!
Don't waste your money on that!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family