“Wonderful, flavourful experience ”
Review of San Mauri

San Mauri
Ranked #142 of 9,159 Restaurants in Milan
Price range: USD 23 - USD 46
Neighbourhood: Navigli
Neighbourhood: Navigli
Reviewed 31 May 2018 via mobile

Thanks to Trip Advisor I found this restaurant on a side street. My first night here it was closed for a private party...good sign, so I came back the next. I ordered the tasting menu with wine pairing. I just loved all the different flavours. Even calamari, which I usually find kind of boring was interesting. The lamb was amazing, as was the pistachio mousse (though owner told me it is not mousse, and I agree - it is creamier). Of course, some things were not to my exact taste - a bit too much peanut butter in the gnocchi with peanut butter and licorice. But this is fine. The whole point is to experiment and try new things. I loved it. Friendly service, and their reliance on the local food is important to them. I regret I am here alone on business, but will bring my wife here next time we are in Milan. I feel guilty that she could not share. This was fantastic.

1  Thank Daniel B
giorgio r, Proprietario at San Mauri, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2018

Dear Daniel B, thanks very much for your wonderful review, we hope to see you again.best regards. Thanks again.

Reviewed 25 May 2018 via mobile

This place was 2 blocks from our hotel, but mainly we chose to eat here because of the TA rating.
The waitress seemed preoccupied and didn't take our order for over 20 minutes. We didn't get any bread for the longest time either even though it was 3 feet away.

My wine was excellent as it matched the risotto. My risotto was good with primarily cheese, but the twist was sprinkling it with 3-4mm strawberry balls. Great idea but there was SO little strawberry that I only tasted it with 2 bites.
My desert was the creamed rice with strawberry and rhubarb. The creamed pudding tasted bitter and almost spoiled. Couldn't finish it.
Disappointed overall.

Dear Robert L, when you got there we told you that you would have to wait half an hour for the hot dishes. the waitress was not worried, the strawberry on risotto should not have a predominant taste, i'm sorry that you were disappointed, I hope you'll give us a second chance. Best regards.

Reviewed 25 May 2018 via mobile

We came here based on trip recommendations. Bread tasted a bit old compared to all the bread I’ve eaten for past three weeks.
Gnocchi with artichoke sauce flavored with peanut butter and dash of licorice was delicious.
Dessert I had the rice cream with slices of strawberry, rhubarb and basil. That taste combination with the creamy sauce didn’t work for me. Our waitress recommended a white wine pairing that worked well. Portion size modest for main so don’t split the meal.

1  Thank Patricia D

Dear Patricia D, thanks very much for your wonderful review, we hope to see you again.best regards.

Reviewed 28 April 2018

We found San Mauri as we were exploring a new area of Milano and are we ever glad we did! The staff was great--very friendly--asked what kind of wine we like and we never waited for anything! The food was delicious...we started with the local cheese assortment and the four different cheeses we tasted were all very different and very tasty! We both had the Spaghetti Bolognese and we delighted at the portion size and the taste! We also had a very good Amarone wine--quite delicious! Too bad we discovered San Mauri at the end of our trip, otherwise we would have dined here another time or two1

1  Thank IndyLaves
giorgio r, Proprietario at San Mauri, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2018

Dear IndyLaves, thanks very much for your wonderful review, we hope to see you again.best regards.

Reviewed 19 April 2018 via mobile

Must try I loved the sea bass and the spaghetti. They serve very clean, tasty and healthy food. ++ friendly staff. It’s just 7 minutes walking from the Duomo

1  Thank Mohamed K

Dear Mohamed K, thanks very much for your wonderful review, we hope to see you again.best regards.