“just a place to sleep in, nothing extra-ordinary”
Review of Charly

Charly
Ranked #178 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed 1 August 2011

walking distance from the center, maybe around 500m
we stayed in a double room --> enough cabinets to store our things; very comfortable; a little noisy
safe hotel, 24h reception, you have your own key to the entrance, so you can stay out as late as you can
breakfast was just ok --> typical italian breakfast: croissant, coffee
some of the staff didn't speak english, at all

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 3 July 2011

I chose this hotel partially for the location. Once you locate Vitruvio, and get your bearings, it's a very convenient spot. The Milan street plan is very complicated, but once you figure out how to get to the big sites (Duomo, Galleria, La Scala) you can do well by walking. It is near the train station, but on a quiet street, and if you have a room in the back of the hotel (top floor had a small balcony) it's very peaceful.

The staff was helpful, and the buffet breakfast spread was one of the best I saw in 3 weeks in Italy. And the sunroom/dining room has you virtually in the garden. You need to be down there to use the free wifi, but again, it's a nice spot to spend some time. Someone mentioned how "gay" the hotel was. At least a couple of the desk clerks gave information out to guests, when they were asked. But most of the clientele was straight couples, or other European travellers. Very few Americans have sought this place out, and it's a good deal, when the dollar isn't going too far.

The room, and especially the bathroom were nicely updated, and I think the Air Conditioning was working when I was there, but wasn't needed much, and it was nice with the window open.

Room Tip: Quiet spot, near a major train station.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 June 2011

We only stayed one day/night in Milan prior to our flight out of Malpensa. We arrived at 10 am and were prepared to leave our bags and head into the city, but to our pleasant surprise they had a room ready for us within 10 minutes. During our wait, I was able to use a hallway bathroom to change clothes and my husband waited in the charming garden. The check in process was swift and efficient. The receptionist was pleasant and helpful, giving us a map and showing us where the nearest Metro was located (only 2 blocks away). The room was clean with a double bed, air conditioning and LCD TV. The bed was rather hard, but the pillows soft. A large wardrobe closet was available with a good number of hangers. The bathroom was large and modern. The shower was clean and of good size. A large window in the room overlooked the street (a side street) but we didn't hear any noise as there were also shutters that closed off the noise. The hotel is only 4 blocks from Milan Centrale making it very convenient for our train to Malpensa. And the neighborhood seemed very safe. FYI--Centrale now has a Malpensa Express train to the airport for Euro 7 per person and runs once per hour. The night clerk was also helpful and woke us in the morning as requested. Our stay was brief, but pleasant and I would recommend Hotel Charly for any length of stay--especially since we only paid Euro 75. The only con was that the internet was not working.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2011

My daughter and I just finished our Mediterranean cruise when we decided to stay in Milan for a couple of days before heading back home. We planned to explore Milan in the shortest, most practical and economical way and Charly was a good choice. It was walking distance from the Central station, cozy, with clean crisp linen, and breakfast just enough to start your day and is located a few steps away from our room. We just needed a place to sleep,take our shower and leave our luggage while exploring- with the money I saved staying in Charly instead of a more expensive fancy hotel , I was able to buy a couple of nice jumper for my daughter.

Room Tip: If you have big luggage, request the ground floor
  • Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 May 2011

The bed consisted of a mattress on top of metal springs, something like you would find in an army barracks. It was so uncomfortable, my back was beginning to bother me. I ended up sleeping on the support between the two mattresses, i.e. the wooden section. At least it was flat, supported my back and was off the floor. The hotel should invest in better beds for the sake of their guests. At 60 euros per nite, I would have rather stayed in a youth hostel.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo