“Great hotel!”

Ranked #13 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Austin, Texas
“Great hotel!”
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Extremely close to the train station, like a 3 minute walk. The rooms were top notch as was the room service. Breakfast is a very large buffet spread with lots of good Italian breakfast choices. Hotel staff was very helpful with check-in and dealing with luggage after check out. Will definitely stay here again next time I am in Milan.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (707)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Roseville, CA
Reviewed 6 April 2012

I just returned from 4 nights at Hotel Berna in Milan. It was an outstanding stay and would definitely return and recommend the hotel to other travelers.

Pros:
- Great location- Very close to central station and the metro.
- Clean, comfortable rooms- Comfy bed, lots of TV stations, nice sized wardrobe, HOT shower with great water pressure.
- Free Mini-bar! No alcohol, but it was stocked with sodas, waters, fruit juice, etc.
- Great breakfast buffet - lots of food! Eggs, meats, cheeses, toasts & muffins, fruit, many drink choices.
- Free wifi - it was a bit hard to connect to at times, but everywhere else I stayed on the trip had the same problem. Good coverage in the whole hotel.
- very nice staff - the front desk folks and the bartender were all great and very friendly.

Cons:
- Not a lot of great restaurants or bars nearby. There were plenty to choose from, but you'll most likely spend your time out in other parts of the city.

I thought the hotel was a very good value for the money. The hotel was clean, the shower was great, the staff was super friendly. I would definitely return to Hotel Berna!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank rp239119
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I let myself be influenced by reviews I read here but I was really dissappointed for what I got from this hotel. I don't understand the reason for the hype as, at its best, I think it's just average.
It's true that the location is excellent, 5 minutes walking from Milan Central Station, no problems to find it. But there is a plethora of other hotels around the area to choose from, this is just another one. Whether those others may offer better service or cheaper rates, I don't know, I should have researched more.
Their PR is fantastic. They send you emails welcoming you as soon as you make your booking and some days prior to your arrival. They also create a personal page asking for your preferences. Too bad that information you provide may not be used to make your stay more comfortable.
I had a quite uncomfortable stay because my room was too hot. I don't know whether that was unseasonal in Milan or not, as it was my first time there (I may receive that as an excuse) but I had stayed at several less pretentious hotels in Italy that did provide air conditioner all year round.
Because room was too hot (not to mention the small size, as that is quite normal for single rooms), I had to keep the window open to cool it and try to sleep, but many noises from the street outside woke me up several times through the night. I could barely sleep in this hotel.
I tried to use the wifi internet provided, (which by the way is becoming also the standard, nothing extraordinary about it), but it was too slow! And it stopped several times. Even worse, had to work uncomfortably seated with laptop on the bed, as there was no power point available around the desk, which could be just used then as a table.
On arrival, the first bad impression was the patronizing attitude from reception staff toward guests. However, I have to say that some of them were nice sometimes, but I never saw them really going out of their way to be friendly with guests, as mentioned by other travelers.
Breakfast was not included in my room rate. This was the only one of the 7 hotels I have stayed during my 2 week holidays in Italy were I had to pay extra for breakfast. It was also the most expensive but certainly not the best one. Ah! but I should have known better and paid a higher rate, may be the response I will receive, let's see.
In all, I agree that 3 stars should be the rating for this hotel, and that includes their great efforts at public relations.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank AusverGeorge
CarloFontana-GM, General Manager at Hotel Berna, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
Dear AusverGeorge

We carefully read your comment, which certainly comes from an experienced traveler, and realize that when expectations run too high because of others guests comments, it becomes more and more difficult to surprise and satisfy our guests and that is always harder to fully meet and please everyone.

It seems that the main reason of your unsatisfactory experience was related to the room temperature, for which I clearly apologize.

In effect, during your time of stay, the city of Milan has experienced a very unusual climate, with temperatures reaching during the day an incredible 22 degrees (the warmest for this period in the last 50 years), which is normally expected at the end of May / beginning of June.

Honestly, as almost all hotels in Milan, we have been totally surprised by such unusual event and were not jet ready to start the air conditioning. Just imagine that at the beginning of April
– and we have already turned on our air-conditioning - we are experiencing the opposite situation with a minimum temperature of 7 degrees , having guests requiring heating instead of air-conditioning.

Unfortunately it’s more and more difficult to promptly react to such sudden climate changes, which are unfortunately unforeseen out of our control.

We were instead a bit surprised to read that you consider us not to be a four star hotel. We are a small family owned hotel, rooms are all different and not standard like found in chain hotels. We wish you would have reported your dissatisfaction with your room to the Reception Staff and we would have certainly shown you some of our upper categories (we offer 6 room categories that vary in size, furniture, upholstery, and amenities), helping you finding finding for only a small supplement the right typology.

Following your comment we provided to check the quality of our WiFi connection (we were the first Hotel In Italy to offer this service free of charge) and no particular issues were found.

Our main goal is to make all our guests feel welcome and comfortable while they are with us. We are very proud of our staff. They are always on hand to assist our guests in any way possible. We know there are areas where we can always improve and it seems, the majority of our guests appreciate our customer service.

Another major point of strength is considered to be our buffet breakfast. It is offered in all room rates (except the Room only product) and tries to satisfy the tastes of our international clientele.

We invite you to come back and on your next visit, should you wish for a better and larger room, do not hesitate to ask our reception staff at time of booking. They will be happy to assist you in booking a room that best suits your needs.

You are a valued guest and you feedback is important to us.

Carlo Fontana, GM & Staff
Parsippany, New Jersey
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Me and My wife stayed at this hotel for 5 days and it was great experience. Location is great close to the station. Rooms are nice and comfortable , we stayed in new wing, I found them a bit clustered but very comfortable. Breakfast is awesome with so many choices. Staff was very very nice and helpful in guiding us were all to go. At first I and my wife was skeptical but when we stayed at this hotel it was great. Room had large windows and great view of the street. We really enjoyed the stay and any time in Milan we will blindly choose this hotel. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Stayed at Hotel Berna on a 4 day business trip March 2012. The hotel is a couple of minutes walk from the Central Station. Buses to and from Malpensa Airport arrive and depart from here so very easy to get here from the Airport.
The hotel is also only about 100 metres from the Metro so getting about Milan is pretty easy. Those attending exhibitions at the big new exhibition centre (as I was) can get to Rho Fierra on the Metro with only one change at Cadorna. Return fare just 5 Euros, takes about 40 minutes
From outside the hotel looks average but inside it is warm and comfortable and has everything you need for a city centre stay. I had a single room and while it was a bit small (as you might expect in a city centre hotel) it was clean, comfortable and well equipped so no complaints.
Breakfast was a bit expensive at 12 Euros but to be fair there was a very large selection to choose from and you could eat as much as you like.
The hotel has a nice bar and a buffet restaurant. There is also a choice of several nice restaurants within easy walking distance.
I would be happy to stay here again and to recommend it.

Room Tip: Avoid ground floor rooms that look out onto the road