“A perfect evening - one of best restaurants in Italy”

Carlo Govi Ristorante
Reserve with
Carlo Govi Ristorante is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 466 Restaurants in Mantua
Price range: USD 28 - USD 51
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: WE'D LIKE TO INFORM OUR GUESTS THAT WE ARE CLOSED FOR SUMMER HOLIDAYS IN AUGUST,STARTING ON THE 14th AND UP TO THE 24th. FURTHERMORE, IN AUGUST WE'LL OPEN ONLY FOR DINNER (WE ARE CLOSED AT LUNCH TIME). THANKS FOR YR ATTENTION!
Reviewed 20 August 2018

This was our favourite meal experience in Mantua and one of the best meals I've ever eaten in Italy. It's about twenty minutes' walk from the city centre and the place seemed to be full of locals and regular diners.  We loved everything about this place: the gentleman who looked after our table (who I believe was Carlo, the owner), was so warm and friendly and had such pride in the restaurant and the food they were serving. We were seated outside on the garden patio and enjoyed the most exquisite food, absolutely made with love. I ordered the steamed pumpkin flowers stuffed with ricotta as an antipasto and it was divine. I savoured every mouthful very slowly. The presentation was also fabulous - one of the nicest dishes I ate over the entire trip. My husband had the 'spaghetti alla chitarra' with crispy culatello for his starter which was also excellent. For my main I went for ravioli filled with aubergine and a soft Italian goat's cheese with cherry tomatoes and basil. My husband opted for their pork dish, cooked at a low temperature and served with Dijon mustard and apples caponata. Both dishes were close to perfect. We couldn't fit in a dessert unfortunately but we had a nice bottle of Valpolicella from the Veneto.

Everything about the place suggests a high-end restaurant - except the prices that is. My starter was €10 and our pasta dishes from €12 -€14.  They also offer the option of a half portion of pasta for about €8 - such a great idea as it allows you to try three courses without being completely stuffed to the gills. The surprise here was that the pork dish was also only €14. Excellent value overall. One of my favourite things about this place was the motto on their menu - "We do not charge cover - your presence here is a great pleasure for us". It certainly felt like that and we were treated like kings. One to revisit in the future for sure.

Reviewed 3 August 2018

We wished to taste a typical food from Mantova and follow the chief's recommendation. It was great, very delicious and nice decorated. We enjoyed every moment. I warmly recommend to all.

Reviewed 17 June 2018

What a jewel this place is! We came here after reading all the positive reviews and it was an absolute delight. The food was excellent and beautifully presented. The service was impeccable. The owner was friendly and talked to us about his passion for fine dining. At the end, we were served the mantovan specialty pastry called ‘sbrisolona’ but his recipe had a new take on it and was enhanced with spices like nutmeg and cinnamon. It was divine!

Reviewed 29 October 2017

We arrived here late evening for a dinner. Fortunatelly Carlo knew our inviter so we had an easy job to choose from his recomendation.
The restaurant itself is very nice with a few tables, so the first impression was more than perfect.
We have chosen the recomended meals - just the perfect end of the day.
Servis, meals, offered wine, even the restroom was perfect- I have no complaint.
If you find a table here, try yourselves!

Reviewed 2 September 2017 via mobile

We had a lovely experience here! Arriving on bicycles after a long ride from a neighbouring village we felt a little embarrassed and underdressed for Carlo's smartly dressed lunch crowd. We weren't sure whether to go in but we were made to feel incredibly welcome and the lovely host (I assume Carlo?) found us a nice private space in the restaurant and spent time with us talking through the local specialties and history. The food was really excellent - high quality and perfectly cooked. This place is a real gem!

1  Thank travellerandreviewer