“Great food, slow service”
Review of Ristorante Posta

Ristorante Posta
Ranked #5 of 51 Restaurants in Baveno
Price range: USD 20 - USD 39
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 22 September 2018

Ate at Posta based on a recommendation from my hotel. The food was great (my partner and I order vegetarian pasta dishes) but the slow service detracted from the overall experience and is the reason I cant give 5 stars. I think it took about 10 minutes to get a menu after being seated and another 15 minutes before we were given the opportunity to order. The waitress was also a little too 'snobby' for my taste, providing a curt "no...no" before I was even able to finish my question about removing anchovies from a dish. Nonetheless, the food was very good so I would recommend eating at Posta as long as you are ready to commit the time for an extended meal.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,071)

Reviewed 21 September 2018

This restaurant was recommended by our hotel and we were awed by the experience. The food was a pure Italian delight, we even came back to try other dishes and were thrilled. Service is great and friendly.

Reviewed 13 September 2018 via mobile

We went to Poste after hearing great things about it and reading reviews. We have a 3 yr old and a 15 month old, which hasn’t been an issue in the Lakes before.

The food we had was beautiful, but we had to wait quite a while for it to come and our kids were starving by that point, despite us feeding them snacks we had with us first.

To be fair, our little one made a mess, we tried to clean up but it’s only ever going to be a token effort, in many restaurants in Baveno and around the staff have bent over backwards to make us feel welcome and assured us they don’t mind clearing up, plus they’ve come over and chatted to the kids, even tried to cheer them up if they were crying, and laughing at them making a mess! This wasn’t the case in Poste, we felt like we were being watched, even talked about in Italian, which is really out of character for Italian hospitality. It may have been paranoia, but something made us feel paranoid where we hadn’t anywhere else in two weeks.

There was a €2 service charge per person, so that was €8 extra, I wouldn’t have left a tip after that experience but hey ho that’s the way it goes sometimes.

To top it off, some customers turned up and stood next to our table as they’d been told we were leaving, my wife hadn’t even finished her wine so this made it even worse, couldn’t wait to get rid of us.

Great food, but get the feeling this place is meant more for foodie couples who don’t want to sit near ‘pesky’ kids.

Reviewed 29 August 2018 via mobile

Visited this restaurant on our one night in Lake Maggiore.
Pleasantly surprised with the menu and pricing.
Service was first class , a good selection of wines and fascinating decor.
Would recommend this restaurant to anyone staying in Baveno.

Reviewed 28 August 2018

We called in to Ristorante Posta for some food late in the evening and managed to get a table outside after a short wait. The location of the restaurant in a small square near the Lake was very pleasant and the interior of the restaurant also looked really nice. It was very busy inside which was a testament to its popularity.

My girlfriend and I only had one course each due to the time we arrived, and half a bottle of wine, which was very nice. The service was fine despite us being outside - it was pretty leisurely but no long waits to order, for food etc.

I had the cannelloni and my girlfriend had the spaghetti. The portion sizes were small (even for primi piatti). The cannelloni was average and quite bland but the spaghetti was better, with much more taste.

We didn't make it back to the restaurant during our trip but would be happy to try it again for a more substantial meal as the Tripadviser reviews, amount of diners, decor, and photos of food show that they clearly do a lot right.

1  Thank mrpr81