All reviews quiet area plug sockets milan airport tea bags walking distance cakes short stay hotel bikes the main hotel visiting lake garda old town couple of nights public areas three star fresh fruit nice hotel recommend this hotel
Reviewed 22 April 2018

Located in a quiet area and a short walk from the peninsula but also easily accessible if you use the local bus service. All staff friendly and helpful. We had a twin room with a balcony overlooking the front of the hotel - the rooms are not large but were clean and had all that we required: including a kettle for a cuppa in the morning! Good choice of food at breakfast. Plenty of seating in the garden. The hotel was part of a Wowcher break and was good value for money. There is a bar and evening meals are also available although we didn't use.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have a balcony so worth asking when you check in.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 March 2018

My Partner and I stayed at this hotel from 19 - 22 March. This was part of a Wowcher Mystery Getaway so we didn't actually choose the hotel ourselves. I think we can both honestly say that we were pleasantly surprised when we arrived at the hotel. The lady on reception was very helpful with giving advice on where to go and where to eat and all other staff were very friendly. The hotel itself is very close to Sirmione which was lovely for a visit. You can get a bus there but we chose to walk as it was quite a nice day. It is also very close to the Lake itself.

If you are coeliac or require a gluten free menu I would recommend paying Ristorante Pizzeria Al Braciere a visit. They are about a 10 min walk from this hotel and can do GF pizzas and pasta and even gave me GF bread before my meal.

Breakfast, which was included in the price was sufficient for what we wanted although you really needed to get down there quite early to get the 'hot' food. Great choice of gluten free options as well.

Our room was a standard double and was very clean although really quite small but as we had paid so very little we weren't surprised. The bathroom was adequate although it was quite difficult to move once in the shower! There was a kettle in the room but we were only supplied with a couple of 'black' tea bags, no milk and no coffee. I did go down one morning to see if they had any coffee and they were very kind and gave me some from the restaurant. There is also a TV in the room and although we don't go away to watch television it would have been quite nice to have one channel, other than CNBC, that was in English. I like to have the TV on when I get back in the evening but we were unable to do that.

All in all, we would definitely recommend this hotel for a short stay.

Room Tip: I think if we were to stay at this hotel again I would request a room with a balcony
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2017

Hotel Mauro is quite a small hotel. Although it is not centrally located for the Sirmione peninsula it is extremely easy to get to. The bus from Desenzano stops about a 5 minute walk from the hotel, as does the shuttle bus (which costs 1 euro each way) to the castle area. We were also allowed to use the hotel bikes to cycle up, which took about 20 minutes. The hotel is also about 5 minutes away from the lake, with access for swimming.

The hotel staff were extremely friendly. Breakfast was as expected from a hotel buffet, but they did have some nice additions including vegetables (a welcome break from the carb-heavy diet of Italy).

We were given an upgrade to a larger room upon our arrival. The room was basic but well kept and had everything you needed.

Room Tip: It is worth going for the larger room.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Philippa W
Reviewed 18 July 2017

Reception staff very helpful and kind. Gave us some local jam when we left.

Unfortunately we were given a tiny box of a room in a building out the back of the main hotel. Lighting was terrible, dingy room on the ground floor, window had a view of the car park :(
Furniture was very old and creaky. Beds extremely uncomfortable but clean, pillows rock hard. Had to sit on bed to open wardrobe and even then it could not open all the way because of the smallness of the room.

Air conditioning was FAB!

Only one mirror - in bathroom.

Kettle provided but plug sockets looked dodgy so we didn't ever bother using it!

Safe in wardrobe - not told - we just found it!

Bathroom very modern and clean but, the plug hole in the shower must have been blocked as I managed to flood the bathroom and the bedroom on the first evening!!!
Staff very helpful and arranged for it to be cleaned up immediately and got a plumber out to clear the drain. Also washed my P.J's for me as they were soaked!
Clean towels but very rough and worn looking.

Really thin curtains (nets) but luckily the blinds block the sunshine in the morning.
After viewing other reviewer's photos, it became clear that we had been given a really small, old and tired room.
Asked to be moved but told the hotel was fully booked - even though there were many keys still hung up in reception!! Maybe they would not move us as we were on a Groupon deal?
Very thin walls - we heard the neighbours using the bathroom :(
We would have preferred a more modern room but, all in all, it did the job.

Breakfast was abundant : fresh fruit, cakes, pastries, breads, italian sausage, scrambled egg, juice, coffee , tea, cereals etc., Very good spread.

From the hotel it is only a 5 minute wander to the bus stops. Buy your tickets in the tobacconists or the gift shop. 1.50 euros, each way, to Sirmione Peninsula.

A few restaurants, bars and shops (inc. a pharmacy) are within strolling distance. Great food!!! (see photos).

Very peaceful and quiet area. Didn't hear any sirens at all! Locals were friendly but don't speak very good english. Most people just kept themselves to themselves.

A popular hotel for locals and someone brought their dog to stay too!

Liked the peaceful location, disliked the room.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building are newer and fresher & the higher floors have views (so I was told).
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Angel69
Reviewed 11 July 2017

We stayed at the Hotel Mauro for a few days. The hotel had been booked by a travel agent as part of a longer holiday. The staff were very helpful and the public areas were ok. However I found the room we stayed in very dark and dismal. It was clean however and the bed was quite comfortable. We stayed in what appeared to be an outbuilding set across from the main hotel and throughout our stay there was work going on just outside our room starting at 8 in the morning so no chance of a lie in. The area looked like a builders yard with piles of wood, tools everywhere and old furniture stacked. I'm sure when the work is complete the area will look a lot better but it was certainly very unattractive while we were there.

Room Tip: Get on the bus into Sirmione, it's much nicer there.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple