All reviews non guests gardens are beautiful lake como wedding reception fairytale wedding breakfast room church bells a lake view room a special place amazing views enjoy the view hotel restaurant ceiling fan an easy walk hotel du lac davide bellagio
Reviewed 7 October 2009

I agree with most of the other reviews so I won't repeat them. Lovely hotel, amazing view if you splurge on a lake view (which I would highly recommend), very friendly helpful staff, good restaurant with outdoor dining, breakfast served outside in another area. Our first night was superb. The room was a tiny bit hot and the air conditioning was apparently turned off after September 15th. But, a nice breeze off the lake. When we returned from ferry hopping the next day around 6pm and were relaxing before dinner, excruciatingly loud music started playing on the courtyard just below our room. When my husband asked at the desk, he was told that there was a fashion show being hosted that night and that the music would be going until 11:30pm. After enduring an hour and a half of mic checks interspersed with rock music and opera, we escaped to Vecchia Varenna for dinner for a couple of hours. We were only halfway back before we could hear the music pounding back at the hotel. Had we been interested in the fashion show, we could have watched it from our windows but not without earplugs. I'm not exaggerating about how loud it was. The reception that followed was not loud enough to bother us so I don't think we would have minded a wedding going on but I would recommend that if you book a room at this hotel, you ask about events going on at the same time. If the huge tower of speakers is going to be used, I would definitely recommend another hotel.

Reviewed 27 September 2009

We stayed five nights in the large suite, A. Manzoni. This features four shuttered windows overlooking the lake. The room offered fantastic space and ceiling height and of course, even better views. That cannot be faulted. But the furnishings in the room are not antique, just dated, somewhat worn and a little sparse. The double bed was simply odd and lacked all attempts to fit in with the classical feeling of the rest of the room. The bathroom was small and featured a rather cramped shower with no bath and one basin.

The hotel does have some charm and the garden, although not extensive, is a treat to explore. Breakfast is served in an adjoining building and here you can find what must be the world's best muesli. The selection is on the small side with fresh fruit a scarcity. This is hard to believe considering we were there in summer and found fabulous fruit for sale wherever we went.

The staff were friendly and I cannot say we have any bad memories of our time at the hotel, despite a wedding taking place in the function room beneath us. I have no doubt that this could easily spoil a well planned holiday. The hotel is central within Varenna and is a good place to relax and unwind in peace, away from the tourist hordes. Gazing out over the beauty of the lake is one of the lasting memories.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2009

My husband and I were invited to a wedding at the Hotel Villa Cipressi so we booked in for two nights - the day before and the night of the wedding. The hotel itself and the grounds were spectacular, the views stunning and we were lucky enough to be staying here when the weather was gorgeous.

Our room had a lake view and over looked a small courtyard/terrace where the wedding meal was served. The room was very hot, due to the weather, and so we slept with the shutters closed but the window open so you could hear the trickling of the fountain in the courtyard below - this didn't bother me as I sleep with earplugs in, also we were pretty tired/had a few to drink but I can imagine it annoying someone who wasn't prepared for it. Also, other guests in our party complained about being wakened on Saturday morning by church bells at 7am - again this didn't bother us (earplugs are great things!) but forewarned is forearmed.

Breakfast was a continental buffet style affair (croissants, cheese, ham etc) laid out in an annex to the hotel. Reading other comments I note that this has been described as like a basement, which i suppose some would see it that way, but if you looked around you would see it had a massive old style stone fireplace and ancient looking etchings up near the ceilings - it also had doors leading to a terrace that had wonderful lake views. Granted, it wasn't as impressive as some other rooms in the hotel but it was in keeping with the rustic/old world feel of the place.

The hotel staff were very friendly, the food was excellent and the location was great. The only difficulty we found was that the hotel offered no parking facilities. There were numerous free parking spaces (the ones in town were pay spaces) but these were often taken and you could end up walking a long way, potentially with heavy bags. So if you do drive, it is best to drop the bags off at the hotel door and then go and find a space. Also, a useful tip about the parking is that the spaces are colour-coded: white were free, blue were pay and yellow were resident parking only.

All in all a fab venue for a wonderful wedding!

Reviewed 19 September 2009

We spend 3 nights in Varenna and had our hearts set on a different hotel which was only available for the second 2 nights so we booked Villa Cipressi for our first night.

From what we could tell, all the lake view rooms have windows that look out over a courtyard and the gardens that lead to the lake shore. The view was tremendous! Immediately upon opening the door to our room I began to wonder if we had made a mistake by not staying here all 3 nights. The room was large with a huge bathroom and the view. The only thing that detracted from the room was the positively ancient TV mounted high in the corner. (Telefunken brand) Ignore that and the room was perfect.

We made reservations at the front desk for dinner which was served outdoors in the courtyard overlooking the lake. It was really a beautiful setting and the food was great. Prices were reasonable (~10 euro / plate) but we somehow talked ourselves into salad and dessert and of course wine. Everything was great.

The hotel is easy walking distance from the train and the main part of the lake front, 5 minutes maybe.

I read complaints from people that breakfast was not served outside where dinner was available and instead in a dark basement room. This was almost true. We found a very good breakfast laid out in that dark room with several tables but there were about 8 tables setup on a patio outside with views of the lake.

Breakfast: Normal croissants/pastry, cereal, yogurt, juice, coffee, tea, cold cuts, cheese, bread for toast, all kinds of jams, honey, etc, hard boiled eggs. There was probably more. It was the best breakfast we were offered all trip!

Gardens are available to guest for free. We walked through them. It was mostly landscape greenery and was nice place to stroll down to and by the lake. I can't imagine people paying extra to see it but we were there late in the season maybe it's better earlier in the summer. There's a much bigger garden you can pay to see in the next villa down but appears from the road to be similar foilage.

Note: One complaint I read was that the hotel is often used for weddings and they take over. We were there on a night when there were no weddings. But there were weddings the next two nights at least. We didn't stop back to crash them.

VISA accepted. The reason I gave 4 stars for value was that we stay at Hotel Du Lac the second 2 nights which had a higher sticker price but offered a 10% discount for cash payment which brought it down below the price of Villa Cipressi. I don't know for sure if Villa Cipressi offered a similar cash discount but I don't recall them mentioning it.

Reviewed 13 September 2009

We've just returned from Lake Como staying at Hotel Villa Cipressi as it was the venue for a friends wedding. The staff were friendly, the food was fabulous and the views were breath taking! If i return to Lake Como i'll definatly be staying one more night at the Cipressi.