“Beautiful Wedding Venue - Great Dinning”

Hotel Villa Cipressi
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Varenna
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We celebrated our wedding in August 2012 at the Villa Cipressi and are so glad we chose this venue!

The ceremony took place in the beautiful gardens of the Villa with a magnificent view on the lake.
The reception and the dinner were delicious - especially the mille feuilles wedding cake was a dream.

All our guests traveling from Europe and USA enjoyed their stay and the wedding very much. Not only the rooms were nice and clean but the location itself is a great place for those who want to relax as well as those who want to use this a starting point to visit other cities on the lake.

The Hotel Manager Davide and the staff are very professional and nice to work with (in the end they have several weddings per week) and happy to provide you with some good referrals for the wedding organization.

We can only recommend this as a wedding venue - also for catholic ceremonies since the beautiful small church is right next to the Villa.

The only downside is that this is no place for long or loud celebrations. Even though we had the Villa exclusively to ourselves, shortly after midnight we were rushed through a little, it was really clear that the staff had done their job and wanted to close.
That was a little unfortunate since we didn't even get to have any desert drinks and had to end the party already after the 3rd song.

But if you are looking for a beautiful setting with delicious food and magnificent views to enjoy rather quietly - this is the place.

For the party we arranged to move on after midnight to the really cute Pub d'Orso which is only a short walk along the lake away. The place itself is worth seeing with its stone walls and the huge celtic cross and Augusto (Tel: +39 0341 815 144 / augusto.balbi@libero.it) was very helpful to arrange and accommodate us.

It is also possible to take the guests on a boat trip on the lake in the afternoon and the Villa can provide you with the contacts. Our guests enjoyed the one hour quiet time with the cooling wind a lot.

For the flower arrangements, we followed Davide's advice and went with the Fiorista Pirovano.
The flower arrangements were even nicer than on the photos that we sent and we felt that the pricing was reasonable as well.

Overall, we had a wonderful wedding and are glad that we celebrated our wedding at the Villa Cipressi.

Thanks to Davide and his staff!

Room Tip: Get a room on the lake side - you might hear the church bell on the street side
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Diana T

Reviewed 14 September 2012

Overall, it was a fine hotel. Some rooms are on the 2nd floor of the adjacent building & there is no elevator. I should have requested the building with the elevator for my parents, since my father is 83yrs old. Also, there is no bellstaff. The cleaning ladies were assigned to drag our luggage down the stairs & they were not happy about that assignment. There was no air conditioning in one of our 2 rooms. I didn't request a/c, so I guess that's my fault. They provided a portable electric fan which was fine during the early mornings & late nights during a hot summer. ALSO, beware of the church bells. Depending on where your room is located, these bells (rung every hour starting at 7am) were very loud. Quaint, but there is no way to sleep past 7am. They also rang at 10PM & 11PM. Construction on the building next door can be loud during breakfast, and I believe it's going to be a very long construction project so FYI.

The front desk staff is absolutely perfect! They have a great attitude and are very helpful.

Don't worry about too many weddings (as mentioned in previous reviews). We were there Tues-Fri. & there was only 1 wedding. FYI, they can last until midnight on a Fri or Sat.

Room Tip: Be specific if you want air conditioning or an elevator or a room closest to the lake so that the ch...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 August 2012

The property is beautiful but the rooms are very average and bathrooms are small. We did have a lake view but you had to stand up to see it.

The lounge chairs are worn and could be replaced and wished we could have had someone bring us a cold drink.
Breakfast was included which was rather boring.
For the price we paid I expected much more. However the staff was very friendly.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank mexicanaxelmundo
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Well where to start!! We recently returned from Varenna, and what a little gem this place is. I chose the Villa Cipressi for our wedding ceremony and for the celebratory dinner on the 19th July this yr 2012, and I do not think I could have chosen a more beautiful setting, it was absolutely stunning, or in my dads words "superb!" Infact another guest said and I quote "I have been to so many weddings, but this will stick in my mind forever" That speaks for itself!! From the moment we arrived and I saw this place I just knew it was going to be just what I had imagined, and it didn't disappoint. So we checked into the Villa the day before the wedding after staying in a lovely little house in Fiumelatte just 10 minutes walk from the centre of Varenna, and we were allocated room 302, sadly we missed out on the bridal suite, it was already booked, but our room was nice and spacious with 3 lovely large windows with the most amazing views of the lake! I was happy with that.........BUT.....one real problem for me especially being a bride, was the fact that it did not have a mirror for me to get ready at the dressing table, which mucked up my photos a little too, so some constructive criticism there for you Cipressi, you could do with a mirror on the dressing table, without it it was extremely difficult tyring to get ready using a compact mirror!!! And it wasn't quite the same having photos taken in the bathroom mirror!!  Anyway that aside everything else was absolutely fine.

So anyway, the ceremony was held on the lower terrace with stunning views again, everything I imagined, it was perfect, and we had the violin and cello playing throughout, only problem is I don't seem to remember an awful lot of it, I was in a complete bubble, so thank god we had a videographer, so looking forward to seeing that. The ceremony was very short, just aswell as it was very very hot, then we moved on up to the pegola area where we had aperitivo, which consisted of various canapes, prosecco and some some fruit juices, it was all very nice.and again a great backdrop for the photos.

We had hired a private boat to take us all on a private pre dinner cruise of the lake, highly recommended. So then it was back to the Villa for the dinner, where I had booked a lovely large table under the pegola, which was beautifully decorated by my wedding planner Federica. The food was absolutely fantastic and went down a treat  by all, the food is such an
important factor for any wedding, and I can honestly say that every one of the guests commented on how fabtastic the quality of the food was, it was divine! So a great choice there.

Before I finish up I just have to mention the lovely guy on reception (cant remember his name, bald head and glasses) what a nice chap, so very friendly and helpful, always smiling and makes you feel very welcome, nothing was too much trouble for him :) Shame more people aren't like him.

Anyway lets wrap this up by saying if you are thinking about visiting or maybe having your wedding here at Villa Cipressi, then think no more, you will not be disappointed, its simply beautiful and the location is just perfect. We will definately be returning next year for our anniversary dinner, cannot wait, see you soon Cipressi, ciao ciao!!

PS I'VE GOT LOADS OF PICS OF THE VILLA AND SURROUNDINGS BUT THERE IS A PROBLEM WHEN UPLOADING SO PM ME

• Stayed: July 2012
4  Thank lynny1977
Reviewed 15 August 2012

The entry into the hotel and reception is fantastic with beautiful views of the lake and gardens but that is the highlight. It goes downhill from there and quickly. We got a lake view room which was great but the room was average at best. Very plain and a very small shower. Looks like an old Holiday Inn in the states. The AC quit on us both nights and then it leaked water all over the floor. We were then informed we had to empty the water bucket under the sink. Obviously the AC units were added at a later date and were not plumbed properly (at all).
The first day, they had a wedding in the gardens, which was a bit loud but it ended early as it started in the afternoon but that kept us from enjoying a walk in the gardens and down by the lake as the area was closed off for wedding guests only.
The second night,(sunday night) they had a fashion show with about 100+ guests, a DJ, very loud disco music, food, drinks and it STARTED at 9PM and ended around 1AM. Needless to say, with our room one floor up from all this, we got about 4 hours of sleep before we had to get up and catch an early train. Ear plugs were no match for the volume this music was played at. Trust me, we tried.
I voiced my displeasure with the manager at the hotel about no AC (again-our room was around 90 degrees and 100% humidity while we packed) and the very loud party. As I stood there dripping with sweat, he said he was sorry about the late night and walked off. The girl at reception then proceeded to ask me if I wanted to keep the room charges on my credit card and that was that. I paid, went back up stairs, took a quick cold shower and promptly left.
If you stay here, you will get a very average room and get ready for the weddings and parties. This place has the best set up in Varenna for a wedding, party or whatever and everyone knows it and therin lies the problem. The place is booked with something nearly every night. Great for the hotel but very bad for the guests. Don't bother with dinner either. The service is bad and the food is mediocre. They brought my wife a chicken dish after she ordered a steak and would never remedy the situation. They just kept walking by and finally said they charged the meal to our room and we could leave as they had guest waiting to sit down. Left over people from the wedding that just finished. Just crap service. There are dozens of great places to eat in town and any of them are better than this.
If you come to Lake Como for a little rest, relaxation, a nice drink looking over the lake in the evening (waited 15 minutes for a drink one night and finally gave up), then stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
11  Thank WYSOKC
Also consider these accommodations in or near Varenna
0.1 km away
3.1 km away
Hotel Du Lac
Hotel Du Lac
#4 of 16 in Bellagio

Been to Hotel Villa Cipressi? Share your experiences!