All reviewsnon guestsgardens are beautifulview of the lakewedding receptionfairytale weddingchurch bellsa special placeamazing viewsenjoy the viewlago di comohotel restaurantceiling fanan easy walkhotel du lacdavidebellagioterrace
Reviewed 15 August 2012

The entry into the hotel and reception is fantastic with beautiful views of the lake and gardens but that is the highlight. It goes downhill from there and quickly. We got a lake view room which was great but the room was average at best. Very plain and a very small shower. Looks like an old Holiday Inn in the states. The AC quit on us both nights and then it leaked water all over the floor. We were then informed we had to empty the water bucket under the sink. Obviously the AC units were added at a later date and were not plumbed properly (at all).
The first day, they had a wedding in the gardens, which was a bit loud but it ended early as it started in the afternoon but that kept us from enjoying a walk in the gardens and down by the lake as the area was closed off for wedding guests only.
The second night,(sunday night) they had a fashion show with about 100+ guests, a DJ, very loud disco music, food, drinks and it STARTED at 9PM and ended around 1AM. Needless to say, with our room one floor up from all this, we got about 4 hours of sleep before we had to get up and catch an early train. Ear plugs were no match for the volume this music was played at. Trust me, we tried.
I voiced my displeasure with the manager at the hotel about no AC (again-our room was around 90 degrees and 100% humidity while we packed) and the very loud party. As I stood there dripping with sweat, he said he was sorry about the late night and walked off. The girl at reception then proceeded to ask me if I wanted to keep the room charges on my credit card and that was that. I paid, went back up stairs, took a quick cold shower and promptly left.
If you stay here, you will get a very average room and get ready for the weddings and parties. This place has the best set up in Varenna for a wedding, party or whatever and everyone knows it and therin lies the problem. The place is booked with something nearly every night. Great for the hotel but very bad for the guests. Don't bother with dinner either. The service is bad and the food is mediocre. They brought my wife a chicken dish after she ordered a steak and would never remedy the situation. They just kept walking by and finally said they charged the meal to our room and we could leave as they had guest waiting to sit down. Left over people from the wedding that just finished. Just crap service. There are dozens of great places to eat in town and any of them are better than this.
If you come to Lake Como for a little rest, relaxation, a nice drink looking over the lake in the evening (waited 15 minutes for a drink one night and finally gave up), then stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
11  Thank WYSOKC
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Visited Villa Cipressi in 2009, and again this year (2012). All staff members are delightful, competent, responsive and on top of every request. I almost do not want to tell others about this village, as Varenna is simply wonderful, and Villa Cipressi is a splurge worth it ! ! !

Room Tip: Lake View rooms are BEAUTIFUL, but you can save many Euro by not having a lake view, and simply spend your day on the terrace, in the gardens, and walking the lakeside path. Use the saved Euro for dinner.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank saolsen11
Reviewed 22 June 2012

my wife and i recently stayed for 2 nights .Before we travelled we checked out the website and tripadvisor so we knew what we were letting ourselves in for and upon arrival these expectations we instantly surpassed . Make no mistake this is no 5 star luxury hotel with hot and cold running everything its rough around the edges in places theres no room service , no pool, no tea or coffee making facilities in the room ,no mini bar, no sun loungers and the rooms need some serious refurbishment so that the glamour and romance of the outside is reflected on the inside. This is a 3 star hotel but having said that it really is a beautiful building in a stunning location, for us it was the staff that made it everyone we came across was so friendly and helpful. The rooms were basic and ours (302) had air con which was a god send considering it was 32 degrees C outside im not sure all rooms do have air con. The beds were very comfortable but the pillows were not so a couple of restless nights but you cant have everything can you. Breakfast was ok nothing spectacular and was served on a small terrace on the other side of the hotel. We would love to stay again and next time we will try the restaurant which looked amazing . Many thanks to all the staff who looked after us so well

Room Tip: room 302 looked out over the lake and the courtyard
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank quorny
Reviewed 13 June 2012

What a great place. The Lake Como views are great. The rooms are large and clean, and every staff member I dealt with, both at the front desk at in the restaurant, was friendly and extremely helpful. The gardens are beautiful...not too "up tight" and overly trimmed, but very authentic feeling with rocky terraces and the biggest magnolia I have ever seen. There was a wedding while I was there, but it was small, classy, and not loud at all. If anything, it added to the ambiance. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Get one with a Lake view.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2012

We had our wedding and reception at the Villa Cipressi on Monday 4 June, 2012. Yes, just a few days ago but it was amazing from beginning to end! We only had a small group join us - just 11 adults and two children in all - but this is what we wanted and we could not believe that we were fortunate enough to have found this incredible villa on Lake Como which would accommodate such a small group.

Villa Cipressi is a very special place, the villa itself is so striking and it is set in gorgeous gardens - we married outside on the lower terrace and then ate our sumptuous wedding breakfast on the higher terrace outside the restaurant - the scenery was breathtaking and everyone (even us, and we'd seen it before) were all blown away! This place is like a film set and is easily the most beautiful of the villas on the lake (yes, even Villa Del Balbianello - which is lovely - but Villa Cipressi is still the best).

The food, from the antipasto through to the four course meal followed by the dessert buffet were all just fantastic…and the wedding cake was simply amazing (my new husband was just very disappointed that he only managed to get one slice - it went so quick because everyone thought it so delicious!).

And of course, I can't forget to mention the service - Davide and his staff (particularly our waiters Massimo and Gianni) were just wonderful and we can only thank them for a perfect day and evening!

We also had Sally from WeddingBox Lake Como as our wedding planner - we cannot recommend her highly enough! She will take away the stress of making sure your paperwork is perfectly in order and does so much to ensure the day runs smoothly. Varenna itself is a gem of a find, like a little village but with a number of fantastic places to eat - and a great place to base yourself to see other parts of the lake. We, and our guests, had such an amazing weekend and if I could I would do it all over again tomorrow!

If you are considering Villa Cipressi for your wedding - I cannot recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple