“Stunning location for our wedding”

Hotel Villa Cipressi
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Varenna
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Well where to start!! We recently returned from Varenna, and what a little gem this place is. I chose the Villa Cipressi for our wedding ceremony and for the celebratory dinner on the 19th July this yr 2012, and I do not think I could have chosen a more beautiful setting, it was absolutely stunning, or in my dads words "superb!" Infact another guest said and I quote "I have been to so many weddings, but this will stick in my mind forever" That speaks for itself!! From the moment we arrived and I saw this place I just knew it was going to be just what I had imagined, and it didn't disappoint. So we checked into the Villa the day before the wedding after staying in a lovely little house in Fiumelatte just 10 minutes walk from the centre of Varenna, and we were allocated room 302, sadly we missed out on the bridal suite, it was already booked, but our room was nice and spacious with 3 lovely large windows with the most amazing views of the lake! I was happy with that.........BUT.....one real problem for me especially being a bride, was the fact that it did not have a mirror for me to get ready at the dressing table, which mucked up my photos a little too, so some constructive criticism there for you Cipressi, you could do with a mirror on the dressing table, without it it was extremely difficult tyring to get ready using a compact mirror!!! And it wasn't quite the same having photos taken in the bathroom mirror!!  Anyway that aside everything else was absolutely fine.

So anyway, the ceremony was held on the lower terrace with stunning views again, everything I imagined, it was perfect, and we had the violin and cello playing throughout, only problem is I don't seem to remember an awful lot of it, I was in a complete bubble, so thank god we had a videographer, so looking forward to seeing that. The ceremony was very short, just aswell as it was very very hot, then we moved on up to the pegola area where we had aperitivo, which consisted of various canapes, prosecco and some some fruit juices, it was all very nice.and again a great backdrop for the photos.

We had hired a private boat to take us all on a private pre dinner cruise of the lake, highly recommended. So then it was back to the Villa for the dinner, where I had booked a lovely large table under the pegola, which was beautifully decorated by my wedding planner Federica. The food was absolutely fantastic and went down a treat  by all, the food is such an
important factor for any wedding, and I can honestly say that every one of the guests commented on how fabtastic the quality of the food was, it was divine! So a great choice there.

Before I finish up I just have to mention the lovely guy on reception (cant remember his name, bald head and glasses) what a nice chap, so very friendly and helpful, always smiling and makes you feel very welcome, nothing was too much trouble for him :) Shame more people aren't like him.

Anyway lets wrap this up by saying if you are thinking about visiting or maybe having your wedding here at Villa Cipressi, then think no more, you will not be disappointed, its simply beautiful and the location is just perfect. We will definately be returning next year for our anniversary dinner, cannot wait, see you soon Cipressi, ciao ciao!!

PS I'VE GOT LOADS OF PICS OF THE VILLA AND SURROUNDINGS BUT THERE IS A PROBLEM WHEN UPLOADING SO PM ME

• Stayed: July 2012
4  Thank lynny1977

Reviewed 15 August 2012

The entry into the hotel and reception is fantastic with beautiful views of the lake and gardens but that is the highlight. It goes downhill from there and quickly. We got a lake view room which was great but the room was average at best. Very plain and a very small shower. Looks like an old Holiday Inn in the states. The AC quit on us both nights and then it leaked water all over the floor. We were then informed we had to empty the water bucket under the sink. Obviously the AC units were added at a later date and were not plumbed properly (at all).
The first day, they had a wedding in the gardens, which was a bit loud but it ended early as it started in the afternoon but that kept us from enjoying a walk in the gardens and down by the lake as the area was closed off for wedding guests only.
The second night,(sunday night) they had a fashion show with about 100+ guests, a DJ, very loud disco music, food, drinks and it STARTED at 9PM and ended around 1AM. Needless to say, with our room one floor up from all this, we got about 4 hours of sleep before we had to get up and catch an early train. Ear plugs were no match for the volume this music was played at. Trust me, we tried.
I voiced my displeasure with the manager at the hotel about no AC (again-our room was around 90 degrees and 100% humidity while we packed) and the very loud party. As I stood there dripping with sweat, he said he was sorry about the late night and walked off. The girl at reception then proceeded to ask me if I wanted to keep the room charges on my credit card and that was that. I paid, went back up stairs, took a quick cold shower and promptly left.
If you stay here, you will get a very average room and get ready for the weddings and parties. This place has the best set up in Varenna for a wedding, party or whatever and everyone knows it and therin lies the problem. The place is booked with something nearly every night. Great for the hotel but very bad for the guests. Don't bother with dinner either. The service is bad and the food is mediocre. They brought my wife a chicken dish after she ordered a steak and would never remedy the situation. They just kept walking by and finally said they charged the meal to our room and we could leave as they had guest waiting to sit down. Left over people from the wedding that just finished. Just crap service. There are dozens of great places to eat in town and any of them are better than this.
If you come to Lake Como for a little rest, relaxation, a nice drink looking over the lake in the evening (waited 15 minutes for a drink one night and finally gave up), then stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
11  Thank WYSOKC
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Visited Villa Cipressi in 2009, and again this year (2012). All staff members are delightful, competent, responsive and on top of every request. I almost do not want to tell others about this village, as Varenna is simply wonderful, and Villa Cipressi is a splurge worth it ! ! !

Room Tip: Lake View rooms are BEAUTIFUL, but you can save many Euro by not having a lake view, and simply spen...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank saolsen11
Reviewed 22 June 2012

my wife and i recently stayed for 2 nights .Before we travelled we checked out the website and tripadvisor so we knew what we were letting ourselves in for and upon arrival these expectations we instantly surpassed . Make no mistake this is no 5 star luxury hotel with hot and cold running everything its rough around the edges in places theres no room service , no pool, no tea or coffee making facilities in the room ,no mini bar, no sun loungers and the rooms need some serious refurbishment so that the glamour and romance of the outside is reflected on the inside. This is a 3 star hotel but having said that it really is a beautiful building in a stunning location, for us it was the staff that made it everyone we came across was so friendly and helpful. The rooms were basic and ours (302) had air con which was a god send considering it was 32 degrees C outside im not sure all rooms do have air con. The beds were very comfortable but the pillows were not so a couple of restless nights but you cant have everything can you. Breakfast was ok nothing spectacular and was served on a small terrace on the other side of the hotel. We would love to stay again and next time we will try the restaurant which looked amazing . Many thanks to all the staff who looked after us so well

Room Tip: room 302 looked out over the lake and the courtyard
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank quorny
Reviewed 13 June 2012

What a great place. The Lake Como views are great. The rooms are large and clean, and every staff member I dealt with, both at the front desk at in the restaurant, was friendly and extremely helpful. The gardens are beautiful...not too "up tight" and overly trimmed, but very authentic feeling with rocky terraces and the biggest magnolia I have ever seen. There was a wedding while I was there, but it was small, classy, and not loud at all. If anything, it added to the ambiance. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Get one with a Lake view.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Varenna
0.1 km away
3.1 km away
Hotel Du Lac
Hotel Du Lac
#4 of 16 in Bellagio

Been to Hotel Villa Cipressi? Share your experiences!