All reviews lake como partial lake view small balcony an aperitif parking garage wonderful hotel superior room perfect spot king bed each morning small hotel short walk train station hotel is situated breakfast room breakfast was delicious views are spectacular
Reviewed 29 October 2018

Located on the eastern shore of Lake Como this wonderful boutique hotel was one of the highlights of our recent trip to Italy.

I had requested a room with a patio. Despite being located immediately above the restaurant (see attached photo) in the main building, our room was very quiet. As noted by one of the reviews below, the lack of elevator in the main building may present difficulty for some guests, but there is a wing which does have an elevator. It was not lost on me that there were many older guests (me being one of them). If you have special needs, I would advise you to write to the hotel well in advance. The staff is fantastic, and I'm sure that you'll find them very accommodating. My only regret is that our stay was just for 2 nights.

Varenna is relatively unspoiled. It's a great jumping off spot for hiking or a short, fast ferry ride to its larger and more well-known neighboring town of Bellagio. (A suggestion: after breakfast, take the beautiful greenway walk from the hotel to the Varenna ferry, catch the fast ferry to Bellagio for some serious shopping, sight-seeing and/or hiking. From Bellagio you might consider visiting one of the many other towns on the lake. In our case, after lunch in Bellagio, we took the fast ferry back to the eastern shore, getting off in Bellano, north of Varenna, and then did a 3.5-hour hike back to Varenna via the Sentiero del Viandante. For this 71-year-old, it was a moderately challenging hike, mainly due to the number of stairs and often uneven terrain. For a young backpacker it's a walk in the park. (BTW, if you do this hike without a guide, as we did, pay close attention to the trail makers.)

The following morning we hiked up to Castello di Vezio, a 12th-century castle located high above Varenna. There is a small entrance fee. It goes for restoration of the property. The reward is a beautiful view of the lake and surrounding mountains. Worth the effort, especially on a sunny day.

Room tip: The rooms above the restaurant (if memory serves me well, they're rooms 9,10, and 11) have full patios.
5  Thank TAR_06880
Reviewed 23 October 2018 via mobile

Beautiful hotel right on the Lake in the charming town of Varenna. We spent two nights and we could not have had a better stay. The staff were incredible and so kind. Their recommendations for visiting sites hiking transportation and restaurants were perfect and added to a perfect stay. We would love to return to this beautiful location on Lake Como

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Msmouse1
Reviewed 20 October 2018

This hotel is right on the water in the heart of the historic center. Smaller and friendly. Great breakfast that includes all the tasty treats you would expect, as well as eggs and bacon. Offers its own parking lot which is very useful since parking is otherwise a problem. For those with mobility issues, note that the entrance is down a steep hill from the nearby piazza and the final approach is a set of stone steps. But you can avoid the stone steps by using a door that is in the covered parking area you pass on the way down the street. The door leads into the hall of the wing with an elevator. (To enter you need to ring the bell/buzzer and the desk person can buzz you in.)

We were in room #32, a larger room with queen and a twin and a balcony facing the lake. They don't consider it a partial view room, but it is since the lake view is cut off on both sides by nearby wings that extend further. Nonetheless, it was still very pleasant and with the windows open, you could hear the waves lapping the shore. #32 was in the wing that does have an elevator, meaning we didn't have to lug our bags up the stairs. This wing does not directly connect to the other floors. So not all rooms have elevator access. #32 is conveniently located across from the door that exited to the parking. So when we checked out, we could avoid the outdoor steps, by exiting out the door into the parking garage and then roll our bags up the street to the nearby piazza. Note that the main building does not have an elevator. But they will assist in getting your bags up to your room.

All in all, a lovely hotel and I would gladly stay there again.

Room tip: Lake views are lovely. If you don't like stairs, ask for a room in the wing with the elevator. There are only a few rooms in that wing
1  Thank Amy S
Reviewed 18 October 2018 via mobile

We had booked a 2 night stay in this so called “ Botique “ Hotel in July this year. The Room booked was a Double Room with a view of the Lake. We had paid a staggering 430 Euros for 2 nights.
I had called the hotel and requested for a Room facing the front of the Lake.
We checked into the Hotel at 3:30pm on 17th October. The Room we got was at the back of the hotel with a Room with a very small View of the Lake, not what I had requested and paid for to the Hotel through Booking.com
After complaining and speaking to the front desk, they told me that they would give me a Lake facing room the next day.
Even though the room was still not taken by another guest they never gave me my preferred room in spite of me complaining on the phone to the Hotel Manager.
Very Unfortunate that we have travelled all the way from India and have booked a room since July and still never got the room we requested for.
The Receptionist wanted to make up by offering us an Appertivo drink for the evening. I’m sorry but I do not agree to this rubbish.
They are so very unprofessional as Hoteliers !!! Even though they had a room available where a guest had not checked in, who had paid the same price for one night, this Hotel was not willing to give us a Lake facing room where we had paid for 2 nights at the same costs.
We booked this Hotel on the recommendation of other guests from Trip Advisor but unfortunately we are so very disappointed.
I would advise travellers against using this Hotel as they do not deliver what was promised at the time of booking.
Another disappointment was that the Hotel Restaurant is open only during the weekend. Why would one want to stay and pay for a Hotel with a beautiful Lake facing terrace which is not open from Monday to Thursday
Worldwide Travellers, please avoid the Varenna Hotel Du Lac

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank INTERNATIONALDOC
Reviewed 16 October 2018

The Hotel du Lac (Albergo Teolinda) has an excellent lake-front location, and a family-run feeling. The entire staff is well-trained and seem delighted that you are staying with them. A very good breakfast is included, and served on the lakefront patio (weather permitting).
Hint: the lake view rooms get direct afternoon sun, pull your drapes before heading out for the day!

Date of stay: September 2018