All reviews the club lounge lake como starwood points outdoor restaurant great pool pool view nice hotel upgraded to a suite ferry stop minute walk boat station comfortable beds main restaurant beautiful property water taxi room was spotless close to the hotel
Reviewed 30 August 2018

First of all the positive sides:

Great (heated) pool with also a nice whirpool area and sunbeds for everyone
Great breakfast with a lot of choice
Much comfy beds
Nice location, only a 10-minute-walk to Cernobbio's restaurants and right at the lake shore (once you crossed the street) - perfect if you like to run in the morning or if you want to catch the boat shuttle to Como (about 10 minutes to go there by boat)
Free parking all around the hotel and an underground car park for 15€/night if you don't want your car to stay out
and last but not least, very friendly staff always there to help you out whatever your request

But for a Sheraton hotel, I must say I was a bit disappointed by the following points:

No terrasse to enjoy breakfast outside (a suggestion would be to give the guests the possibility to have breakfast at the pool restaurant), all the more as the breakfast room is actually windowless.
Free wifi but kicking you out every single day... so you have to register every day, quite annoying I must say
The balcony in the room is hardly a balcony, you can just stay standing and well enjoy the great view on your room neighbours
Toilet flush in the room... hum, you need to exercice out if you want to be able to flush! my 11-year-old daughter had to call us each time she went to the toilet
and finally, you have to cross the road in front of the hotel to access the swimming pool

We had a nice stay at the Sheraton Lake Como but for a hotel of this category I was excepting a bit more, you know for the value/price ratio.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Voyager5792
Reviewed 25 August 2018

The hotel is located 10 minutes ferry ride away from the city center. The room were really good. They have a decent breakfast. There were some issue with the house keeping but the manager was able to sorting things out quickly upon informing. The pool and jacuzzi were lovely. There is a supermarket near to hotel. The dining options were limited as all the restaurant pretty much served Italian cuisine leaving no variety.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

I went to Sheraton Lake Como in August, I had messed my dates of stay. The staff there, specifically the manager Mr.Stefano found me an accommodation, helped us with everything and had not charged me for the mistake. The hotel was great, but the staff and their help made it the most wonderful! I also lost my very expensive jacket, the hotel Staff and Mr.Stefano went to heaven’s length to check the cctv, footage and everything else to finally find it! I can never thank them enough!!!!! The best place to be! THANK YOU SHERATON LAKE COMO

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 August 2018

First off, I'd like to say a word to all those complaining about the location of the hotel: did you not, once ever, look at a map before coming here? Is it that difficult to suss out that this hotel is not located anywhere near the center of Como? Some people really amuse me... Yes, the hotel is not centrally located. No, it's really not a problem if you set your expectations correctly. And in no way should this influence the review of the hotel itself. But that's just my opinion, take it or leave it.

Now I've mentioned it, a few more words about the location. The hotel is located a 15-minute walk away from the town of Cernobbio and a ten-minute boat ride (2.60 euro round trip) away from Como. The boat dock (Tavernola) is five minutes away (three if you hurry). (Be warned - in the warmer times getting out of Tavernola isn't a problem, but getting back here can be - as you may imagine, this isn't the only stop on the boat's route, but Como is an end point, so it will get crowded.) There is a pizzeria opposite the dock if you get tired of the hotel's fare and don't want to travel far. There's also a fantastic supermarket right next to the hotel. You can find plenty of free street parking (or pay a fairly reasonable 15 euro/night to park in the hotel's unguarded but gated garage). Views towards the pool can catch a little bit of the lake (in particular, rooms in the odd high-500 range, so 525, 527, etc.); views of the mountain will catch some industrial facilities. It's not an awesome location overall, but do your research (like reading this review) and you'll know what to expect.

As far as the hotel itself is concerned: I've stayed at a number of similar properties before and, for the most part, Sheraton Como is par for the course, which is a good thing because it helps maintain accurate expectations of the brand.

Our room was reasonably spacious, with a king bed that could fit four (seriously, I have owned king beds myself and they were in no way even close to this one's size) - I would say "comfortably", but the mattress has all the softness of a park bench. The pillows, on the other hand, are amazingly soft.

The bathroom over-indexes on marble and under-indexes on comfort: the bidet gets in the way of the door, the toilet flushing button requires Hulk-like strength and the shower itself could do with a better showerhead and water temperature control, as it seems to be directly, immediately and unpredictably affected by others' water usage. The shower door has no handle and it doesn't stay in place and there's a large gap between it and the wall, so it's hard to get comfortable in all the air flow. There are also secondary nozzles on a vertical bar that shoot water with the power of a submachine gun directly into the wall unless you're unfortunate enough to get in their way. Still don't understand their purpose. Oh, and there isn't a single place to hang towels. Not one hook. The "towel dry" bar isn't a good substitute as there's hardly space there for one towel, let alone two.

There's a large wall-mounted LCD TV with decent programming. Wi-fi is fast, but does log you out every day, which is annoying. The wardrobes have some questionable shelf location choices (not one single drawer for things like t-shirts and underwear). There is a small balcony with zero privacy (you can see your entire floor's balconies stepping out on yours, so please do so at least partially clothed).

As amenities go, the pool isn't located in the hotel proper, nor are two of the restaurants (though there is one on the first floor of the hotel, as well) - instead, they are in a park-like setting directly opposite. The pool itself (the larger, non-whirlpool part) could be just a couple degrees warmer to be fully comfortable, even on the hottest of days, but that's just my personal preference.

The Kincho restaurant has an absolutely amazing beef fillet which, if you throw in one of their small plates (which, in the case of the three-euro mozzarella toast, are anything but small) is large enough for two. Even though I have made the shameful faux-pas of ordering mine well-done (I know I'm a horrible person for which I will suffer the eternity in gastronomic hell, but I just can't bring myself to eat half-cooked beef), the staff was very understanding (though they did bring it medium-rare on the first try).

Restaurant Kitchen is worth it just for the experience (waiters pulling out mini-couches that serve as chairs for you, arranging your glasses just like so, separate menus for men and women - the latter without prices, etc.). The portions are small, commensurate with the "fine dining" setting, although desserts are disproportionately large.

The hotel breakfast costs 18 euro, which is not outrageous. The food itself is OK. Not bad, not great. Enough to leave you full to start your day, but nothing to brag about. The lounge (free for Amex Platinum card and SPG Platinum members) costs 50 euro per night, which, unless you're going to spend entire days there is NOT worth it.

All in all, none of my complaints are dealbreakers, but worth knowing. Given the fact that this hotel is far from cheap (16K SPG points/night and over 300 Euro), one might say the value isn't there. I may agree. At half the rate this review would rate six stars and wouldn't be nearly as acerbic, but here we are.

Oh, and someone tried to walk upside-down on our ceiling (hopefully prior to our arrival). See photo.

Parting words: all of my interactions with staff were extremely pleasant. I'm hoping they actually read this review and take some of its finer points to heart rather then generically "appreciate [my] comments and pass them on to [somewhere]". I'm happy to elaborate more if anyone from the hotel actually wants to get in touch with me.

Room Tip: If you want a glimpse of Lake Como, ask for a room in the odd high-500s (525, 527, etc)
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Chiara D, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Lake Como Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2018

Dear highlanderfil,

first off, thanks for sharing your recent experience at the Sheraton Lake Como Hotel with us through Tripadvisor.

Your review contains a huge amount of information and accurate descriptions of the room, the bed, the pillows, the bathroom, the restaurants .. and all the rest.

They'll certainly be very useful and valuable to many possible future guests of the Sheraton Lake Como Hotel.

Thanks again for your time and we hope you choose to stay with us again whenever your travels bring you back to Como.

Chiara De Santis
Executive Assistant Manager
Sheraton Lake Como Hotel

Reviewed 15 August 2018 via mobile

My review is purely on the hospitality and customer service prior to check-in (you’ll understand in a moment why). To start with, I’ve been a Starwood Platinum guest for 5 years now - averaging 75-100 nights a year in their properties. I booked the hotel at a good rate long in advance - November 2017 for an August 2018 wedding. In June (7 months after booking and only 2 months before my stay), I received an email from Stefano, a ‘front office manager’, informing me he was cancelling my reservation as they were overbooked. No other explanation. At this point, everything affordable on Como was booked. Further, no concession was offered, such as booking me a new property and funding that reservation due to their error. This is the single worst experience I’ve had with the hospitality industry and it was shocking. I was told good luck, fend for myself, despite being a loyal and regular customer. I wouldn’t recommend this hotel to anyone and certainly will not moving forward.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Ben C,

thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor.

I'm sorry to read that not everything went smootly with your booking.
Sometimes, It can unfortunately happen that something doesn't go in the right way.
Our staff reported me they returned you the SPG points and found another accommodation in a Hotel nearby at a reasonable price.

Managing at best the pre-arrival procedures is one of our key priorities, that's why I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

As a teachable moment, I've already shared your valued comments with the reservation and front desk staff in order to avoid issue such as yours happen again.

Thanks again for your time and understanding.

Chiara De Santis