“Friendly staff, central location, airy rooms with character”
Review of Hotel Suisse

Hotel Suisse
Ranked #141 of 172 Genoa B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 April 2012

The manager really made my stay here exceptional - I was going on holiday with my partner to celebrate my birthday, and I had deliberately tried to choose a hotel where we could just close the door and be anonymous. Our last hotel was in Morocco, and it was only us and the manager, and he tried to treat us like family... which in my case reminded me of staying with my mother ('when are you coming back, so I can have food ready?' 'what time do you want to be woken up in the morning?' 'I'm going out shopping, how long are you going to be so I can be at home to let you in?'). I was a little disappointed to find out that Meuble Suisse was more of a series of converted rooms in a huge apartment, with the manager at the front desk, than a big anonymous hotel. But he absolutely made our trip. He was a wealth of information, without being intrusive. I heard him speak at least 4 different languages, including English and Russian. And he seemed to be there at all hours, without ever getting grumpy! We asked for advice on where to eat, and he recommended a fantastic restaurant just around the corner (Heston-Blumenthal-meets-Italian-country-kitchen!). When we said we might try it on the Sunday, he gently pointed out that it would be closed on Sunday, but without being bossy. (I was so upset it was closed on Sunday and Monday, I would have eaten there every night of the trip!)
The location of the hotel is superb - on the main shopping street, and just along from the train station. This makes this a perfect stop-over for trying out the Cinque Terre walks. The rooms are quiet, despite being on the main road.
The bathrooms are a bit exciting - they are on the small side, but all en-suite. DON'T turn off the pump for the toilet though (to reduce the noise), and forget to turn it back on before having a shower :) I did end up up to my ankles in shower water! But this is fairly standard for Continental hotels.
The hotel is up a number of stairs, but there is a lift, and the apartment building is full of character inside, despite it's somewhat bland exterior.

Definitely would go back there!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SarahFR

Reviewed 25 March 2012

Despite we had to change the date of our travel, risking to loose the money of our reservation, the manager found a way to reschedule our accomodation at the same price with great kindness. He was really pleased to help us. He gave us a very warm welcome. Great location in the city center in an historical building. Perfect parking accomodation just across the street.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 5 January 2012

We had driven to the hotel and we had to circle a few times to find the hotel since there were 2 sets of numbers on Via Settembre and none said 21. Finally, we spotted the small sign and had to be dropped off a couple blocks away with our luggage while my friend returned our rental car.

The hotel is one half of the 3rd floor (Unit 6) and you can take the small elevator from the 1st floor (note for Americans, the 1st floor is above the ground floor), so you do have to take your luggage up a flight of stairs first.

The man at the desk (here during the mornings and at night) was really friendly, nice and helpful. Check-in was easy, and we were given the triple room facing the lounge. Initially, I was worried about noise of people coming in/out, but it was never a problem. He spoke very good English and gave us a recommendation to a nearby restaurant (Il Genovese) for lunch and we had such a great time that we went back for dinner the next night! He also helped print out the train schedule to/from Camogli for our day trip the next day.

He also cautioned us about the small alleyways off Via di San Lorenzo and to NEVER go into them at night, and to walk QUICKLY on San Lorenzo from the Port back to Via 20 Settembre. My friend and I had accidentally gone into the alleyways during the day, and I can see why we'd be very uncomfortable at night - they were dark, lots of hidden areas and full of sketchy people.

Luckily, the area around the hotel was very well-lit, full of people and safe. It was near the Central Market where we purchased bread and fruits/cheese for our train ride to Marseille, France.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank jl637
Reviewed 27 November 2011

Very good value for money. We choose this hotel for our business trip to Genoa and decided not to spend too much money on comfort that’s why we were very pleasant suprised. This was absolutely good choice. Very clean, with nice furniture and good mattress and pillows. The location is perfect and near to all Genoa main spots. Our host was kind and on our disposal all the time. Breakfast is very basic but with perfect coffee, of course. We booked rooms in two other hotels in Genoa in this period (end of October) for our business associates and turned out that them all were freezing in their rooms during night, while we didn’t have that problem.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank mianaBG
Reviewed 22 September 2011

We stayed in Gonova for two nights on our way through to Tuscany.
This hotel is a converted large 19th century apartment. It is basic but has good character from the vintage lift to the quirky and very helpful and friendly staff who work there. The bathroom is very, very small, but the main room is fine and the location is 10 min walk to all the main areas of Genova.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple