“The best in Genova” 4 of 5 bubbles

Holiday Inn Genoa City
Ranked #14 of 90 Hotels in Genoa
“The best in Genova”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

I have stayed at this establishment several times in the past. Nice deco. The rooms are very comfortable and well appointed. The beds are extremely comfortable. The staff are very friendly. I would return to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank Xabf
GOAIT, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Genoa City, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Dear Guest,
thank you for your review. We are happy you enjoyed your stay at Holiday Inn Genoa City.

Ilaria

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

Front desk staff made our experience here poor. They were unhelpful when we enquired about visiting sites, totally ignored me for 15 min when laughing on the phoone, and our room was very hot , even though winter and the air conditioning did not work. They told us to open the window, which was imposiible as it was locked. They finally turned up with unlocking device. There is a major freeway right outside the window and it is quite noisy.
all that said , it is a very clean modern hotl at good price, and right near the port, as we were leaving on a cruise ship from here.

i would stay here again because of the location, but don't expact much service!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience writing on tripadvisor..

We regret the standards of service fell short of your expectations and we ask you to accept our most sincere apologies.

We are ready to welcoming you again upon your next stay, trying then to regain your confidence.

Yours sincerely,
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

The hotel is located facing the harbour and is about half an hours walk along the harbour (past the cruise ships) into the old town. The hotel is new and the rooms are large, clean and well furnished. The restaurant and breakfast were good and the staff very friendly.

Nothing spectacular but this is a fine hotel. And the building almost directly across the road is a mini-shopping mall although it doesn't really look like one.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Sean1902

Yours sincerely,
Warsaw, Poland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2011

I took a taxi from the main Train Station, it took 10 minutes to get to the hotel and the cost of the journey was about 8 EUR. Upon arrival we asked for two single beds, they did not have those ready, so upgraded us to a Club Room and rolled in another smaller bed. It was a bed/breakfast rate - the breakfast buffet was alright, classic italian style, with melons, tomatoes, mozarellas and several other goods, it is worth the money, as there are no places to eat near the hotel. Even though the hotel is next to a busy road, we could not hear anything through the windows. There is a carrfour store about 100 meters away with a nice variety of goods, pizza and sandwiches made to order. A 200 meter walk will take you to the subway that will get you to almost anywhere in the city. I would stay there again if I had to travel to Genoa

Room Tip: Get early for the breakfast, as still the croisants and the bread is warm
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank tomasztomczuk
GOAIT, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Genoa City, responded to this review, 24 October 2013

Ipswich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2011

This hotel is quite easy to find if you know where it is. The directions were quite good but I missed the turning and drove down to the Old Port - however that was the only mistake and I got there by luck - there appear to be no street names anywhere. There are signs directing you to the car park but it is not a drive for the faint hearted. You go up blind alleys and then through what looks like a derelict building into the car park. It is very narrow and people have the happy knack of leaving their cars wherever the fancy takes them with little thought for others. To get to this Shangri La you have to turn hairpin tight and steep corners and frankly if anything were to come the others way - it would be impossible to back up. The steepness of the ramp was matched by the price - if you had any nails left after that drive you could save them for the 12 Euro nightly charge which frankly is cheeky. Added to this there are two automatic (sic) gates that have to open. It if forbidding, foreboding, frankly scary. One feels as though getting into Fort Knox or a Nuclear facility would be more welcoming - and all of this will (according to the Director) be changed when a new ramp is built in December.

That's the bad bit - the good bit is that the hotel was very clean, very modern and extremely well appointed. The front desk were quite good in the main. I was not made to feel terribly welcome by the man who was on duty as he had a cold and rather disdainful air. He was the only one - the ladies were delightful and most helpful - even if they thought that I was German! (we all thought that was hilarious when I let on).

My room was on the second floor and faced the back - the view was of a wall and I was thankful for it. The front gives out onto two main roads and a set of traffic lights. The traffic is constant as is the noise. I have to warn all - this is not a hotel in a quiet situation nor a terribly convenient one. I had no problem as I used the Metro and it was only 5 minutes away. My room had a King Size bed - well not all Kings are Big are they? It was well appointed but there was room for nothing to be unpacked - you are clearly expected to stay a short time only. I slept quite well undisturbed by the strident traffic in the street as I was far too far away from it. I should mention that the TV package is one of the best that I have ever seen in any hotel anywhere - only it was a bit complicated to operate. Once one got the hang of it, there was no problem. WiFi was free and the reception was excellent. Everything was in very good order - the bathroom was excellent and had decent size towel and lashings of hot water even though the hotel was really quite busy. There were gangs of sports girls roaming the corridors and being quite noisy as no on spoke if they could not shout. That said, I found them all quite fun and there was not a peep out of them that night.

Breakfast was chaotic as they were over-run by people and the staff were run off their feet. I came, had my breakfast, and was noticed by no one. I served myself - I thought that the coffee was the worst that I have ever drunk in Italy - but probably did well enough elsewhere.

The price was extremely reasonable for such good quality but remember that you are some way out of town and strolling in there is really not feasible.

So - would I return - yes I would - as long as I could sleep facing the back.!

Room Tip: Insist on the back of the building
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank PAULWOODS1
GOAIT, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Genoa City, responded to this review, 28 October 2013