“Popular but crowded”

Ranked #70 of 453 Restaurants in Udine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 19 March 2018

The restauant is near a branch of the University of Udine and we went there for dinner with a number of colleagues after an academic event. We had a nice table on the upper level but the whole place became very full in a short time and consequently rather noisy, which made the conversation difficult. The food was generally good and it included various dishes of the traditional cuisine of Friuli. Service was kind but rather slow, probably due to the large number of customers. Wine was very good.

Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

I made a booking for Friday lunch for the three of us as I passed by earlier that morning. Without a booking I doubt if we would have been able to get in.
On arrival at 12.30 the place was already filling up with locals. We were shown to a table upstairs and had a chance to look around. People were enjoying their meals, and in the background some merriment from a university student group celebrating the graduation of one of their number.
However we were soon able to order from the many items on the menu. The antipasto selection included octopus salad that our friend lunching with us described as delicious. We both had pasta, mine was tagliatelle with a rabbit and porcini sauce, and my wife's was penne arrabbiata. Both were very good with plenty of ingredients. The arrabbiata had a deal of chilli as expected.
Our main courses were: stinco di maiale (despite its name it was a delicious roasted pork hock with roast potatoes); tagliata on a bed of rocket (grilled rump steak, sliced with parmesan, and very tender); and stracchetti with porcini mushrooms (beef casserole). We had vino rosso della casa with the food. It was a nice dry red.
We didn't have room for a dessert but the tarts and cakes looked wonderful.
We found the service very good.

Reviewed 1 January 2018

I attended an academic conference in Udine and the conference organisers organised the conference gala meal here. It is not a big restaurant, and the conference was small - invitation only. The restaurant is situated in what I would call a small piazza, the building is very old, but lovely and with loads of character. Food is excellent - we had finger food served outside while we waited for our tables which was nice, but a little too greasy for my liking, but the home made crisps were to die for.

Inside we (20 guests) were led to the rear, up a stairs and through two more dining rooms to the front of the building. Wine was excellent, but the beer was fantastic - fresh, refreshing and light in character, but not light in alcohol, perfect for the food. The food was excellent, typically Italian - simple, tasty, light, local and just perfect. Could not fault it.

Loved the waitress in charge, I think she might have been the owner. She had a temper and was giving out about us quite loudly (I asked one of the conference organiser what she was saying and he told me she was not happy with how we were giving our orders to her, even though most at the meal were not Italian). I asked her for more beer and she gave out to me for interrupting her food service, but when she brought it I said 'Grazie Mamma'. Well, the tirade from her, it was brilliant. She told me she was not my mamma and a lot more (all this was translated for me), but none of it was abusive, just Italian hot blood and short temper. I apologised for any offence I caused and she was gracious, but I loved the character. As we would say in Ireland - she was great craic.

Reviewed 12 October 2017 via mobile

The staff at Hotel Suite recommended this place as a great place to taste local cuisine. They were absolutely right. We loved everything about Ai Frati, even the funny name. The decor, helpful service, food and wine were all outstanding. The place was filled with many happy diners, including many locals by the looks of things. The waitress was delighted when we asked her to be in our photo. My dad's home town did not disappoint. Thanks.

Reviewed 23 September 2017 via mobile

The waiter (blond lady) was extremely rude and unpolite. She did not give us a chance to say what we want and leave us waiting for her without letting us know what the problem is. We went to another restaurant.

2  Thank Natalija P