“Return visit past 5 years”
Review of Trattoria Ai Frati

Trattoria Ai Frati
Ranked #30 of 439 Restaurants in Udine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 14 October 2016

We travel to Udine every year to visit some friends . A local shopkeeper recommended we try since we always seek local trattorias frequented by locals.the first experience is walking in the front door immediately being introduced to a group of locals sipping vino snacking on SAN DAn prosciutto. WE knew we were on to something good seeing the joy and listening to the colorful conversation.THe owner runs the front and her boys run the back.THe dining room was designed about 100 years ago which gives it some old world charm.Ask for the menu with the daily or weekly specials.if they are not in print make sure the 2 assistants in the small room inform you cause that is where you want to go to taste some of the areas best pastas.cheese,prosciutto,manzo,or other secondi dishes.We have had the local gnocchi with Gorgonzola,incredible arribiata,or the orzo fagioli.Definetaly order the local vino Bianca or Rossi as you will treated to some of the truly great wines from this famous wine growing area.of course at7 EUros can.t go wrong.desserts vary day to day but panna cotta or tiramisu always sparkle. If you are looking for some trumped up fancy place please avoid this.DOn,t get bogged down by some of these reviews cause I can guarrentee you will be happy you experienced what locals do every day for pranzo.please keep in mind your food is made fresh so don,t be impatient.ENJOY

Reviewed 22 August 2016 via mobile

I first discovered Trattoria Ai Frati in 2006 while I was visiting from America and it was love at first bite!
I have come every year since and have never missed an opportunity to dine at this locally famous establishment.

Ai Frati is located in an historic building on the banks of a little river and looks exactly the way a rustic Italian eatery is supposed to look.

The food is outstanding and is one of my top culinary experiences. I always order the local specialties of the region such as frico and polenta, Gnocchi with goose ragout, tagliatelle with rabbit ragout and porcini mushrooms, the list goes on... I wish I had four stomaches like a cow so I could keep eating!

I'm thrilled to be celebrating the 10th anniversary of this culinary love affair - Complimenti!!

Reviewed 12 August 2016 via mobile

Nice spot in the old town, true italian. Food is just in the average, service is awful. Rude team of waiters and owners always under stress, which is reversed to clients.
Getting the bill is an adventure: instead of waiting 1/2 hour at you table, clients stay in line at the cashier (privacy is totally excluded) to adventorously (totally confusion) get it and pay.

1  Thank ezio1964
Reviewed 11 July 2016 via mobile

Very nice trattoria for a casual dinner out a short walk away from the busy squares. Good local wine and very very nice steak. Friendly and helpful staff. Would go back here myself, and recommend it to others

Reviewed 13 March 2016 via mobile

The waiter (blond lady) was extremely rude and unpolite towards us. Food was average food for average price. Sometimes the bad service gives you the worst humour and ruins a happy evening and dinner.
Will never come back!