“Fabrizio is the perfect host”

Antica Trattoria Le Barettine
Ranked #66 of 936 Restaurants in Trieste
Price range: USD 40 - USD 51
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My colleague recommended Le Barretine and it proved to be the ebst meal I have had in Triest yet. The fish was excellent and the local wine was a good choice. We couldn't decide between desserts so we took two: the chocolate cake - freshly baked and dripping inside and the semifredo. It was hard to pick a winner. They were both excellent. The night we were there was quiet. The restaurant has an authentic feel to it and is charmingly simple without being spartan. Fabrizio, who looked after us, was charming and attentive and knowledgeable to boot. A great evening and well recommended!

Date of visit: May 2014

Reviewed 9 June 2013

My husband said it well: this was a memorable meal. Unpretentious and unfussy, carefully, even loviingly prepared and beautifully presented food made from fresh ingredients of the highest quality. We were welcomed with a small glass of prosecco and a basket of nice soft doughy breads and a crustier kind as well. I had an antipasto of sea bream, peaches, and basil. The texture of the fish, which had been diced along with the peaches, was perfect--tender and sweet to the palate. You could discern each of the flavors of the three main ingredients, but they harmonized beautifully. (The menu specified strawberries, not peaches, but the wonderful waitress apologized for the lack of berries.). I followed that with a pasta dish--spaghettini with sardines, which were a fresh-caught local variety. Nothing like the stuff in those tins from the supermarket. This was a subtle, flavorful version of puttanesca, much less salty and tomato-y. My husband, who can eat shellfish (I am, sadly, allergic), feasted on tiny clams, a local variety, on the half shell--he said they were sweet and unlike any he has ever had. He followed that with a strongly textured dish of thick fusilli with tiny shrimp and cuttlefish. He loved it. I drank a crisp regional white wine recommended by the waitrss, the acidity of which was just the thing to balance the olive oil in the food. There are secondi piatti--various main-course fish dishe--as well, but we felt no need for them and shared a small piece of hot chocolate cake made with olive oil (yum) and topped with a thin white wafer of some kind and a scoop of vanilla ice cream, giving us a variety of textures and temperatures. That had been preceded by a plate of little shortbread cookies. We ended our meal with cappuccino. We were very, very happy.

The staff was very helpful and welcoming, and indulged our lack of Italian. The locals brought their dogs, and I do believe a waitress placed some food in a dog bowl for one pooch. Oh, one more thing, in response to a prior review. The service is not slow except by design--the expectation is that you will linger over your food, and the custom here is not to hurry you out or even offer a check until you ask.

Date of visit: June 2013
Reviewed 15 May 2013

Don't judge the food by the extremely plain exterior or the frumpy interior decoration. The seafood is extremely fresh and very well prepared. We especially liked our appetizers: Thin slices of raw fish enhanced by just a bit of shaved white asparagus and delicious regional olive oil and a deconstructed caesar salad with beautiful chunks of barely cooked tuna. And of course, the regional white wines go beautifully with the seafood.

Date of visit: May 2013
Reviewed 8 October 2012

My wife and I shared five courses and all were perfectly prepared. We especially enjoyed a tuna in ginger sauce and the sea bass. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

Date of visit: October 2012
Reviewed 16 June 2012

What a beautiful little spot! I simply told my waiter to serve me what he thought was the best local specialities along with local wines. Talk about being in good hands! The girl who picked my wines was so passionate about the area and explained nuances of what i was presented. Matched? You bet! Imagine a spagetti with fresh anchovies and incredible ripe tomatoes - wow! And the wine along side was stunning! I never would have ordered this and what a revelation. I finished with a fried seafood on the order of a fritto misto. Well, the angels sang on each sensual bite! I finished with a local amaro, I described it to a friend as the forest after a summer rain. OK, 4 courses paired with great wines and a great amaro finish - just 70 euros. Remeber, your milage may vary....

Date of visit: June 2012