“excellent wine list”

Cuisines: Italian, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 3 September 2018

Really nice restaurant off the main square. Lots of "extras" with the meal. We don't often do wine flights but given the reasonable pricing, we decided to and discovered a new wine that we absolutely loved. Many thanks to the sommelier for putting up with our many questions! Fritto misto was especially well done.

Cristina O, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Chimera di Bacco, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2018

Dear Guest,
thank you so much for writing such a lovely review for our Chimera.
We are glad to read that you enjoyed the location and the little touches we like to offer to our guests. As to the many questions you asked, it was a pleasure for us to be given the opportunity to advise and reply because we like to share the knowledge of our territory.
You say that our Fritto Misto was so well done and tasty... we do hope that these nice recollections will bring you back some time in the future, should you have the chance to do so.
Looking very much forward to it,

Ristorante La Chimera di Bacco

Write a ReviewReviews (1,033)

Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

Our experience at this establishment was faultless from start to finish. I took the advice of others and wrote ahead to reserve a table. Prompt and courteous response was matched by a professional and reassuring welcome when we arrived. The meal itself was outstanding- both unusual and really delicious. We asked for a wine that they no longer had and they went to great care to find us a great alternative. Genuinely lovely evening. Highly recommended

Cristina O, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Chimera di Bacco, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2018

Dear Guest,
we are so glad to read that your experience here was rewarding and really worth having. Thank you for your words of great appreciation, which make us proud but at the same time aware that we need to do our best as our customers really deserve it.
As you say, we like to offer delicious but at the same time unusual specialties that are served with great wines and with ‘delightful service’.
We are grateful for being recommended to other potential customers and let’s hope there will be other opportunities to welcome you again some time in the future.
We look very much forward to it.

Reviewed 18 August 2018

Chimera di Bacco sits just off the impressive, main square of Trieste. Not exactly on what could be described as the “tourist-trail” but in the little warren of streets between the Piazza Unità d’Italia and the Roman theatre. We visited for three reasons. The first and most important was the fact that it was open on a Monday. It is common in Italy for quite a number of restaurants to close on Monday. Second it was, (at the time of our visit), ranked number one for “Fine dining” on Tripadvisor. Third, we had seen the restaurant and the chef/patron on an Italian TV programme, competing against three other restaurants in Trieste. A competition that Chimera di Bacco won by the way. More about that later.

On a very hot Monday, we requested and got, a nice cool indoor table. There are plenty of attractive outdoor tables, should the weather permit. The decor indoors is pleasant enough, with a relaxed, lightly informal air - so far so good. The staff on the other hand, seemed edgy and sullen - apart that is from a lady (I took to be the sommelier), who was smiling and friendly. The possible reason for some of the staff’s nervousness became apparent during our lunch. When the chef/patron appeared, (not dressed for service), he entered the kitchen and through the open door came very loud sounds, of a very animated “discussion”. The row didn’t spill out into the restaurant itself but the atmosphere suddenly took on an even more frosty feel.

Anyway, what about the food? We chose our lunch from an admirably broad ranging menu and an equally impressive, (and reasonably priced), wine list. Before our starters arrived, we were presented with a “pre-starter” of a small bowl of potato “veloute” - absolutely delicious! I could have happily downed an entire bowl of that. I must also mention the bread basket which was impressive, both in terms of quality and variety. Then things started to go downhill - rapidly.

My wife’s antipasti of “crispy octopus” on a bed of polenta and “saor alla triestina” was dreadful. The polenta and accompaniments were fine but the octopus was burned. Not “crispy”, not cooked very well - but burned. I stress this as I don’t want anyone to believe that this was how it was supposed to be. It was simply an utter mess. To stress this further, let me say that I’m a “well browned toast” kind of guy and the octopus was way over the top - even for me. It should have been sent back but after what we had heard from the kitchen - perhaps not?

My pasta with truffle was much, much better. Good, well-cooked pasta and loads of freshly sliced truffle. It was impressive until the last strands of pasta, where the lake of liquid butter that had dressed it with, was discovered. I know that using butter is the correct way to dress this pasta dish but you can have too much of a good thing. There must have been half a cup of butter remaining in the bottom of my bowl.

If my wife expected things to improve with her pasta - she was in for a disappointment. Described as “Paccheri, dressed with shelled clams, pistachio pesto and preserved mullet roe” it was hugely disappointing - again. The whole dish was dominated by the crude, dark green/grey pistachio sauce and the flavour of the “bottarga” absolutely swamped the flavour of the few shelled-clams in the dish.

Watching my wife struggle with her pasta, made me glad I had chose the sea-bass, on a bed of pumpkin mousse. It looked as pretty as a picture, with two large fillets of fish, separated by a slice of vegetable in batter. It was good until my first mouthful, which was dominated by the taste of salt. This was a tragedy as the fish itself had been reasonably well cooked, (a little overcooked for my tastes), but the salt dominated everything. Unpleasant.

After the first two courses, we had a short debate about whether or not to order dessert. If it followed the trend, then surely it would be a disappointing end. We decided to give it a try and boy...we were glad we did. The desserts were as good as the other courses were disappointing. My wife had her favourite - zabaglione, with fresh fruits. Here they provided a little local twist on the traditional, by using a sweet “passito” wine instead of the customary Marsala. A noble experiment but the flavour of the wine was a little muted. Nevertheless, my wife thoroughly enjoyed it and remarked that the biscuits that accompanied it were just fantastic and I can personally vouch for that - they were exquisite. I had a chocolatey, coffee flavoured mousse which was velvety and rich. Simply delicious.

Coffee and grappa were of a high standard, as was the bottle of the flagship “Nussbaumer” from the superb Cantina Tramin that we had with the meal.

Chimera di Bacco is rated number one for “Fine dining” and thirty eighth overall in Trieste on Tripadvisor. I have to say that my fellow reviewers either caught this place on a good day - or we caught it on a bad one. From the four restaurants “with reputations” where we ate in Trieste, Chimera di Bacco was the only one not listed in this year’s Italian food guide and to be honest - I can see, (and taste), why. It was simply not good enough on so many levels. I can excuse a little surliness from staff, especially one that must get as many tourists through the door as this - but I cannot excuse a shouting match spilling out from the kitchen during service. On the Italian TV programme i mentioned at the start, (where we saw this place for the first time), it won the contest but on our experience - I struggle to understand why. We ate at the restaurant that came second, (on two occasions), and without a shadow of a doubt, was better than Chimera di Bacco - in every respect. It’s your money, you make your choices.

1  Thank JandApe
Reviewed 18 August 2018 via mobile

After having toured the city of Trieste, we were looking for a lunch spot at a less busy place and ended up at chimera di bacco. The food was delicious, especially the scallops and the lobster pasta. The portions had just the right size so that there was still room for desert - I can recommend the cheese cake.

Cristina O, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Chimera di Bacco, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2018

Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing our Chimera during your stay in Trieste.
We are pleased to read your words of appreciation for the dishes you had; we prepare them with great care and attention to the selection of high quality ingredients.
It was a pleasure to welcome you and we hope that you will have other opportunities to visit us again in the future and try other specialties from our menu.
Best wishes from all of us,

Reviewed 1 August 2018 via mobile

This hidden gem of a restaurant is spectacular! We had the 4 course fish menu. Every dish was delicious, fresh and innovative. I don’t normally write reviews but this restaurant deserves the accolades for a beautiful delicious dining experience.

Cristina O, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Chimera di Bacco, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2018

Dear Steve,
thank you so much for defining La Chimera in such a poetic way.
We are so glad to read that every dish was appreciated and that you enjoyed the innovative touch we like to add to our cuisine.
Your words make us proud and they are also a great source of motivation to continue doing our job in the best possible way.
Looking very much forward to meeting you again here at our restaurant.