“Oh my”
Review of L'Erba Del Re

L'Erba Del Re
Reserve with
L'Erba Del Re is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 834 Restaurants in Modena
Cuisines: Italian, Contemporary
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: L'Erba del Re offers you a different food experience, in the middle town. Our menu is about tasty creative food and traditional dishes. You can enjoy dishes dedicated to meat or fish, choosing à la carte or from our tasting menus. Our commitment is to offer you a place where you train your senses, experimenting with new flavors and combinations and accompanying your culinary experience with a wine list of Italian and foreign labels.
Reviewed 4 October 2018 via mobile

We called but we were told reservation is by website only. ok... we had to provide credit card info for booking and there would be a 160eur punishment if no show or late changes.

I thought it was because they had to prepare fresh ingredients so it can be understood but hey we were making reservation for the coming hour dude. Such things never happened to me before in other fine dining venues.

We booked for 8pm, and we were 20 mins early. The door was deadly locked, and it's supposed to open at 8, we waited for a while until someone knocked hard and staff opened the door. Surprisingly, things were all ready inside and there's a guest sitting there already.

Really really awkward opening for us.

Amuse Bouche was fine and the 1st course of beef tartare and the 2nd of sicilian shrimp were good. Then, we were blown away by the next two salty dishes, especially the pasta with chicken, it was so salty that became almost bitter.

We wonder how a michelin restaurant could be like that, until the moment the chef came with a few Japanese journalists we saw earlier in the back where he was teaching them how to make pasta.
After the chef was back into kitchen, things went well. Ok I see, maybe the sous-chef loves salt and the chef was too busy to manage the kitchen?
But... hey, I've got Michelin chef friends and they never spent that much time with me when there were other guests.

Desserts were less than a star for sure, and wine pairing focused too much on local stuff while forgettiing the fact that Emilia Romagna does't produce superb wines. The lambruscco rose was a car-crash, though the sweet wine was well made and saved a score.

About service, things are stand procedure but you won't feel love. Even when the chef was nice enough to introduce a course at the table, you'd feel the 'ah let me get this done and go back to my TV' kind of carelessness.

Overall, it should have potential as some of the dishes are quite well made, take the pigeon for example (more likely sous-vide to a very innovative status). But, there is a looooong way to go, even just to keep the star. But maybe business is more important as it was almost empty, which I understand.

Date of visit: October 2018
1  Thank Lizhi X

Reviewed 20 August 2018 via mobile

Loved the service and the menu tasting. However I was a little disappointed with the fact that the restaurant closes early. I made a reservation for 9:30PM as I knew I would make it to the city only around 8:00PM, so I didn’t want to be late to the restaurant. When I got there, the waitress were all looking at our table for most of the time as they were only with another couples table at the restaurant. Made us a little uncomfortable.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed 2 August 2018 via mobile

We had the Tasting Menu Tradition 4 courses with wine pairing.
Pros: Delicious Italian dishes and wines. Attentive service. Nice interior and background music. Good value for money.
Cons: None.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 12 June 2018 via mobile

In the old part of Modena, this modern restaurant is tucked away but don't be fooled. We had a wonderful experience: 8 courses with matching wines. Everything was excellent, the service, the dishes from amuses to the gnoccho/chocolate/ham desert. The wines were top, mostly regional and paired very well with the dishes. Worth every minute and value for money.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 10 March 2018

We visited for dinner and opted for the Espressione degustation menu, ten courses of pure delight. Each dish was a work of art, perfectly balanced and went down a treat accompanied by some gorgeous wines. The service was very knowledgeable, friendly and efficient. Admittedly we visited this restaurant during our only night in Modena because we could not get in at Osteria Francescana. However we enjoyed the night so much that we would certainly opt for L'Erba Del Re by default the next time we are in town.

Date of visit: March 2018