“New Place Great Eats”

Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Esquilino
Reviewed 10 August 2018

Passed this small restaurant on my first night in Rome but alas was unable to secure a table however the staff were incredibly helpful and booked a table for the following evening.
There is a small seasonal menu of locally sourced ingredients freshly prepared and beautifully presented and with the open kitchen you can see the pasta being rolled formed and plated. These can be complemented by a good selection of local and international wines

Date of visit: August 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (1,230)

Reviewed 27 July 2018 via mobile

Traditional Roman yet creative menu. Lots of somewhat adventurous such as rabbit and brain - we opted for ravioli (best I have eaten ever), red onion quiche-type dish, quail, stuffed calamari. Great fresh ingredients. Beware,there's a line outside even at 10 pm. so reserve.

Date of visit: July 2018
2  Thank Tamamama
Reviewed 14 July 2018 via mobile

I am currently in Rome with my mother on a weekend trip to the city - I wanted to try at least one traditional, more fine dining experience whilst here that was not the usual pizza/tourist fare, and after searching for a suitable choice found this place online. The great reviews, and, as a big fan, finding out that the late, wonderful Anthony Bourdain had visited the restaurant, were reasons enough to convince us to go. The restaurant opens on an evening from 8 till around 11. We knew it was unlikely that we would get a table without booking so arrived ten minutes before opening - there was already a queue. Luckily, when the doors opened, we were welcomed in and allocated a table that was free until 9:15. Definitely book or arrive early!! My mother had a glass of white wine and I had a bottle of Peroni. We read the menu in delight and I ordered the ricotta stuffed aubergine to start and the porcini mushroom risotto, both specials of the day (I’m vegetarian and there was more than enough to choose from). My mother got the red onion tart to start and the battered monkfish. She didn’t realise that it was required to order a separate side dish, but after all the delicious bread that was also served to us, it was more than enough. The menu is small but has plenty of choice and you can watch the mamma of the restaurant out back in the kitchen making everything fresh. We were the only non-Italians in there at that point and it was brilliant. The servers were still polite to us and a menu was provided in English but we felt like we were experiencing a slice of true Rome. We skipped desert but it all sounded amazing, especially the daily special, pistachio ice cream and liquorice sauce. 100% go and experience this for yourself. It is rustic (lambs brains and deep fried olives sit on the menu), but simple, and will absolutely not disappoint.

Date of visit: July 2018
1  Thank Molly H
Reviewed 3 July 2018 via mobile

We were slightly dubious arriving in the fairly run down area but had read great reviews and we were not disappointed
6 of us served efficiently , my daughter was a little tough to find something for but that’s more down to me taking her to a more grown up place, my son loved it!
Gorgeous food, Italian with a definite twist! Definitely look beyond the unassuming facade!

Date of visit: June 2018
1  Thank Nicola H
Reviewed 2 July 2018 via mobile

A trattoria really to recommend in Rome. We has two fantastic pastas with well combined red wine. Especially the mushroom pasta was one of the best ever. Rounded with recommended Grappa. Just ask the waiter - he will match perfectly. Enjoyed!

Date of visit: June 2018

Been to Trattoria Monti? Share your experiences!