See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 13 April 2014

The only two redeeming qualities of this hotel are the location to the train station and the low price. You must know what you're getting for the low low cost is not much. My wife and I stayed here in April 2014 right before Easter and the prices for all of Rome skyrocketed. Without regard to Easter, this place was still way below the average price for the region. The location is very ideal as well as it is only 4 blocks away (2-4 minute walk) from the huge main train station, Termini Station, which is also where all the bus routes run through. One evening during our trip we were near Trevi Fountain and had dinner. The evening wore on and we ended up at a wine/jazz bar late into the night. Before we knew it, the trains were closed and we had to walk back to the hotel. The entire walk took under 30 minutes and we felt safe during the entire walk.

Now for the bad. You get what you pay for, or rather, you don't get what you don't pay for. The owners speak broken English (which is fine; it's Italy and I'm in their country) and it is sometimes confusing. They wanted our passports for an hour to "write stuff down" which was weird. The building houses at least four or five other establishments and it is very confusing as to who owns who, or who you go to for help. They didn't tell us to ring a specific buzzer among many buzzers to have the staff unlock the main door for the Ventura hallway (you don't have a key to that). After 9:00pm you have to go to the Hotel Philia reception desk (where the owners daughter works…) to have them let you in. Once in your room it is cold, very cold. I will say, however, that during a hot summer this may not be a bad thing. In the beginning of April it was extremely cold and the air in the room is very dank and musty. It is so musty that we left our passports on the desk (so we wouldn't forget them for the next day) at the end of the bed and in the morning the cover and first few pages had warped up into the air and half curled! However, if you hang a shirt off the wardrobe at night it won't have wrinkles the next day (I know this from experience as well). The bed is very firm, which is good if you like this. They did provide ample blankets which was nice so sleeping was fine as long as you stayed under the covers. The walls are extremely thin and you can hear everything in the hallways and adjoining rooms. You can't really open the window (our room was on the interior of the building) because it opens into a musty courtyard and my wife felt birds would fly in the room. The worst thing about the room was the shower - there is no shower curtain. Or door. It is an old calcified shower head that points toward the far wall above a 3'x4' basin in which they call a shower. I put down every towel and cloth that my wife and I wouldn't need to dry off with on the floor to make a barricade because the floor slants towards the door. It almost worked. One of the holes on the shower head sprays across the room to the opposite wall. The water misting off your body soaks the toilet and the sink. I put the trash can next to the shower and the bag was quite full of water at the end of the shower. I am not exaggerating the amount of mayhem caused by this. Just think of your own shower, take off the door or curtain, and think of the amount of water that would get everywhere, every day. Within the first few minutes that we walked in the room my wife exclaimed that it smelled like fresh paint in the room. I have a feeling that they paint the room a lot with the amount of (mold) damage that must occur from the amount of moisture in the room. A $25 solution would fix most of this. As a result the door jam wood has rotted away so too much water on the floor not caught by the towels will escape into the room.

This is a no frills place so you should know all of that. Do not expect a lot and you can't be let down. No cell phone reception due to the ground floor we were on, and didn't feel like even asking how much the wifi rates were. No breakfast, although I'm sure we could have eaten at the the Hotel Philia's dining room. We had a very important e-mail that I had to print (Vatican entry tickets) and was worried we wouldn't be able to find a place to print them. We asked the reception and they had their daughter, over at the Hotel Philia, to print it out for us. She let me come into the office and sign into my e-mail and print it at no cost - which was nice! We adapted to the messy bathroom and the room was always made and the bathroom dried with clean dry towels every day upon our return. We got used to asking Hotel Philia to let us in after 9:00pm. We paid in cash, which is what their website said we'd have to do, with no extra fees put on us (besides taxes which the website said would be added), and no surprises. We had to check out very early (4:30am) and notified them of this and we were instructed to drop off the keys at - you guessed it - Hotel Philia. There are a few great restaurants within walking distance of the hotel which is also nice. Again, all in all, don't expect much but don't expect to pay much either! Should we ever come to Rome again, I would look for a nicer place to stay, but if this was still the cheapest, I would book this place again.

Room Tip: We had an inner room and heard someone's trumpet practice in the middle of the day.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John C
Reviewed 16 June 2013

We booked with Eurostar Hotel for 4 nights online for a 10% discount. When we arrived, we were taken across to this hotel and told they would take us as the other hotel has "maintenance issues", but they are both owned by the same person.

As normal, when we checked in they asked for our passports and then told us we need to pay first to get them back. Then we were told it's cash only. Then we were told the hotel tax which should have been 16 euros was 60 euros. Then we were told that we didn't get the 10% discount even though we had already pre-booked online and had all the paperwork with us. We stayed there one night because we had no choice at that time if night (11pm). The room was dirty and there was no internet.

The next day we eventually found the owner across the street and confronted him, he said he owned another hotel in the same building on the next floor up and would put us there. He told us to pay for the one night and get our passports back, we had to get him to call across the road to confirm that we would only pay what we had to. We went back to Ventura Hotel and asked to pay the bill, what a joke this turned into. It took 3 people for us to pay 63 euros for the night, we gave them 64 euros and it took them about 5 minutes of huffing and puffing before they came back to us with lots of small coins, they slapped the change in our hand and walked away.

This place is a complete and utter joke, nobody speaks a word of English and in my opinion, they're running an ongoing scam. You book through one hotel, they send you to another and then the scam begins. They put you in this place first to try and give you the worst service for your money and then if you start to complain they send you upstairs to a better hotel.

After all this messing around we went up stairs to Stargate Hotel, this place was much better and what we had originally expected. The room was clean, the guy at the desk was friendly, they had wifi even though they switch it off at night and it was secure.

Unless it's absolutely essential, I wouldn't recommend you stay here for one second, the staff leave you feeling very nervous about leaving your stuff there. If you have no choice,DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR PASSPORTS - we've never had a hotel keep our passports. Take a photocopy with you.

You have been warned, this is a tourist trap.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Hoquester
Reviewed 26 March 2013

The hotel is a few minutes walk from Termini station, so very convenient to go around Rome, this being the biggest advantage, ans also its price.
The room is basic, the walls maybe needed repainting, bathroom was recently refurbished. We were there for New Year's Eve, and the heating was even too high in the room, as we opened the windows before going to sleep, so a big plus.
In the same building, at different floors, there are other hotels, which is a bit strange, but it didn't bother us.
The owner at the reception, an old guy in his 70s didn't speak anything else but Italian, it's good that their maid was from our country and we also had somebody in the group speaking Italian.
If I go back to Rome, I consider staying again at this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Alina_Ursu
Reviewed 15 September 2011

The building holds several hotels... Ventura is on the 3rd floor. Reception is on the 1st floor. I booked a single room with my own bathroom. The rooms was clean, very small but I didn't need more. The bathroom was clean though without shower curtain so every day the whole bathroom got totally wet! The location is great, a couple of block from Roma Termini and very near to Castro Pretorio (subway entrance - Line B).

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 October 2010

I have just been on a tour of Rome with a group of Romanian pensioners and due to the world economic crisis. Our budget was a minimal looking our status. We all eleven persons, have only good words take in consideration our choice. Living conditions for us was the best for our choice. Hotel is clean offering good conditions and a good price. If personal I will be in future in situation to turn back in Rome, that’s 100% sure will be same choice. Situated in center of Rome city and offering a lot of possibilities, explain my choice.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends