“Fun, Laughter, oh! and Food!”

Spicy Italian Life - Cooking Classes Rome
Ranked #23 of 78 Classes & Workshops in Rome
More attraction details
Owner description: We organize Cooking Classes in Rome, and Cooking Classes, Wine and Oil tasting in Umbria.In the cooking lesson, all the ingredients come directly from the producers, we do not use commercial food, and we tell our "students" the history of the ingredients and producers.Our idea comes from a great passion in researching high quality products of the Italian cusine by visiting and talking to producers all over the Country.Our greatest desire is now to share the traditions of our Country with visitors: by telling them, but particularly by actually living the experience making tourists immerse themselves as much as possible in the true Italian daily life and in a family environment.An experience that people can bring home in their "personal baggage"!
Reviewed 15 June 2015

After reviewing numerous cooking classes and relying on ratings from trip advisor, I settled on Spicy Italian Life. After my initial exchange with Anna, I was excited that she was open to also hosting my 10 and 13 year old daughters. The day was full of fun and laughter, starting with freshly squeezed orange juice and coffee and progressing to cooking and then eating.

Anna, Roberto and Alessandra, made the whole day fun and entertaining. And while I cook at home all the time, my girls walked away with a tangible, experience that even mom couldn't give them. They enjoyed participating in the process of making bread, pasta, gnocchi, ragu sauce and a wonderful dessert, and then enjoying their efforts at the end. All of this takes place in Anna's home and what a difference that makes. Anna and her family are more than generous with their time and energy and it made for a wonderful day.

I would recommend this class to anyone who wants their cooking classes served with a side of laughter and fun. Anna, Alessandra, Marco and Roberto became new friends who I hope to see again on my next trip to Rome!

Date of experience: June 2015
3  Thank Okegs

Reviewed 5 June 2015 via mobile

We spent a day with Anna and Roberto during our honeymoon in Rome and it was a great experience! From picking us up from the station, to hosting us at their beautiful house, to guiding us through cooking their cuisine, giving us hints to cooking Italian food and giving us tips for the rest of our travels...it was all wonderful. I highly recommend spending an afternoon with them if you happen to be in Rome. Just remember to only have a light breakfast as the lunch will be filling! Bravo Anna, Roberto & Marco!

Date of experience: June 2015
1  Thank carmenor5989
Reviewed 4 June 2015

Grazie to Anna, Alessandra and Marco for a great day! It was just the 3 of us (Mom, son 23, and daughter 21) and and they welcomed us into their home and really treated us like family. Marco picked us up at the metro station and we were welcomed with coffee and conversation. We had input in the menu - we requested pesto and declined the mushrooms. Ingredients were fresh, instruction was fun and hands on. And the eating! Mama Mia! It really was delicious, if I do say so myself! The olive oil tasting was a very nice experience too. We are looking forward to recreating our great meal at home! We highly recommend Spicy Life and would not hesitate to do it again!

1  Thank Lori S
Reviewed 1 June 2015

We booked a class with Spicy Italian Life after looking over a number of options in Rome - and we couldn't be happier with our choice! After a short drive from EUR Magliana station by Marco, we found ourselves welcomed into Anna and Alessandra's beautiful family home. Over the following eight (!) hours, we learned not just how to cook some classic Roman food, but also became fast friends with our wonderful hosts. Make no mistake - although the food is divine, the lessons instantly memorable, and the wine plentiful, it is Anna, Alessandra, Marco, and Roberto that are the true highlights of the course. You will never find a more enthusiastic, knowledgeable, friendly, and patient group of teachers.

For the class itself, we learned to create handmade fettucine and gnocchi, the former for which we prepared a lovely ragu and the latter for which we made an absolutely spectacular zucchini and pancetta sauce with saffron - easily the most delicious thing we ate during our entire trip to Italy. We also learned to make a veal course with lemon and herbs that we hand-picked from the family garden, and made tiramisu from scratch for dessert. Lastly, Anna led an olive oil tasting, during which she taught us how to properly taste the oil and the characteristics to consider. We tried three different olive oils and were astonished at how different they could be, once you know what to look for.

As I mentioned, all of this occurred over the course of nearly eight hours - in other words, we got to spend a full day with the family! This despite the fact that there were only three of us there for the class that day. Anna and the others were incredibly generous with their time, and made sure that every one of us received plenty of one-on-one attention at every step. They also took care of all the "onerous" tasks - cleaning, clearing, etc - so that we could focus purely on the fun stuff! The cooking itself was spread out throughout the day, and generously interspersed with breaks for top-notch espresso, wine, home-made limoncello, and lively conversation.

Between the fantastic food and drink, memorable lessons, relaxing pace, and wonderful company, this class was absolutely the highlight of our trip to Italy. We cannot recommend Spicy Italian Life enough.

2  Thank tarrsk
See more reviews
Reviewed 1 June 2015

This cooking class was phenomenal! It was a fun way to learn how to make several delicious Italian dishes and was an enjoyable time spending a day with new Italian friends. The whole day went very smoothly. I took the metro for about 15mins from the center of the city and was picked up promptly at the metro station. During the ride to the class, I got an opportunity to see another part of Rome which was newer with more green-space and quite pretty. The outdoor cooking space was perfect and the right size for the class. We started the day leisurely getting to know each other over espresso, and then started cooking… and cooking… and cooking! All the while talking, laughing and learning a lot about Italy and Rome. The menu that was selected had great variety and we got to make bread, bruschetta, two different types of homemade pasta with different sauces/dressings, a veal dish with a lemon wine sauce, and homemade tiramisu (my favorite of the day!). Everything was made from scratch and everyone in the class got to try basically every step of every meal. As an added bonus, we didn't even have to do any cleaning between dishes or between preparations… it was magically taken care of for us between each step. (I wish I could bring that back into my own kitchen along with the recipes!) After most of the work was done, we relaxed and chatted over a glass of wine and did olive oil tasting. Then, it was time to eat! Each course was distinct and delicious. Not only was this one of my favorite experiences in Rome, the meal was the best one I had during the entire week of my stay in Rome. I can't wait to make these recipes for friends back home! If you are considering doing a cooking class while you are in Rome, this is definitely the one to pick! The class size is strictly limited to create an intimate environment and to give everyone a chance to participate. The instructors are a lot of fun and really take their time to ensure you enjoy your day… no rushing at all. My only regret is that if I had done the class earlier during my visit, I would have also had a chance to book the tour into the countryside another day with Anna and gang!

1  Thank Jet-Setta_10