“Mixed lunch”

Price range: USD 18 - USD 35
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Trastevere
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Popped in here for lunch because of the smiling host at the door and the cosy atmosphere. Unfortunately the food wasn't up to the surroundings. The fiori di zucca were surrounded with thick batter that tasted fishy. However the meatball pasta was very satisfying - homemade pasta, fine-textured, large meatball (singular!) in a tasty sauce. The house red wine was a bit too light for my taste.

Write a ReviewReviews (7,214)

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We came here with high hopes after reading reviews about great food and an authentic italian feel. However we were so disappointed! The food was.... not horrible... but just not very exciting. I could have made it at home in a microwave! The pizza was just a base with cheese on and the odd tomato thrown on. The Gnocci was nice but nothing special. The service was friendly but we were served so quickly that we were whipped in and back out onto the street within an hour. It just wasn’t the traditional italian we were looking for. Yes it was reasonably priced, and there was nothing unpleasant about it, but considering the great reviews we had expected more. I think Rome has much more to offer in terms of memorable dining experiences!

Reviewed 5 April 2018

The restaurant has everything you could want for an Italian food experience in Roma. The whole atmosphere is friendly and warm. If you have to wait, wine shots are on the house. The service is fast and entertaining (Vito is an experience!) and the food is arguably good. The portions are big for Italian standards and the prices are relatively low. However there is lots of people and not enough space. That means that it can be loud and uncomfortable, especially at rush hours.

Reviewed 4 April 2018

We were a group of 4 people. We had to wait in line for approx. 20 minutes to get in but it was worth it. We ordered arancini (suppli), parma e mozzarella, pizza rustica, sage and butter ravioli, lasagna, panna cotta and chocolate salami. All the food was great! House wines were good as well, especially the white one. The place was busy but the service was fast and professional. Best meal we had in Rome! Reasonably priced too. What could be improved: dimmer lightning

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

My husband and I popped in here after a wander around Travastere. We were pretty early as we had a flight to catch, it was about 11.30 am when we turned up so the place was pretty quiet. There was a good choice of dishes on the menu and we liked the authentic italian style of the place.

Service was polite, friendly and relaxed, we were served by Lucia and Vito.

The food was good, delicious lasagne with lovely thick sheets of pasta ( so different to lasagne in the UK!) The pizza was also good and hearty. Sadly we did not have time to try the Tirimasu, maybe next time!

Our meal was rounded off with a complimentary limoncello for my husband and some biscotti for me as I was pregnant!

Overall we were pleased we chose Otello for our last meal in Rome, we'd had a lot of street food this holiday but it was nice to sit down in a proper Trattoria. My only complaint is how few toilets there were, it's a big restaurant but there was only one toilet each for men and women and even though the restaurant only had about 6 patrons the ladies was always engaged meaning I had to use the gents! Also the hand dryers are very old and inefficient and could do with replacing. I can imagine the queues for the toilets being quite substantial when the restaurant is busier in the evenings.

1  Thank Mrs_Ramjam

Been to Otello? Share your experiences!