“Would stay there again.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Argentina Hotel

Argentina Hotel
Ranked #548 of 1,291 Hotels in Rome
Marilia, SP
“Would stay there again.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2011

I'm on my Eurotrip with my husband. We chose 4 cities and Rome was the third one. We loved the hotel in London, with a large room and were a little disappointed with the size of the Paris Hotel room, so we didn't know what to expect with this one, The hotel is on the 4th floor of a building in a major street 2 minutes from Termini Station. It's pretty easy to find, not a problem to walk there even with heavy lugagge. There is a elevator and it works just fine. What a surprise to find out that the room was large, the bed was confortable, there was an AC that worked perfectly and the bathroom was great!! Breakfast is simple but included, and it was good enough for us. The ONLY complain I have is the absense of wireless internet conection. Hopefully, by the time I go back to Europe, they will have fixed this "little problem", because I would love to stay with them again!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Naperville, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2011

This hotel is located in a large, older building consisting of hotels or pensions on every floor. The Argentina is the highest starred hotel in the building and is on the fourth floor, reached by an ancient and tiny lift, or lots of wide, marble stairs. The hotel itself consists of probably not more than ten rooms and a small breakfast room. It has a permanently staffed reception.

Pros:
Great location for the rail and bus terminals and within easy walking distance of Santa Maria Maggiore, the Coliseum and Forum. We even walked back from Villa Borghese one afternoon in about 20 minutes.
We had a 3 bed room (me and 2 older children) which was spacious enough and quiet with a large, airy bathroom. Both had windows that opened onto a quiet interior courtyard and full Italian style shutters.
Breakfast was fine but not spectacular. We stayed at other three star hotels and had much better breakfasts.
Plenty of restaurants nearby (try the side roads in particular).

Cons:
The breakfast room, reception area was certainly air conditioned. I think the rooms were supposed to be as well via a rather strange central vent in the ceiling, but it only was effective if you were lying directly underneath it. Fortunately, Rome wasn't particularly hot when we were there and we just slept with the sheets on the bed. I imagine the room would have been stifling in really hot weather.
The reception staff was a rather mixed bag in terms of professionalism and helpfulness. One individual encouraged my faltering Italian and had quite good knowledge about bus services etc. Another spent a lot of the time chain smoking in the corridor directly outside the entrance to the hotel, with the result that the reception area and breakfast room often reeked of smoke.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Foster City, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2011

I've traveled enough in Europe to know that a Motel 6 in America is the same level of quality of a 3/4 star hotel in most European countries. Sure it's not about the hotel, but the experiences outside that matter. But it's still difficult to overcome when your hotel is not very comfortable and coming home each evening is painful.

Hotel Argentina is not horrible in my opinion, but it's certainly not a quality establishment.
In case you are used to American Hotels, here are some warnings to consider-

Let me comment on the amenities that the hotel description advertises:
Bar, 24-Hour Front Desk, Non-Smoking Rooms, Elevator, Express Check-In/Check-Out, Safe, Soundproofed Rooms, Heating, Baggage Storage, Air Conditioning

Bar- My wet bar at home is more inviting. I guess they DO have alcohol available, so that qualifies it as a "Bar."

Elevator- The elevator must be 80 years old and can only hold 3 people at a time- 2 if you have any luggage. It wouldn't be as bad except trying to stop the door from closing on my wife, I stopped it with my arm. The door didn't stop when it felt resistance. Instead it pressed hard on my arm, scratching my forearm, drawing blood. Wonderful "elevator."

Soundproofed Rooms- Each time our neighbor took a call in the evening, we could hear his voice pretty clearly as he chuckled and laughed.

Air Conditioning- This is the ONLY positive of this hotel. THe A/C was an individual unit and the front desk was able to turn it on at our request. All other hotels in Italy had central air and the A/C was not active, being April.

I noticed the street sign for the hotel advertised Satellite TV. Satelite TV consists of the same 6 Italian stations, repeated at least 5 times each. They may count that as Satellite TV, but I certainly do not.

Location was decent. We used the metro and hopped on and off at the Termini Station.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Athens Greece
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2010

The only thing positive that I could think about this hotel is its location. And when Isay location I do not mean that it was nice (not at all) but central as Termini station was 3 min on foot. The "hotel" is on the 4th floor of an old and dated building. The breakfast room is a 5 cm2 dark room. The room is too noisy, but clean and the bathroom is surely spacy. As my room was looking at the backyard of another building, it was too dark and even though it was clean, there was a funny bad smell coming from the toilet. The price for a single room was too high (82 euros) related to the quality. I would never go back at this dark, old, melancolic hotel.

ps: one other positive thing that just came to my mind was the afternoon shift receptionist, he was too kind!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Rozmariee

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

melbourne victoria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2010

My husband and i travelled with our 18mth old. Found this hotel on the internet and was pleased with what we had. As rated the hotel was extremely clean and in a fantastic location 'if' you were wanting to sight see by walk. The Rome train station is literally 7-10min by walk. Bathroom facilities were great also. I would recommend this to a young family with one child...as there are no cot facilities. I have not seen the other rooms but if you email the hotel they are wonderful to answer any questions.
I was however dissapointed with the airconditioning. After a full day of sightseeing in the heat, we arrived to very poor aircon on some days. The air was not consistant however when in room 106 (2 single beds..but tiny) you had an air con system in the room which was fantastic! Breakfast is above average and the staff and manager are extremely helpful. Overall a great hotel for a small family on a budget.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family