“Good if you pay for and/or get the better rooms”
Review of Domus Aventina

Domus Aventina
Ranked #637 of 1,261 Hotels in Rome
Paris
“Good if you pay for and/or get the better rooms”
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I stayed 3 nights in June on a business trip. The location was excellent for me because I could walk to my place of work but as well because of its proximity to restaurants in the evening. The hotel is on a quiet street and staff are helpful. I had booked a single room at a great price through Trip Advisor but the room I was given initially was small, dank and dark with a single window giving onto the plumbing chute. I was able to negotiate an upgrade to a better room for about 20 euros additional per day. The room I was given had a lovely view over the garden to the church next door and was bright and quiet. I thought I was in a different hotel! My only critique is that the room had wall to wall carpet which is never a good idea in hotels particularly in hot climates: they always smell and are a repository for dirt, bugs and the rest despite the best efforts of vacuum cleaners. Being allergic to pollens, dust, mites, etc. I had to take my antihistamines before going to bed. My other critique is the breakfast: right up there with airline breakfasts! Awful synthetic juice and lousy coffee ... in Italy!!!! The gentleman taking care of breakfast was himself embarrassed. So what's the bottom line? Good hotel overall with a few drawbacks that one can live with if you get a good price. Easier to live with if you are on vacation (and can have plenty of wine to drink before going to bed) than on business (and can only take antihistamines because you have to work the next day).

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the garden and the church. Ask if they have rooms without wall to wall carpet...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 13 August 2011

The hotel was ok. The location is About 15 minutes walk to the colosseum. It's also close to the circus Maximus (personally I don't see what the hype about this sight. It's just a one giant hole). I would only recommend it to someone who prefers to be in a quite part if town and doesn't mind the transport to other interesting and fun places. In the future I would pay a little more to stay near the Spanish steps or the Trevi fountain. There are more things go do in the evenings.

• Stayed August 2011
San Diego, California
Reviewed 29 July 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed in Domus Aventina during our stay in Rome in January 2011. Overall it was a really good experience. The location was excellent. It was a couple of blocks from the the Circus Maximus and a short walk to the Colosseum. The metro is about 2-3 blocks away which allows for really easy access to all of the major sites. The staff was friendly and helpful (especially when we were trying to get our lost luggage back from the airport). The room was nice with a very large bathroom by European standards.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gdawh10
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 11 July 2011

We stayed from June 29, 2011 - July 6, 2011 and had the best time! It started with their airport transportation service. We chose to utilize the service and it was money well spent; the driver was very friendly and got us there in short order. The desk person was very friendly at check-in as was all their staff. very willing to help. Breakfast was a good start, not too much since the real joy of Roma is eating evening meal! Our room had a balcony and it was a real relaxer to sit there and drink a bottle of wine. The good location to the major sites and a bus trip to further away areas is a plus. The neighborhood location is ideal for relaxing and soaking in the city! Give this wonderful place consideration when looking for a good hotel to stay in.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony. the view is lovely at night and our room had a fold out couch, so there was extra...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 16 June 2011

The hotel Domus Aventina is situated on top of one of 7 hills of Rome. It is nice residential area: quiet streets with beautiful gardens. The only noise we experienced during our stay was from a concert on Circus Maximus, which made us close all the windows, but that does not happen often as I understand.
Rooms are quite spacious with small verandas facing the side wall of an old church which is right next to hotel. Bathrooms and rooms are very clean and well-furnished.
The staff of hotel provided all that was necessary, so the level of service is very good.
I would give the hotel five out of five, as we loved our stay in Rome, but there were several things that could be improved.
I would say that hotel was quite expensive for us, even with the discount we received from tripadvisor, but that is my personal opinion, as we were able to get cheaper hotels of the same quality in other major cities of Italy. Of course, the position of the hotel is one of the reasons for such price.
The breakfasts we had in the restaurant were nice: muesli, cornflakes, yogurts, croissants, boiled eggs, etc. ,although could be improved. As we are in Italy, I would prefer to see real cheese, not processed cheese that we were served, the same about ham, which was canned ham, not real meat. As it was summer, I would also expect to have some fruits for breakfast, and there were none. However, breakfasts were very pleasant thanks to the barista, who was very friendly, always smiling and singing along the songs, while preparing coffee))
Do: visit residential area to the south of Aventina, where you can experience real Italian life, also there are many small shops and cafes to visit, pizzeria that we really liked and it is just a nice place to explore.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family