All reviews parliament building italian parliament rooftop terrace trevi fountain great location spanish steps police presence central location within walking distance travel agent heart of rome via del corso street noise noisy at night walked everywhere tourist sites around the corner
Reviewed 8 October 2005

It amazes me that Colonna Palace is getting bad reviews. I just stayed there from September 16 to the 21. Lobby area was beautiful, staff were more then helpful, they give you a map when checking in and point out all the major tourist sites. Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, etc not more then a 10 minute walk in any direction. Hotel is located directly across from the Parliament Building with law enforcement outside 24 hours a day making your stay feel even safer. I stayed in a single room (due to a very loud snoring travel mate), single bed that was adequate, floral print draperies, desk, tv (which included CNN World News everyday) and bathroom with shower. Air conditioning was always working although it didn't really cool the room down enough. Beautiful oak finished woodwork with shutter windows. If you do open the windows of course you are going to get street noise, you are in Rome for crying out loud! Breakfast was lovely sitting on the roof garden terrace overlooking the V.E. Monument and rooftops. I would stay here again.

Date of stay: September 2005
12  Thank 62Racing
Reviewed 4 October 2005

Just returned from Rome and stayed 3 nights at the Colonna Palace. Good location. Disappointed in bathroom - no water pressure, in fact the water dribbles out and sometimes stops. When we inquired about air conditioning we were informed they would look into it. We did not have air conditioning during our stay. Wanted to check on some rumors we heard on the streets regarding terrorist attacks, but there was not one TV station in English. When we inquired about CNN we were informed that it was not available that day - but it wasn't available any day! Newspapers in hotel only in Italian. Would not recommend.

Date of stay: October 2005
5  Thank 111BarbaraR
Reviewed 25 September 2005

I shave stayed here twice. The first time I had a reasonable room - small but it had all the amenites, and the location is fantastic. I returned 2 years later. This time I was given a terrible room at the top of the hotel. Air conditioning was turned off, but the street is too noisy to sleep with open windows. The staff are rude. I will not return, there are plenty of better alternatives.

Date of stay: September 2005
10  Thank Panoptes
Reviewed 20 September 2005

Having been to Rome before, I knew that having a hotel in the right location is key to an enjoyable trip. I picked this hotel for exactly that reason, and found that we were never far from anywhere we wanted to go.
Dated? Definitely, but when you are selecting a hotel for a trip to Rome, the main criteria has to be location, as you really do not spend that much time in your room.
When we were in our room, we opened up the shutters and had a wonderful view of Rome's terracotta roof tops, with the Vitriano monument in clear sight.
We had hot water for a well earned soak, clean towels, and a lovely roof top terrace breakfast to set us up for the day with.
If you want sleek and polish, this isn't for you. Strangely thats what I normally lean towards, however, I do try to pick my accommodation based on the type of trip I'm on, so for a 3 night trip to Rome, this was ideal for us.

Date of stay: August 2005
8  Thank Wifelet
Reviewed 6 August 2005

The hotel had some advantages: great location, quiet (on a traffic free square), lovely roof terrace for breakfast and I did get working air conditioning. It really does need some money spending on it and the carpets in particular are really really dirty. Overall, for central Rome, it was good value for money but like all things, you get what you pay for so if you are expecting luxury, you won't find it here.

Date of stay: August 2005