All reviewsparliament buildingitalian parliamentrooftop terracetrevi fountaingreat locationspanish stepspolice presencecentral locationwithin walking distancetravel agentheart of romevia del corsonoisy at nightwalked everywherestreet noisetourist sitesaround the corner
Reviewed 25 September 2012

The location of this hotel is just perfect. You need 20 min walking to Colosseum, 20 min to Vatican, 5 min to Treviso fountains, and 3 min to Pantheon! Also, the location is quite secure, with the Italian parliament building right in front. You have 24/7 armed guards on duty :) I think that among all the hotels I've stayed at, this one has just the best location period. Everything is very close. Now, the hotel has small rooms, In order to use the AC/electricity, you need to plug the room key into the reader, and keep it there. While it's not an inconvenience, for 2 people it may be if one of them needs to go somewhere. Wi-Fi is $7.
For the price, this is probably the best hotel in Rome.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2012

situated close to the presidential palace the hotel is a good starting point for exciursions in Rome The terrase serving as a breakfast room had a marvellous view of central Rome .The rooms where somewhat old but clean . The bar was expensive .

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 September 2012

This was the final hotel that I stayed in on my tour of Italy. I had spent the night before in the extremely comfortable tMassimo d'Azeglio Hotel located near the termini, an easy departure point for those of us in the tour who were leaving Italy. My very experienced travel agent advised me to move to a more central location to enjoy sight seeing of Rome on foot.
Located in the Piazza Colonna with the Carabinieri ( the elite Italian Police) on guard right outside ( their headquarters is located on the other side of the Piazza) the hotel is a 2 minute walk to the Pantheon, 3 minutes to the exquisite St Mary's church and about 5 mins to the Piazza Navona.
I was able to get my bearings from the roof top garden and used the "Wedding Cake" as my major landmark, along with a map to navigate my way around Rome, alone and on foot.

The staff were very efficient and friendly, however there was an issue that spoiled our stay.
What had been advertised as a 4 star hotel with air con was very misleading.
It was 34 degrees outside and my father was unwell with a bout of food poisoning ( not from the hotel). We had transferred across from the beautifully appointed Massimo d'Azeglio Hotel that had airconditioning and soundproofed, double glazed windows. The staff at the Colonna Palace refused to turn the air on. We were offered fans but they were very noisy and ineffective. My father was very unwell and unable to rest in his room in the heat. He did try to sit in the lobby, hoping that it would be cooler, but it was not. In our rooms it was 29 degrees C. We come from subtropical Australia and are used to summer heat and humidity, but have well ventilated homes, quiet ceiling fans and air con. We heard other guests complaining about the same thing.
We fully understand why our agent suggested we move, but we wish we had stayed in the much nicer d'Azeglio as the rooms were beautifully furnished and the breakfast much better.

Room Tip: Don't stay anywhere near the lifts, it kept me awake going up and down all night and the doors opening and closing were noisy.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 September 2012

This hotel was reccommended by my boss and it was wonderful. You won't find a safer place to stay or one that is more centrally located. Most places are within a 10-20 minute walk and if it's too far to walk public transportation is just a few steps away. Wonderful shops, places to eat, and so much more. Breakfast is wonderful on the roof. The rooms are not too small, not too large and the bathroom has been updated. If you like to read at night you might want to bring a book-light. Internet is not free so be prepared to coughup some extra euro every day. I'll stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank stpauliegirl33
Reviewed 21 September 2012

This was the only hotel that we actually booked ahead of time on our trip to Italy. I picked it for the rooftop garden and it was all that I hoped for. Stunning views of Rome from that garden!!
Breakfast (very good we thought) was served in that garden and we ended some of our sightseeing days and nights up there with a bottle of wine etc. The room was huge and the bathroom was quite large as well. The room was clean and beds comfortable. After arriving we went out and literally stumbled upon the Pantheon and then later stumbled upon Trevi Fountain. We saw both of those sights several times during our 4 night stay. Our room overlooked the Piazza so the Carbineri were there all the time and could be a little noisy, but we like to keep the windows open so expected the noise. Had no trouble sleeping though!! The staff was professional and a little stuffy for us but we kept smiling at them and finally they smiled back. The main reason this hotel works so well is it's location. It is within walking distance of many of the sights you want to see. And again the views from the Rooftop garden are incredible!!
FYI- If you have the hotel call a cab for you, it seems to cost about 6 Euros more than if you walk to the cab stop. Also when arriving by train, it should only be about 7 Euros to get to the hotel. We only found this out when going back to the train station. We were charged 19 Euros to get to the hotel from the train station.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family